Nine years of roadworks M4 Slough/Heathrow

I was taking to a road work man, who said five bridge demolitions, new smart motorway on a 30 mile stretch, will take 9 years to finish .
He wasn’t joking, look how long the M3 took, years and years.
God help us, if the bird twitchers spot a rare bird that makes it’s breeding trip from Africa, or a rare great spotted newt is seen or don’t forget Brian May from Queen and his love of badgers .
Add on five years for that one.

I thought I read they could only do 5 miles at a time

I am genuinely amazed at the amount of time it takes us to complete roadworks in this country. A little while back there was a sinkhole in Japan. Think it was filled in, road relaid and lines painted within a week. It takes us longer than that to even assess a sinkhole before they then spend 5 weeks working out what to do.

I drove up the M6 this morning and there was about 4 miles of cones out closing two lanes in a three lane section, yet there was not a single worker or vehicle in the whole stretch. I think that the companies carrying out the works take the ■■■■ when it comes to timeframes. Hire enough people to put on three shifts a day and work around the clock u til they are completed. The M60 is another stretch where there are miles upon miles of roadworks, but it is a red letter day if you see anyone working in them. Can’t even see what they are doing or when that debacle is going to be finished.

The highways agency really needs to get a grip on the amount of time roadworks are taking.

Just found this about the M60 roadworks.

roads.highways.gov.uk/projects/m … tion-20-2/

madmackem:
I am genuinely amazed at the amount of time it takes us to complete roadworks in this country. A little while back there was a sinkhole in Japan. Think it was filled in, road relaid and lines painted within a week. It takes us longer than that to even assess a sinkhole before they then spend 5 weeks working out what to do.

I drove up the M6 this morning and there was about 4 miles of cones out closing two lanes in a three lane section, yet there was not a single worker or vehicle in the whole stretch. I think that the companies carrying out the works take the ■■■■ when it comes to timeframes. Hire enough people to put on three shifts a day and work around the clock u til they are completed. The M60 is another stretch where there are miles upon miles of roadworks, but it is a red letter day if you see anyone working in them. Can’t even see what they are doing or when that debacle is going to be finished.

The highways agency really needs to get a grip on the amount of time roadworks are taking.

what do you expect with the M6,worst motorway in this country

dozy:
I thought I read they could only do 5 miles at a time

J19 -J16 on the M6 is a lot further than 5 miles!

madmackem:

Hallelujah, it’s been going on since I were a bairn. New Runcorn Bridge opening same time, I won’t know what to do with that extra hour in my day. :open_mouth:

albion:

madmackem:

Hallelujah, it’s been going on since I were a bairn. New Runcorn Bridge opening same time, I won’t know what to do with that extra hour in my day. :open_mouth:

Try belly dancing?

UKtramp:

albion:

madmackem:

Try belly dancing?

Trust me, there’s no try about it :grimacing: