no rear markers

Does anyone know why they have done away with your red and amber rear markers boards …or the LONG VEHICLE plates on new build curtainsiders?

must be because of the reflective red tape around the barn doors i’m thinking

i’m a fitter and was just wondering if anyone knew the score, ive noticed the reflective strip down the sides of the the curtains too.

i’m going to pick up a new trailer tomorrow from SDC well 4 actually one a day and these seem to not have any rear markers either only red reflective tape.

I ask the same question and these are the answers i got

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73776

No help at all :frowning: :frowning: :confused: :confused:

If the red tape is on then the marker boards are not required, joe bloggs doesn’t know what they mean anyway.

Probably to stop people fitting plates the wrong way round. Sick of changing them after someone has put em on wrong lol.

cons77:
Does anyone know why they have done away with your red and amber rear markers boards …or the LONG VEHICLE plates on new build curtainsiders?

i’m a fitter and was just wondering if anyone knew the score, ive noticed the reflective strip down the sides of the the curtains too.

i’m going to pick up a new trailer tomorrow from SDC well 4 actually one a day and these seem to not have any rear markers either only red reflective tape.

I’ve noticed this too as I’ve been delivering new trailers for a company recently. Can’t say I thought about it too much. :confused:

i think the EU have changed the rules. reflective tape manufacturers have given them a plain, manilla envelope and now all new build vehicles and trailers have to have the rear outline and the full length of the vehicle marked with the tape. i think all new units will have to have the sides marked soon as well.

sent from my laptop while watching helicopter heroes, and with my tongue in my cheek regarding envelopes…

I also noticed that some trucks have markers which are not yellow, but white…

Rob K:

cons77:

I’ve noticed this too as I’ve been delivering new trailers for a company recently. Can’t say I thought about it too much. :confused:

Just thought seemed a bit strange as all are trailers have had the red reflective tape on for the last 12 years even with the rear markers.

ECE104 is a regulation that establishes guidelines for the use of retro-reflective safety markings on the rear and sides of heavy goods vehicles operating throughout Europe

It requires that homologated retroreflective markings be applied to rigid, curtain and tanker vehicles with a mass over 7.5 tonnes or trailers that have a mass over 3.5 tonnes

The reflective material must carry the “E-mark” which means the tape meets the minimum requirements of the regulation

Markings will be mandatory in the UK from July 2011, and may be full or partial, provided minimum requirements are met

Red or yellow markings must be used for the rear of the vehicle, as close as practicable to the edge of the vehicle

Yellow or white markings may be used for the side of vehicles, covering at least 80 per cent of its length

The reflective markings must be ‘Class RA2’ or ‘microprismatic’ (e.g. 3Mâ„¢ Diamond Gradeâ„¢ DG³ reflective sheeting) in the case of rear markings and ‘high visibility fluorescent or non fluorescent yellow reflective’ in the case of side markings

solutions.3m.co.uk/pv_obj_cache/ … E576F70100

I’ve raged about this before… but what exactly are these new reflectives supposed to be useful for?

…or is it EU bods coming up with crap to justify their own existance…

(full rant suppressed!)

I knew the changes were happening regards the reflective tape on the sides and rear but didn’t know they were aborting the rear marker plates,you live and learn.

so what happens if you have a new tractor unit reg after july 2011 but tow an old trailer :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

wildfire:
so what happens if you have a new tractor unit reg after july 2011 but tow an old trailer :question: :question: :question: :question: :question:

Nothing

manowar:
I’ve raged about this before… but what exactly are these new reflectives supposed to be useful for?

It think it will be quite useful for the continued profits of the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing company. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

manowar:

It think it will be quite useful for the continued profits of the Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing company. :wink:

I only used them as an example and shall be expecting a cheque in the post over the next few days :laughing:

Have you guys that have been pulling new trailers around noticed if they have top marker lights?

Many of the new fleet of trailers P & O Ferrymasters bought in the mid 2000’s don’t have.

cons77:
I knew the changes were happening regards the reflective tape on the sides and rear but didn’t know they were aborting the rear marker plates,you live and learn.

Any one know if this affects new flats and skellies, or do they still need the marker boards?

Another related (sort of) question - will additional markings be required for the longer trailers -1.6 and 15.65 lengths - perhaps two strips of reflective tape around the rear!!

Hiya…the chap who come up with the vehical marker boards was Fred Adams of Adams butter.
he put forward the idea of the reflective stripes… the ministry knocked back the idea and
come up with reflective…dayglow…reflective and so on…(Fred did’nt get a pattent)
In the 60’s Adams butter lorries had there name on the back doors in reflective letters
blue for adams and butter…red for spreading everywhere this stood out really bright in
your headlights in the days of not much street or any motorway lighting…up untill the 70’s rear
lights was’nt up to much on any vehicles apart from the american cars which there seemed to
be plenty about .maybe now that lights are pritty well fool proof the ministry feel the reflective marks
can be eased off a little…older drivers will tell you of the days that if you got one small red glimmer on
the back of a truck you was lucky, brake light’s they was like hens teeth in the early 60’s
I had a mate and he always carried a pushbike rear light in his cab …this was if he had a light problem
he would tie the bike light on his trailer to get home…true… and that was in the late 70’s
John

the reason is it is suposed to give a clearer indication to the size of the vehicle. as hardlys anyone knows what marker boards are for or what they mean. ther is no need for marker boards for test either. also “driveroneuk” alot dont have top markers but will have hocky sticks at rear as they are used for front & rear position lamps ie top markers. “weeto” yes it applys for all new trailers inc flats & skellies. “bretty” why do you change them around? a vehicle cant fail if there fitted back to front, they can only fail if they have wrong ones fitted or they are not there when required or damaged more than 10% of the required reflective area ie the yellow bit as the orange doesnt mean anything. :slight_smile: