No autonomous self driving ;orries for the next 22 years

Here`s why we wont be seeing self driving autonomous trucks .

youtube.com/watch?v=2S0b5wQu7Aw

Back in 1996 Volvo trucks were investing millions in developing a " lorry of the future ". Volvo are not a 2 bit startup company looking for their next round of funding. All the big innovative expensive items showcased have not seen significant take up ( front wheel drive / four wheel steer / gas engine / battery assistance ). Whilst small scale driver aids have been developed and taken on ( cameras / telephone / sat nav ).

Applying the same logic to autonomous trucks we are quite likely to see lane assist / distance control / auto braking developed and maybe even self parking ? over the next 20 years but with only minor advances in drivetrain technology. There may be some tinkering to drivetrain tech = cleaner diesel ? solar and regen battery charging for limited elec drive in city centres etc ?

So Dr Damon … I am SO CONFIDENT THAT I WILL BE DRIVING FOR THE NEXT 20 YEARS I am going to go and invest in a new Hi Viz jacket to keep me on the road :smiley:

See also BACK TO THE FUTURE with hoverboards and flying cars :laughing:

I think the jets sons, terminator, judge dredd etc should have happened by now as well.

If you go to Birmingham Airport, you’ll see that the futuristic ‘monorail’ linking it to Birmingham International Rail Station got converted back to 2-rail format some years ago.

The future turned out to be rubbish, didn’t it?