Non HGV

Hi all. I am looking into buying a Ford Cargo (10 tonne caravan hauler or a tractor unit - Please dont say ‘‘why?’’ as this thread is not about the reason for buying a Cargo). To take to truckshows. If i was to do so, can the truck be unclassified as a HGV so that it can be driven without a tacho, or must it run with a tacho in? It will never carry goods for personal gain (only maybe our caravan, or the tractor unit if i was to get 2 Cargos). Also, i am class one trained, but a friend of mine (who would take it shows when i am busy) took his test in a car last year so can only drive upto 3.5tonnne. I guess this means its a no-no for him to drive this without taking his class 2?

I hope this makes sence as i have just finished a night shift and am in zombie mode.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

if it was a 7.5 tonner you could be exempt tacho rules for personal use, the exemption for personal use for over 7.5t ended with the rules changed in April this year ( EU reg 561 2006) - so it’s got to be used with a tacho !

you’re right about your friend - he’s got to pass a C test

denis,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I thought this would be the case, but i thought it might be best to ask first. My friend hopes to get wagon driving later this year, but he was unsure when, so i did not want him/me to get in trouble because he was driving illegally.

Thanks a million

Andy

Could it be downplated to 7.5t? This would place it into the tacho exempt rules although your friend would still have to upgrade his licence (to either C or C1)

This is not really something i know about, but !!! Just to point you in the right direction isn’t there some regs about show vehicles being exempt? You’ll get more answers to this when some of the other guys read this thread. I’m pretty sure that your aim of taxing and using it as private (and light goods, or maybe not ight goods) can be achieved.

Mike-C:
This is not really something i know about, but !!! Just to point you in the right direction isn’t there some regs about show vehicles being exempt?

Not since the April 11 rule changes.

if it was a 7.5 tonner you could be exempt tacho rules for personal use, the exemption for personal use for over 7.5t ended with the rules changed in April this year ( EU reg 561 2006) - so it’s got to be used with a tacho !

As long as you register the vehicle as a private vehicle and never use it for haulage it can be taxed for the same price as your car and you do not need a tacho. You can carry your own stuff just the same as you can in your car or van (for example getting stuff from the DIY places and taking it home) but you can NOT use it for haulage or be paid to carry goods.

There is one for sale on Ebay

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? … otohosting