Noisy rear suspension

Hi all - i have recently brought a late 2005 daf cf 75 - 360 six wheeled concrete mixer, i have noticed that when i am loaded and go off road that there is a dreaful grounching noise from the suspension, presumably at the rear - has any one else had this - only i spoke to a mate whos got one and he says his does it to and that is normal — really if it is then fine but i cant believe that it is normal- are there any sihns i should be looking at - i noticed that there is a 12 mm bolt on the top of a round part in the middle of the springs - should this have oil or grease in ? help me boys and girls its very annoying cheers lee

try spraying the rear leaf springs with spray grease, give it a real good dousing in the stuff, it is more than likely the springs compressing under load that you can hear, with the air bag system, you don’t get the noise

All Daf 6 and 8 wheelers make the same noise Lee :grimacing:

leedrivesatruck:
i noticed that there is a 12 mm bolt on the top of a round part in the middle of the springs - should this have oil or grease in ? help me boys and girls its very annoying cheers lee

The pivot should have oil in sae 80w90 gl4 or 5, or the older ones where, they look the same set up so I guess the same.
Most of the noise is probably from where the spring sits on the axles in the slippers, as shuttle said try some grease here.

leedrivesatruck:
Hi all - i have recently brought a late 2005 daf cf 75 - 360 six wheeled concrete mixer, i have noticed that when i am loaded and go off road that there is a dreaful grounching noise from the suspension, presumably at the rear - has any one else had this - only i spoke to a mate whos got one and he says his does it to and that is normal — really if it is then fine but i cant believe that it is normal- are there any sihns i should be looking at - i noticed that there is a 12 mm bolt on the top of a round part in the middle of the springs - should this have oil or grease in ? help me boys and girls its very annoying cheers lee

I’ve got 2008 Daf cf75 mixer mate and mine does it, don’t worry about it, it’s just rear springs.

Next time your on pump job, ask pump driver can you borrow the diesel spray he uses to spray his pump to stop concrete sticking to it and give your rear springs a good spray with the diesel.

That should do the trick.

thanks very much for your responses - its nice to know i’m not alone

you were right – regularly drop a bit of old engine oil on the rear springs and the front ones and it works right in over a couple of days and it is more or less silent now – thanks guys

the round part your talking about is the trunion ,as said there is a small screw that if you remove you can fill with oil ,also check if there is a grease ■■■■■■ futher in ,DAF used to fit a grease ■■■■■■ , I can’t remember when it was deleted…I have worked on DAFs for 18 years ,never had a driver defect rear suspension on an FAT, FAD chassis so can only guess that the noise is normal …unfortunately it is pretty impossble for a dealer to replicate the noise as or road tests are on the road ,as we don’t generally have a off road route

norb:
the round part your talking about is the trunion ,as said there is a small screw that if you remove you can fill with oil ,also check if there is a grease ■■■■■■ futher in ,DAF used to fit a grease ■■■■■■ , I can’t remember when it was deleted…I have worked on DAFs for 18 years ,never had a driver defect rear suspension on an FAT, FAD chassis so can only guess that the noise is normal …unfortunately it is pretty impossble for a dealer to replicate the noise as or road tests are on the road ,as we don’t generally have a off road route

It’s when the springs get dry and then you go on bumpy ground, that crack, bang and creak. Spray a little diesel on them or even water and it stops the noise.

Mine always bad in the dry summer months but hardly hear it in the winter when its wet and cold.

rock and roll suspension mate.when you cant here it that’s when the problem s start.