No tacho in pickup

one of our drivers was pulled by the police today in a pickup with a long twin wheel trailer ,no load on,checked for a tachograph,not fitted,was told he would be reported to vosa,any ideas what might be the outcome,points,fine,ect,also another question i drive an 8 legger with a tri axle drawbar on roro work plated for 44 tonnes can any class 2 driver be taught on this or is a class 1 needed,thanks for any answers :question:

Whats the Maximum GVW for the pickup and the trailer together?

A Land Rover Discovery, for example, would need a tacho, if towing another one, for commercial purposes.

not sure,its a toyota hi lux, the trailer i think is plated 35000kg.

cat826:
not sure,its a toyota hi lux, the trailer i think is plated 35000kg.

yikes

the 8 legger + trailer -

if you have a class 2 you can drive it, if you have a C+E you can drive it, if you have a class 2 you can take your C+E test in it, if you fail you can still drive it and i’m presuming if you have a class 3 you can train to to take your C+E in it. if you have a C you can train and take your C+E in it.

stevie

If the vehicle is plated at over 3500kg it needs a tachograph, if it pulls a trailer and the train weight is over 3500kg it needs a tachograph (if being used for hire and reward), there are some exemptions but in general he needs a tachograph in the vehicle.

VOSA will normally ask for £200 for their Christmas fund :frowning:

sorry guys got carried away with the zeros,it is 3500kg :smiley:

(if you have a class 2 you can drive it, if you have a C+E you can drive it, if you have a class 2 you can take your C+E test in it, if you fail you can still drive it and i’m presuming if you have a class 3 you can train to to take your C+E in it. if you have a C you can train and take your C+E in it.)

theres no such thing as a class 2 / 3
do we need dCPC yes

stevieboy308:
the 8 legger + trailer -

if you have a class 2 you can drive it, if you have a C+E you can drive it, if you have a class 2 you can take your C+E test in it, if you fail you can still drive it and i’m presuming if you have a class 3 you can train to to take your C+E in it. if you have a C you can train and take your C+E in it.

stevie

If you have cat C you can drive it as an accompanied learner driver as you’d have a provisional CE and therefore then take your test in it. You could only drive it back alone after a test fail if you have C with the 102 restriction (drawbars) which only licences issued before around 1991 might have.

Ok, what I should’ve said is - if you passed a class 1, 2 or 3. As pointed out they no longer exist, however if I was a betting man I’d stake a chunk of my hard earned that they’ll be known as class 1 and 2 for the foreseeable future regardless of the dcpc and pedantic drivers, c+e doesn’t quite roll of the tongue as class 1 does. do you really, really think that c being refered to as class 2 and c+e being refered to as class 1 is part of the reason we need the dcpc?

Since the question was asked in class, I answered in both the old and new style.

Someone that passed a class 2 test can take the c+e test in a wagon and drag, fail and drive it back on there own without l plates.

Stevie