No more free showers

yourhavingalarf:

Franglais:
If you’ve paid for parking, or spent a fiver in the shop, it’s still free.
Is that so bad?

Because it’s…

The thin end of the wedge. It’s only a matter of time before they start charging for stopping over ten minutes in the lorry park. As usual, the UK haulage industry will play dead ant and just accept it. 4 showers a week equals £12. Multiply that by 45 weeks a year equals £540. Bingo, another weeks work I’ve done for nothing.
Their business won’t fail without charging this. It’s all because Tarquin/Chardonnay has whinged about picking up some plasters or worse out of the shower tray and convinced their ‘team leader’ to do something about it.

I don’t remember being charged in Europe for showers.

All Centre Routiers charged for a shower token, jeton, key, as did all BP Truckstops, Meer. Frechen. Feuctwangen. You cant have a crap in Germany without paying the gatekeeper.

All Centre Routiers charged for a shower token, jeton, key, as did all BP Truckstops, Meer. Frechen. Feuctwangen. You cant have a crap in Germany without paying the gatekeeper. quote wheelnut…

bloody hell mate so right about germany, used michendorf on a regular basis as we was always in and out of messe ■■■■ on a regular basis and the was a woman in her little office and you could not get past her without a few euros in the dish,but them shower rooms were spotless thats why i put up with her nastiness. i think she did’nt like the english much… :unamused: :laughing:

Franglais:
If you’ve paid for parking, or spent a fiver in the shop, it’s still free.
Is that so bad?

I was gonna say the same, and if they are clean (I know that’s not always the case) then I can’t see it’s a problem. [emoji2369]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

If it means that they are clean, I don’t mind paying.

Wheel Nut:
You cant have a crap in Germany without paying the gatekeeper.

And Swiss and Belgium and often France.
Often turnstiles or coin operated door lock if not the guard sitting by the ‘contribution’ plate.It could all get awkward if time was an ‘issue’ and needed the right currency coins when in transit before the Euro arrived.

rambo19:
If it means that they are clean, I don’t mind paying.

A ridiculous statement. Another person who seems to like being bent over ffs.

Have a read of Larf’s post above…it’s very good :bulb: i

edd1974:
Seen this at donnington services
£3 to use a shower

what an absoloute outrage. no idea what it costs to over night there but the local services to me charge 35 quid for a muddy gravel pit of a parking area with no security. even if they charged 10 quid and gave you a shower ala spending 10 pounds on fuel (something that costs them money) its taking the ■■■■. If they realy need to charge to keep the toilets and showers clean a 20 pence turnstyle job is all that is needed like you see (or used to) in train stations. Even then they had taps that didnt stop till you turned them off and soap you could acctualy wash off your hands without leaving them feeling greasy.

Carryfast:
To be fair you have to pay to use the toilets, let alone showers, in many/most Continental MSA’s.

Pay for toilets in French MSA’s, ■■ :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
Who told you that ? :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

And showers are a max of 2 Euros,

And both , you will find, will be spotless.

In Germany , you will pay the concierge/cleaner to use the toilets, again they will be spotless.

pierrot 14:

Carryfast:
To be fair you have to pay to use the toilets, let alone showers, in many/most Continental MSA’s.

In Germany , you will pay the concierge/cleaner to use the toilets, again they will be spotless.

To be fair to CF (not often that will be said on here) but Holland, Belgium and Germany now all have turnstyles on their MSA toilets charging 70cent although you do get it back if you buy something in the shop

So to be clear a private company is charging to use their facilities?

Heavens forbidden they are not giving it away for free, would you allow someone to walk into your business, wash their bits in the sink and then get the mrs to clean up after them for free. Of course you wouldn’t.

Here is a bit of advice if your unable to buy a cup of coffee from the services to get a free shower your not making enough or too tight. See that over night cash you get, it isn’t free cash or a wage supplement. It’s to pay for this type of thing

Nearly there again:

Heavens forbidden they are not giving it away for free, would you allow someone to walk into your business, wash their bits in the sink and then get the mrs to clean up after them for free. Of course you wouldn’t.

