NMU(1953) Ltd Roll Of Honour

Gentlemen.

I am In the process of writing a book on NMU and I would like to create a roll of honour of the drivers can anybody help please towards this list, There are many many more lets not forget them past and present.

Jock Greig London (Foreman)
Jock Donaqu London Trunk Tanker
Nobby Clark London Shunter
Ted Monteque London (Shop Steward) Shunter
Ken Monteque London Shunter
Ken Tedder London (Manager)
Jim Clark York
Jim Beresford York
Fred Baily London Shunter
Alan Ward London Shunter
Ron Pierce London Shunter (ex Foreman)
“soapy” Young London Trunk
Bob Casey Newcastle
Andy Afflick London Trunk
Bill Afflick London Trunk

Many Thanks.

NMU

Hi NMU, as I said before I used to work for Flowers transport at York and I worked in the contract warehouse for Rowntrees driving the fork lift. I was on first name terms with just about all of their drivers and they were with me, mind you I had to be because I used to make sure as a young cab happy lad that I got to drive their wagons from one end of the site to the other when they came and went ! Sadly a lot of them are no longer with us but from memory York drivers here goes; PS if I think of any more later I will post them for you. Regards Tony H.
Jim Clark
Jim Beresford
Tommy Bramham
John Gower
Alec McKenzie
Harry Harkers
John Atkin
John Hoffman
Len Carter
Harry Rogers
John Shepard
Geordie Bowlam
George Kitchin
Les Lister
Brian Whotmough
Bill Boulton
Bill Hardcastle

Thank you so much, I remember a few of the names now you have said them!! when I was a lad running around the depot In London I can remember also moving the lorries around, In fact I think Its where I learnt to drive, Those were the days. Thanks so much I will add them to the roll.

Thanks NMU

Hi,if you put a search in to NMU Transport you will come up with old british haulage firms,click on to this and you will be on Big Al’s truck stop,scroll down and you will get a good few photo’s of NMU, the first one i will put on thanks to Big Al.

Thanks. I was the person that gave Big Al the pictures for his site my pictures are the old pictures at the bottom of the NMU page, I supplied 13 of the pictures.

Again Thanks

Hi NMU, its me again with some more names of York drivers for you;
Gordon Fisher
Tony Davis (shop steward)
Ted Hanchard
Pat Quinn
Sammy Whincup
Roy Hamilton
John Quinn
Reg Pashby
Ralf Defty
Reg Palister
Arthur Galligher
There are some more blokes that I can only think of by their first names at the minute and others whos faces I can see but as yet can’t name !
I will be in touch again. Regards Tony H.

Thank you Tony, I know the feeling I can see the faces of the guys In London and Norwich but I cant to a name to them yet, There Is one driver from York as a lad I look up to he died In a road accident he was driving a AEC but I cant think of his name all I can remember was he had a chrome head of a knight on the grill of every unit he had.

Again thanks.

John

Hi NMU, got some more for you;
Joe Cooper (York factory internal shunter)
Brian Colley
Paul Guest
Dave Gerrity (later shop steward)
Arthur King
Norman Bell

Yes I do remember that chap who was killed, I think it was on the A1 north of Newcastle and his surname was Clark but I do not know his first name. The reason I remember it is because at the time at Flowers Transport we were told that it was Jim Clark a completely different bloke and he was a particularly good friend of mine and remained so until he died several years back. Hope thats of some help. Regards Tony H.

Thanks Tony.

Yes Your right!! now I remember Clark I still can not think of his first name he crashed Into trees opposite Angel Island? Thanks Tony again I have added a few more London Names Looking for Manchester and Birmingham boys?

Thanks

John