NMU(1953) Ltd or NMU Transport

Hi Guys.

Does anybody remember NMU I am In the process of writing a book dedicated to the drivers of NMU and of the old transport company , I would appreciate any comments or pictures I have many pictures of the fleet If anybody could give me more I would appreciate It, My father was a driver and foreman at NMU London depot and myself I grew up with NMU and also drove for Rowntrees In London and Norwich, I want to keep the days of NMU alive and not forgotten, as so many of the old companies have been forgotten, companies like NMU paved the way for today’s companies and left a proud heritage to follow, drivers like Nobby Clarke Jim Clark Jim Beresford Jock Greig Jock Donaque the Montque brothers to name just a few of the honour roll there are many many more.

Thanks

NMU

york.jpg

jocks tanker.jpg

Hi NMU, I used to work for Flowers Transport at York during the late 60s and early 70s. We did a lot of work for Rowntrees of York and therefore worked alongside the NMU. I knew a lot of the drivers personally and have plenty of pictures of their fleet. I always think it a great shame that such a firm seems to have disappeared without a trace. However about 18 months ago I learnt that NVY585M an “A” series ERF tractor unit fleet number 2023 has been bought for preservation by a chap from Goole in East Yorks. The story is that the vehicle was bought by a commercial vehicle repair garage in York who used it to take trailers for testing and so on. I have driven this motor myself for this company and have done many a mile in it. After the garage was taken over by another company the ERF was left to rot at the back of the yard, it was due to be disposed of to the scrap man when our man from Goole bought it restore. I do not have any more details of the lorry’s fate as of now but I do know a man that does and I will contact him and post the findings on this site for you.
Regards Tony H.

Hi Tony.

I hope you like the photo.

NMU

623e0220.jpg

Hello NMU,Heres a Rowntrees ERF that might be of interest. :smiley:

Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi NMU, that S20 Foden was photographed on its return from the Earles Court motor show where it had been on display (don’t know what year) hence the white steering wheel. The seats were also of a similar colour but were replaced with the normal red ones before the foden went into service. NMU had a lot of six wheeler S20s and some of them were fitted with a container body for shop deliveries ! If you look through the Foden photos you will find several S20 Fodens belonging to NMU, taken before they left the factory at Sandbach.
Regards Tony H.

Bubb.

Thank You It was good to see , I believe Its a old Norwich vehicle which used to belong to BRS as BRS used to be the contractor to Mackintosh prior to the merger with Rowntree’s Then NMU took over and the whole delivery fleet for Rowntree’s Mackintosh got the new livery all the Rowntree’s fleet became repainted, there was a different scheme put together there was one vehicle painted In It and I had the truck for 12 months whilst they look at It. but the colour was not chosen.

Thanks NMU

Guys

Re Mackintosh prior to the merger with Rowntrees the Mackintosh delivery was carried out by ADL and part of that del fleet the ones In Mackintosh livery where taken up by NMU for a time and where later replaced by TK Bedfords In the new Rown/Mack livery.

NMU

One or two here for you.You may already have these but still good to see them
N.M.U Foden.jpg
Rowntree Mackintosh BEDFORD TK.jpg
Rowntree Mackintosh ERF.jpg

John.

Thank you there are good to see again Its nice to know guys do remember NMU .

Thanks.
John NMU

Sorry NMU but I have been asked to remove the photo of the Foden which was being washed down has it does not belong to me although I do own the book it was taken from its one of many books I have purchased from source in the past but I think it could be the last.

NMU:
Hi Guys.

Does anybody remember NMU I am In the process of writing a book dedicated to the drivers of NMU and of the old transport company , I would appreciate any comments or pictures I have many pictures of the fleet If anybody could give me more I would appreciate It, My father was a driver and foreman at NMU London depot and myself I grew up with NMU and also drove for Rowntrees In London and Norwich, I want to keep the days of NMU alive and not forgotten, as so many of the old companies have been forgotten.

Thanks

NMU

Hi NMU.
When did you drive for Rowntrees at Norwich and were you on night trunk? Odd times I got a lift from Kings Lynn to the A1/A57 roundabout at night when thumbing it home to Sheffield when I was in the RAF 1960-62.The trunk was to Halifax I think,an ERF 8-legger.

A more upto date lorry in the livery of Rowntree Distribution, with permission from transportphotos.com/road/photos (Bob Hobbs collection)
JLC00142-1.jpg

Thanks John

Re the picture attached this unit was operated by the late Jim Clarke a very good friend of my father, both Jim and my father Jock operated tankers for NMU between London Shuttlewhorths Chocolate factory and York and onwards to Duncans Chocolate In Scotland with old Fodens. John Its good to see the Old pictures I hope you agree.

NMU

621dffb0.jpg

622df770.jpg

82f19260.jpg

Hello.

I believe this was the last livery of NMU.

John

Guys
Find Attached Old Picture Of NMU Foden Box Van, Thought It May Be Of Interest.

John

We Would Like To Say Thanks To A Major Diecast Company For Making Three Models Of The NMU Fleet Below Are Pictures Of Two Of The Models Both Are Foden Based We Thank You For Keeping The Old Company Alive In Die Cast Form, We Hope These Models Bring Back The Memories Of The Company And Its Drivers And Of Days Past.

Thanks Norman For Keeping Memories Alive Like This.

NMU

In 1965 and 1967, I worked as a transport clerk, at the Birmingham based NMU Transport depot, in Tyburn Road. Next door was Rowntrees distribution depot, which was rmanaged by a foreign chap Mr. Janson. My manager was Mr. Donald Bastin and the senior clerk was John Ray. John used to manage Silvertown depot, in London, occasionally and once I went with him and very much enjoyed the visit. I can remember a few names, at the Birmingham depot, such as foreman John Dunkley, driver Johnny Morrell and mechanic Billy Ensor. I used to beg lifts on the old Foden trucks, overnight, to places like Yorkshire and London, a cheap way of getting around. I can always remember how noisy it was in the cab, with having the engine between you and the driver. Over the road from us was Arthur Turnbull Transport, which was quite a thriving business. They were very happy days and I so miss seeing the various types of trucks coming in and out.