Here is a bit of advice if your unable to buy a cup of coffee from the services to get a free shower your not making enough or too tight. See that over night cash you get, it isn’t free cash or a wage supplement. It’s to pay for this type of thing

If you read the comments you’ll see that in general people don’t have a problem paying IF the service being provided is of a decent standard and in most cases in the UK it isn’t

Mazzer2:

pierrot 14:

Carryfast:

To be fair to CF (not often that will be said on here) but Holland, Belgium and Germany now all have turnstyles on their MSA toilets charging 70cent although you do get it back if you buy something in the shop

From memory having to do battle with turnstyles is nothing new and could get frighteningly ‘complicated’ before the Euro single currency.
Also seem to remember France often having coin operated locks on toilet doors even for the privilege of the typical hole in the ground type of primititive French kaze a while ago.

Mazzer2:

Nearly there again:

If you read the comments you’ll see that in general people don’t have a problem paying IF the service being provided is of a decent standard and in most cases in the UK it isn’t

Then don’t use it. If a mechanic didn’t provide the service you paid for would you continue to use them.

The problem here is the services are a private company and are not required to do anything to make the truckers life easier/ better. That’s where dedicated truck stops come into play.

I know I sound like I’m being awkward but at the end of the day you are not being held at gun point to use these facilities. No union or body can make them provide a better service but if you stop lining their pockets you will see a change

2 euros for a shower in a Routier is normal.
Tonight’s resto had a super clean large shower.
Had a lovely clean free shower at XPO Mâcon this morning .

Obviously a private company is not going to let people shower for free and who can blame them, if they give a shower free with a purchase fair play to them.

Nearly there again:

Mazzer2:

Nearly there again:

Then don’t use it. If a mechanic didn’t provide the service you paid for would you continue to use them.

The problem here is the services are a private company and are not required to do anything to make the truckers life easier/ better. That’s where dedicated truck stops come into play.

I know I sound like I’m being awkward but at the end of the day you are not being held at gun point to use these facilities. No union or body can make them provide a better service but if you stop lining their pockets you will see a change

Sometimes there is no option but to use them, To be honest if people stop using them they will just let them fall into further disrepair and then cease to exist. The MSA’s see HGV’s as an unnecessary evil but they are obliged to provide facilities for us and so rightly a fuss should be kicked up when they are crap

Bin Man:

Obviously a private company is not going to let people shower for free, if they give a shower free with a purchase fair play to them.

Fair enough so if they are going to charge it has to be up to standard in other walks of life do you pay for something and are happy that it is sub standard?

Mazzer2:

Bin Man:

Obviously a private company is not going to let people shower for free, if they give a shower free with a purchase fair play to them.

Fair enough so if they are going to charge it has to be up to standard in other walks of life do you pay for something and are happy that it is sub standard?

What is sub standard?

I assume they all differ and there are good and bad ones, would you rather not pay at the sub standard ones and maybe lose the opportunity to shower there altogether, do you complain to management about the state of these sub standard ones that you are paying to use?

Some of you appear to forget that most MSAs HAVE provided free showers for years. :unamused:

That is maybe the problem.with most of us…at the time that crap terms conditions and facilities have been highlighted as being the main reason for creating the present driver shortage, some bright ■■■■ comes up with this scheme. :unamused:

Bin Man:

Mazzer2:

Bin Man:

I am not really in a position to comment being someone who has never used a shower in one of these places.

What is sub standard?

I assume they all differ and there are good and bad ones, would you rather not pay at the sub standard ones and maybe lose the opportunity to shower there altogether, do you complain to management about the state of these sub standard ones that you are paying to use?

Unclean, mouldy faulty shower usually no water pressure and yes I do complain usually to the duty manager the look on their faces when you ask them if they’d use it you’d think you’d just ask them to eat a turd although with some of the showers probably less disease on the average turd.
I stress again if you provide a service then it has to be of an acceptable standard and even more so if the consumer has to pay for it.
The point about dedicated truckstop fair one but they are in the minority of places to stop and some of them lesve a lot to be desired too