No more Sat nav!

Got a bit peed off a few weeks ago with sat nav taking me long ways round and down crappy roads etc and decided to go back to using maps.Much better.
I must admit I use google maps on the phone for the last look to see where the street is but that’s it.
I think we are all getting a bit lazy

Sat navs can be your best friend or your worst enemy, mine has never streered me wrong because I won’t let it, I use google maps, streetview, a bridge map, and have the route planned before setting off, the sav nat just aids me on route, I wouldn’t trust a sat nav completely, even a posh trucker one :grimacing:

midlifetrucker:
Got a bit peed off a few weeks ago with sat nav taking me long ways round and down crappy roads etc and decided to go back to using maps.Much better.
I must admit I use google maps on the phone for the last look to see where the street is but that’s it.

What sort of sat-nav was you using ?

tachograph:

midlifetrucker:

What sort of sat-nav was you using ?

Not a very good one, judging by his post :blush:

In Europe I had a tom tom truck then a snooper and i must admit they never guided me wrong both were great even had a lot of the vinyards on down in France, over here I use a Rand Mcnally and again never a problem with with just check it against a road map and bobs your uncle

Darb:
Sat navs can be your best friend or your worst enemy, mine has never streered me wrong because I won’t let it, I use google maps, streetview, a bridge map, and have the route planned before setting off, the sav nat just aids me on route, I wouldn’t trust a sat nav completely, even a posh trucker one :mrgreen:

I’m exactly the same , call it old school if you like, but I have never used a prat nav, like you it’s maps, pen and paper maybe, and I.phone map for nearer the destination.
The reason I highlighted part of your comment was to ask
Why do you use one then ?

I use maps to get me long distance, but i switch the satnav on when im in the destination area, to get me too the drop point.

im not even using a truckers one, just a bog standard tomtom… you need to be awake for restricted roads that’s all!

:slight_smile:

B…

I’m the opposite, I use a sat nav to get me to the area and then use google maps to find which street.

Although recently I’ve been using Navfree for the iPhone and I have to say its pretty damned good. Can adjust the settings for different vehicles but you still need to keep an eye out. Not so much of a problem for me in a van but obviously be careful in a truck.

DO NOT use Sat Nav!!! Im an Old Skool Youngster :wink: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :smiley:

I always double check the route the sat nav proposes against a truckers atlas or google maps, simples.

Never forget the bible truckers atlas!!!

Is No More Satnav the same as No More Nails?

how many drivers actually use [zb] nav.
what is wrong with you all.
a majority of drivers on here were driving long before this came along and you all knew where places were and you all knew where you going.
I haven’t and I won’t ever get 1 because I actually get the job done by my knowledge of the country and if I dont then I get the good old paper map out.
and be honest how many of you actually use it to get you back to the yard even though you know where it is.
(I will await the back lash):lol:

lizard:

There’s nothing wrong with making the most of modern technology, I started driving lorries in the 70s when we left home with a box full of maps and a pocket full of change for the phone, today we don’t need to do that because we have electronic maps and mobile phones :smiley:

I accept that not everyone likes or gets on with modern technology, but the fact that some of us choose to use it doesn’t make us wrong :wink:

lizard:
I haven’t and I won’t ever get 1 because I actually get the job done by my knowledge of the country and if I dont then I get the good old paper map out.

I assume you’ve never used a sat-nav, and yet you condemn them :confused:

lizard:
and be honest how many of you actually use it to get you back to the yard even though you know where it is.

Just because someone knows where the yard is doesn’t mean they know the best way back to it without the aid of a map, and a sat-nav is basically an electronic map :wink:

lizard:
(I will await the back lash) :laughing:

You’ll get no criticism or abuse from me, if you choose to do things the old way I salute you, personally I’m happy to move on and use modern technology to make my life easier :smiley:

Have a good day and try not to get a hernia lifting all those paper maps in and out of the cab :grimacing: :wink:

lizard:
a majority of drivers on here were driving long before this came along and you all knew where places were and you all knew where you going.
(I will await the back lash):lol:

yeah i use a tomtom truck sat nav every day
even tho i am normally on same route , same old pick ups and have it on to get back to yard at night
main reason is for the free traffic information that pops up on screen free of charge
it tells me if there has been a bad accident 10 or 20miles futher along my route
and the motorway is shut or there is long delays
you cant rely on the digital motorway signs , it doesnt always come up
so i can then come off at an earlier junction and follow an alternative route
that is either in my brain or i can ask the sat nave to re route me
or let it re route me automatically
peace of mind
let the old stick in the mud /old bollockers/dinosaurs sit in the jams

i used mine for years,just following the arrows,then some times i would pull up and turn it off and it would’nt turn back on and think “thats me screwed,howd i get here” :smiley:

pierrot 14:

Darb:
Sat navs can be your best friend or your worst enemy, mine has never streered me wrong because I won’t let it, I use google maps, streetview, a bridge map, and have the route planned before setting off, the sav nat just aids me on route, I wouldn’t trust a sat nav completely, even a posh trucker one :mrgreen:

I’m exactly the same , call it old school if you like, but I have never used a prat nav, like you it’s maps, pen and paper maybe, and I.phone map for nearer the destination.
The reason I highlighted part of your comment was to ask
Why do you use one then ?

To pin point the final destination, for arrival times if office/customer rings and asks, speed cameras, someone to talk to, also I have it set to come on when giving instructions so a couple of miles before my turn off it lights up to wake me up ( the joys of night driving ) :grimacing:

Sat navs are only a tool. In the hands of a craftsman a hammer can be used to create the Venus di milo but a numpty will create havoc.

My sat-navs always on, but I also have my maps close by. I couldn’t rely completely on any sat-nav…

I must admit I’ve used the Navigation on my mobile phone in the car but never owned a sat-nav for work, although there’s been a few times I could have done with one :confused:

I’ve either planned my routes with a map, looked up on google maps or asked other drivers if it’s somewhere I’ve not been before, but I do intend to buy one at the end of the month :slight_smile: