Nolans (nee Raymonds) now circling the corpse

Raymonds ■■■■■■■■■ come true. A 1000 jobless drivers, looking for work…

Keep well away from John Raymond £7.90 per hour .Absolute jokers .

Yeah…BUT…when its near xmas, and your jobless, even £8 an hour is better than nothing…especially if you have a job offer just up the road…at least its a step in the right direction for offering an opportunity in the first place.good for them…bad rates or not.

truckyboy:
Yeah…BUT…when its near xmas, and your jobless, even £8 an hour is better than nothing…especially if you have a job offer just up the road…at least its a step in the right direction for offering an opportunity in the first place.good for them…bad rates or not.

Problem with that line of thinking mate is that these companies think that their derisory pay rates are acceptable because someone WILL always work for them. The sooner we as a whole don’t even consider working for these shysters they will be forced to either significantly increase their pay or realise that there business model is wrong and simply shut up shop.

Either one is a win win as far as I’m concerned.

truckyboy:

Nah it’s ■■■■■ .Agencies are desperate at the minute so be best to go that route.

Too many drivers under value themselves and allow these type of companies flourish. It is not acceptable to offer a driver a low rate of pay in hoping that they think it is better than nothing. I can tell you now that nothing is what the norm will become if anyone takes up their offers. It also has a knock on effect with the going rates in general. The main reason why this industry is full of crap wages is the fact that the industry is full of crap drivers who under value and cut their rates in order to get a driving position they would otherwise not be able to get.

UKtramp:
Too many drivers under value themselves and allow these type of companies flourish. It is not acceptable to offer a driver a low rate of pay in hoping that they think it is better than nothing.

It is acceptable, that’s how a free market economy works.

The reluctance of drivers to do agency - pushes up their rates.
The abundance of drivers prepared to drive for sub-£10ph pay - keeps full timer rates at those sorts of joke levels.

Simples.

Are the supermarkets offering £18ph this coming Christmas season like in recent years, or are they going to bit their tongues this year, because such a high profile driver layoff - has actually happened before Christmas Eve this time around? (Thinking of Citylink now…)

UKtramp:
Too many drivers under value themselves and allow these type of companies flourish. It is not acceptable to offer a driver a low rate of pay in hoping that they think it is better than nothing. I can tell you now that nothing is what the norm will become if anyone takes up their offers. It also has a knock on effect with the going rates in general. The main reason why this industry is full of crap wages is the fact that the industry is full of crap drivers who under value and cut their rates in order to get a driving position they would otherwise not be able to get.

^
This
The likes of those that want drivers at £Slave rates need to be boycotted. Standing together firm is what its about…did i actually just say that :unamused: Of course that will never happen and drivers will just do the usual, rollover and get shafted…
The last driver i took on for some temporary extra work with a rental truck i paid 15eur ph and 21eur after 40hrs, 30eur night out. For that you get a driver with experience who knows how to do the job and some…

Harry Monk:

You may find it acceptable Harry but I most certainly do not. A free market does not mean you leave men feeling that they are better off working for a low wage rather than for none. That is only acceptable to men who should be seeking employment elsewhere and the firms that would employ these going out of business. A free market economy does not thrive on bullying tactics. Decent drivers would not accept this nor should they, every driver that takes on low paid work fuels these parasites and ensures that the rates will not increase. Your thinking of supply and demand where this happens.

Yeah,go work for nolans and get run into the ground,when they were raymonds their drivers were doing 15 hr days,constantly on the go,i know cos i knew someone who worked there (might be different under nolans now).

UKtramp:

Harry Monk:

You may find it acceptable Harry but I most certainly do not. A free market does not mean you leave men feeling that they are better off working for a low wage rather than for none. That is only acceptable to men who should be seeking employment elsewhere and the firms that would employ these going out of business. A free market economy does not thrive on bullying tactics. Decent drivers would not accept this nor should they, every driver that takes on low paid work fuels these parasites and ensures that the rates will not increase. Your thinking of supply and demand where this happens.

I personally wouldn’t work for the money on offer (my basic is £11.50 an hour) but the haulier in question is free to advertise the job at any rate they choose, and drivers are free to accept or decline as they choose. I’m fortunate in the sense that I don’t need to work and can afford to decline work and wait for something better to come along, many folk who have mortgages to pay and a family to feed don’t have that luxury.

truckman020:
Yeah,go work for nolans and get run into the ground,when they were raymonds their drivers were doing 15 hr days,constantly on the go,i know cos i knew someone who worked there (might be different under nolans now).

Yeh it’ll be a lot different now with Nolan I reckon, they won’t get away as easy as 15s constantly. :smiley:

Winseer:
The reluctance of drivers to do agency - pushes up their rates.
The abundance of drivers prepared to drive for sub-£10ph pay - keeps full timer rates at those sorts of joke levels.

Simples.

Are the supermarkets offering £18ph this coming Christmas season like in recent years, or are they going to bit their tongues this year, because such a high profile driver layoff - has actually happened before Christmas Eve this time around? (Thinking of Citylink now…)

No, I’m doing M&S fridges. £23 ph this Sunday, £17 week days

£7.90 ph? the transport industry is well and truly on its arse :neutral_face:

Harry Monk:

UKtramp:

Harry Monk:

I personally wouldn’t work for the money on offer (my basic is £11.50 an hour) but the haulier in question is free to advertise the job at any rate they choose, and drivers are free to accept or decline as they choose. I’m fortunate in the sense that I don’t need to work and can afford to decline work and wait for something better to come along, many folk who have mortgages to pay and a family to feed don’t have that luxury.

Yes fully appreciate that point Harry, they are not breaking the law, but they should be.

Clarke’s too almost word for word . Not sure who was first

chester1:
Clarke’s too almost word for word . Not sure who was first

Think I’d rather be unemployed than work for Clarke’s again!

What a lovely gesture.

The pay is crap we know this and its for profit transport based in South Wales one of the poorest regions of Europe.

If a haulier can get drivers for minimum wage then they will, its about making money not operating a charity, if you live in the area where they are based then you have little choice, if it means paying you’re rent/mortgage then you do it, all this hand ringing about poor pay gets boring after a time if you don’t live near the middle of the country or large urban centres then don’t expect big wages, nobody is forcing you.

A pay rate of £7.90 is acceptable if drivers accept it as said market forces at work. Our cost of living varies in different parts of the country. If I needed the job I would take it , but would be constantly looking for better.