Non commercial Use

HI im this question has been aked before but here goes:
friend of mine is driving to majorca to move house he is takeing a 7.5 tonne, is he expexempt from divers regs ect? I have just read this on p10 of the new regulations booklet at the top of this forum under exemptions:
‘Vehicles or combinations of vehicles with a maximum
permissible mass not exceeding 7.5 tonnes used for
the non-commercial carriage of goods.’

‘Examples could include a person moving house
and goods carried by a non-profit making group
or registered charity.’

red7jase:
friend of mine is driving to majorca to move house he is takeing a 7.5 tonne, is he expexempt from divers regs ect? I have just read this on p10 of the new regulations booklet at the top of this forum under exemptions:

or registered charity.’

There’s your answer :wink:

As long as it’s not for hire or reward he is exempt from the EC Regulations, however, he should make the hire company aware that the vehicle is leaving the UK and ask for a letter from them confirming that they as the owners are aware and he has their permission. Just saves on any hassles if he is stopped by the police

and you should make a list of all that is on the truck and that it belongs to the owner.If you or the driver is getting paid to deliver the truck and contents it is not exempt and you would need a tachco…

Not being funny , but even if you are and it looks like you are exempt by your txt ,
i would still stick to the hours and tachos etc , could you imagine trying to explaine to a spanish/french officer your exempt! might not be the easyiest

Also as previously mentioned you need to tell hire Co as they will need to make sure your covered for european cover , not just insurance but mech/tyres etc!

OLT:
and you should make a list of all that is on the truck and that it belongs to the owner.If you or the driver is getting paid to deliver the truck and contents it is not exempt and you would need a tachco…

…and maybe an operators licence? :wink:

red7jase:

or registered charity.’

Is that EU-wide, or just a UK derogation?

Fallmonk:
Not being funny , but even if you are and it looks like you are exempt by your txt ,
i would still stick to the hours and tachos etc , could you imagine trying to explaine to a spanish/french officer your exempt! might not be the easyiest

That’s certainly our experience :slight_smile:

On the documentation front, see if you can get the hire company to give you an (original) VE103 form.

I personally think that you would struggle to even hire a 7.5tonner without showing proof of your operators license.

That is definately the experience from round here. The ones that will rent to anyone will struggle to go 20miles let alone 1200miles.

if noone will let u hire a truck then why not buy one on ebay or classified adds then after moving sell it back on…it will be your own truck then.tax as private hgv…no opertaors licence to worry about.

MrFlibble:

red7jase:

or registered charity.’

Is that EU-wide, or just a UK derogation?

That’s a EU exemption, EC 561/2006 article 3(h).

Still worth taking the advise in this thread and stick to the tacho regulations though, has to be easier in the long run I would have thought.

jayeastanglia:
if noone will let u hire a truck then why not buy one on ebay or classified adds then after moving sell it back on…it will be your own truck then.tax as private hgv…no opertaors licence to worry about.

Good point…
BUT
If you are going to go to that expense and trouble you might as well pay someone to move you down there.