No rev counter/exhaust brake

hi wondering if anyone can help, my rev counter has stopped working (Volvo fh12 460 mk2) which also means my exhaust brake and cruise control has stopped working.

my speedo still works, ive heard its the back of the instrument cluster that’s faulty and was told it would need a whole new cluster, but a new cluster will be expensive as id imagine it would need calibrated with ecu?

can anyone more mechanically minded shed some light?

The rev counter is a common fault on version2 fh/fm though not sure it’s linked to the cruise or engine brake, what year is it?
There is a place nr sheffield alliance electronics ( Google it) that will re furb, the dash cluster which is only a few minutes job to remove, the later v2 dash clusters are different to the earlier v 2 ones

its a 54 plate, I think its the earliest version one, has the ‘fixed’ lift axle mudguard.

not too bothered about the rev or cruise control, the exhauster not working is causing me bother :wink: :laughing:

I have a 52 plate v2 460 this is an early one the engine brake switch is on the dash, this can give trouble, mines had a fault for years, if you switch it of and on again it works fine, have you checked that the clutch and brake pedals return right to the top when you take your feet Off as there are micro switches on both. Other than that the valve that controls the engine brake is on the n/s of the engine under the starter, this is also quite expensive but can give trouble, has one ever been fitted?

I checked both the pedals first of all, and the fuses/relays incase I missed something.

It’s not the one with the engine brake switch, it’s an fh with the stalk control, that has 3 settings and an adjust for the overrun. The stalk is infront of the wiper stalk.

I’m unsure of the history of the lorry, it’s been around the clock more than 1 and a half times though. I’ll look into it further tomorrow, my mind was playing tricks on me tonight and it got to the point I had to ask :slight_smile:

Always worth isolating the battery and booting it up again. Sometimes turning it off and back on again works.

cheers, it has an isolator switch on it, ive knocked that a few times to sort problems :laughing:

still not any further forward, the stalk at the steering wheel, when I move it the setting comes up on the dash in the corner, (+) (1) (2) (3) (A) so it must be working.

its not easy downhill at 44t :angry: :slight_smile:

you may have 2 faults not linked,forget the rev counter,do you have any fault codes in your engine ecu or vehicle ecu.we will go from there.keith ps is it a manual box or auto

Not had a lot to do with Volvo’s but I’d start by checking the wiring to the alternator or wherever the ECU recieves an engine speed signal from as I’d imagine it needs an engine speed signal for exhaust brake operation.

s it an exhaust brake or is it a retarder on the gearbox it could be short of oil i will admit that i know not a lot about VOLVOS

It’s a manual 'box. Can see any funny looking wires from altenator, plus volvo fitted an altenator about 10000kms ago.

Vehicle ecu says VCB compression brake status, electrical fault. 2 faults one says active and one says inactive. There are a couple of other faults that say EPG1 electoral fault, both active and inavctive

stuartrobbie:
It’s a manual 'box. Can see any funny looking wires from altenator, plus volvo fitted an altenator about 10000kms ago.

Vehicle ecu says VCB compression brake status, electrical fault. 2 faults one says active and one says inactive. There are a couple of other faults that say EPG1 electoral fault, both active and inavctive

check fuse 41,also look in the engine fault codes will be mid 128,then a other number then a fmi number need theses to help you,keith

cheers, i checked all the fuses, ill check the fault codes on Monday, away with the family just now. thanks :sunglasses: