No operators licence - punishment?

Got a tug by dvsa. Really nice blokes actually, was shocked at how nice they were. I was overweight but not enough to be fined. 20kg more and I’d be £100 down.

Now here Is the thing. Vehicle got a deferred prohibition for some smaller stuff. But it’s turns out thet don’t have a o licence but have applied for it. Dvsa said they’d be reported for it.

Does anyone know what sort of punishment is likely?

Was shocked dvsa let me drive off if I’m honest: they did assure me that even if pulled again I wouldn’t face punishment just the company. Also stamped and signed a printout cos they took my card out.

Seeing as they were operating a vehicle without an O licence may mean a visit to Mrs Bell…or an explanation, and certainly a fine…one cannot operate a vehicle without an O licence…even if its been applied for, there may be reasons why they are not fit to hold one and it could be denied…this offence will cause some concern though for them…not the driver…( unless it was due for renewal, and they re-applied, and you got the wrong end of the stick ) just saying.

On saying that, i owned a vehicle and the proverbial guinness label in the screen :smiley: i got stopped on the way to catch a ferry…but was arrested anyway…they did conviscate the permits…but let me go on my way, my freight forwarder however was previously high up in the police, and collected the permits and brought them down to Dover. i did however finish the trip till my O licence came through.

sammym:
But it’s turns out thet don’t have a o licence but have applied for it. Dvsa said they’d be reported for it.

Do you mean they have applied for a disc for that vehicle but not got one in the windscreen yet as you the driver don’t need to worry about that.

Really? Overweight? A delayed prohibition ‘for some other stuff’■■ And a missing operator licence? And they let you on your merry way?

:grimacing:

Doubt the company doesn’t have an Operator’s Licence, I would imagine DVSA would impound the vehicle on the spot. Presumably the OP means there wasn’t a disc in the windscreen because the vehicle was newly acquired, or hired etc and DVSA haven’t yet processed the application. Either way, it’s an operator issue which doesn’t affect the driver.

It’s quite normal for me to have to note the expiry date of a trucks O license on the company form as part of my daily checks, if it doesn’t have one on display then I attempt to confirm if it’s a spot hire etc and note the reason for no disc on the form

Blimey Sammy…

You’re a jinx mate.

Every time you go out/arrive at the yard/get somewhere/potter along an A road something happens to you.

Seriously, you should consider another career.

peirre:
It’s quite normal for me to have to note the expiry date of a trucks O license on the company form as part of my daily checks, if it doesn’t have one on display then I attempt to confirm if it’s a spot hire etc and note the reason for no disc on the form

I do the odd shift for a local mail carrier and they’re the same, O licence and trailer MOT expiry dates both have to be written on the daily check sheet.

yourhavingalarf:
Blimey Sammy…

You’re a jinx mate.

Every time you go out/arrive at the yard/get somewhere/potter along an A road something happens to you.

Probably because it’s all bollox. He’s already stated in another post this ‘driving’ is just for a laugh so I’m very inclined to think this is yet another Jackanory story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yourhavingalarf:
Blimey Sammy…

You’re a jinx mate.

He has more adventures than dozy. :open_mouth:
But not as many as Noddy. :smiley:

dcgpx:

yourhavingalarf:
Blimey Sammy…

You’re a jinx mate.

Probably because it’s all bollox. He’s already stated in another post this ‘driving’ is just for a laugh so I’m very inclined to think this is yet another Jackanory story

I’ve said that about him since his first post.
I usually try to give advice and benefit of experience to newbies, …but imo this character is just taking the ■■■■, and/or having a giraffe. :bulb:

Think if the story is true, It be a O/L Disc not in window, or the very nice VOSA would look like a man who just swallowed a full bottle of ■■■■■■ :open_mouth:

Chill out lads. If I was going to have a windup it would be more outlandish than this.

I got my first stop by them. Truth be told I was bricking it. Flashing lights and follow me. So I did. Only about half a mile. They then said they were doing random vehicle checks. Went over the vehicle big time. Hitting it all over with a hammer.Went under it etc… But they were genuinely nice blokes - and after I said I was new explained to me what was going on. I did try and drive over the weight bridge too fast - as I didn’t know you literally needed to go super slow.

In the end a ball joint is what they gave it a deferred prohibition. And also the tacho unit wouldn’t let them download. But apart from that the vehicle was okay generally. Got loads of paperwork to sign etc. But have left that in the vehicle for the operator.

Then they said the company didn’t have an operators licence. My heart dropped thinking I was in the crap. But he said it was up to me and company if I drove on. I asked if I would carry any punishment and he said no. Just that the company could be reported twice for using a vehicle without an o licence.

Which is why I asked what punishment it carried.

Harry Monk:
Doubt the company doesn’t have an Operator’s Licence, I would imagine DVSA would impound the vehicle on the spot. Presumably the OP means there wasn’t a disc in the windscreen because the vehicle was newly acquired, or hired etc and DVSA haven’t yet processed the application. Either way, it’s an operator issue which doesn’t affect the driver.

It is that. They have applied for O licence. But don’t have one yet. But they didn’t impound vehicle. Nor is there comeback to me.

I feel for the bloke who owns the company - he is totally sound and treated me really well. He only started his business a year ago and got the wagon recently. And now he might get a fine. If there were more bosses like him then there would be a lot more happy drivers.

sammym:

Harry Monk:

It is that. They have applied for O licence. But don’t have one yet. But they didn’t impound vehicle. Nor is there comeback to me.

I feel for the bloke who owns the company - he is totally sound and treated me really well. He only started his business a year ago and got the wagon recently. And now he might get a fine. If there were more bosses like him then there would be a lot more happy drivers.

If the operator doesn’t have a o licence vehicle would be impounded. Just be careful you don’t trip up on the bull you spill

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

sammym:

Perhaps he should have a chat with whoever does his six-weekly inspections and ask them why they didn’t spot the worn ball joint?

What a load of bull, its just another windup i wonder who it is this time, there is a few on the go at the moment

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

For an agency bod you seem to be very well informed on the inner workings of this (imaginary) company.
Just started trading, just got the lorry, just applied for O licence.
Overweight, tacho not downloading, dodgy ball joint, no O licence and they let you on your merry way? Not a chance.
You get parked for having a bulb out never mind that list of major issues.