Non-police mobile speed cameras

I went through a diversion just past 1am this morning somewhere in Felixstowe. There were yellow signs along the whole diversion saying 20mph max. At one point I inadvertently rolled to a criminally insane 24mph on a downhill, and as I cornered a bend a camera van was there, rear doors facing oncoming traffic! So I hit the brakes immediately and shaved off 2 or 3mph.

Anyway, it wasn’t a police vehicle. It was some construction company or other with the words “safety camera” written on the side of it. Are these actually catching speeding motorists, or just scaring you into watching your speed? If so, can their happy snapping lead to points and fine etc? Would 24mph even trigger it? It’s nagging at the back of my mind.

Put your mind at ease. Mandatory speed limits have a red circle round them. Yellow signs are advisory if my memory serves me well.It’s probably ten years since I picked up a highway code. I would have thought one of your professional forum pals would have informed you by now as being professionals you would think they would know basic rules. :laughing:

They are checking that the site vehicles are observing on-site speed limits, and other safety rules are being observed.

As mentioned, only circular signs with a red border are mandatory, anything else is advisory.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I rolled through one of these speed gun things ran by local residents and got a letter from the police.
They can’t do much more than that as it needs a policeman present to enforce it
The guys in the back of the vans operate the equipment on behalf of the police

Soldier z:

It takes a special kind of ■■■■ to want to have a job like that.
The fact that they ARE ‘that type’ who would want it, should disqualify them from getting the job. :smiling_imp:

Think you need to have been bullied at school, no mates.and/or dominated by your Mrs to qualify…or even to have no ■■■■■■ experience (other than with yourself)

I always make a point of giving them some kind of hand gesture as a greeting.

robroy:

Soldier z:

It takes a special kind of [zb] to want to have a job like that.
The fact that they ARE ‘that type’ who would want it, should disqualify them from getting the job. :smiling_imp:

Think you need to have been bullied at school, no mates.and/or dominated by your Mrs to qualify…or even to have no ■■■■■■ experience (other than with yourself)

I always make a point of giving them some kind of hand gesture as a greeting.

They are Covid Marshalls on their day off from operating the camera van

Reminds me of a time many years ago during the water shortage when there was a 24hr,convoy of tankers leading water up the M62 to fill up the reservoir at Scammonden.The villagers of Ainley weren’t impressed by the traffic and complained to the police about speeding lorries.From what I heard no lorry drivers were nicked but every villager with a car ended up with a fine or points.

jakethesnake:
Put your mind at ease. Mandatory speed limits have a red circle round them. Yellow signs are advisory if my memory serves me well.It’s probably ten years since I picked up a highway code. I would have thought one of your professional forum pals would have informed you by now as being professionals you would think they would know basic rules. :laughing:

That’s what I thought regarding yellow signs vs. red circle. Makes me wonder why that van was sat there at all though, as I don’t think it was for site traffic, as it wasn’t a site, just a diversion route full of lorries heading to the docks.

Ah well, I’ll just forget it for now. Every other time I’ve had that nagging feeling, I heard nothing.