Nikola Motors...

…Has this been mentioned yet?
https://nikolamotor.com/one

2000 hp? That ■■■■’s over Luke Vernons little 750 putt putt pedal car :laughing:

I’d wager everything I own on that never seeing the light of day. They ‘launched’ it a couple of months ago and the tech sites got a bit of a hard on over it but I can’t see a company coming from nothing and creating that

Battery technology has came on in recent years.That coupled with regenerative braking makes it a great idea in theory.I hope that eletric traction becomes mainstream soon.

Wrong post

There’s about as much chance of this materialising as that Lily drone thing that was all over the internet last year. Ask yourself how they could develop such a radically different vehicle as this when all they are asking for is a $1,500 deposit from potential customers.

Guess the all-up weight including the batteries would be…lets do the math…got it, 43.5 tonnes. :open_mouth: :smiley:

Harry Monk:
There’s about as much chance of this materialising as that Lily drone thing that was all over the internet last year. Ask yourself how they could develop such a radically different vehicle as this when all they are asking for is a $1,500 deposit from potential customers.

Spot. On.

Harry Monk:

If I’ve read it right it’s not an electric truck.It’s a turbine/electric transmission hybrid with obviously too small battery capacity to be designed to just run on electric.

Although it’s an interesting idea in turning the massive rpm’s of a small turbine into massive torque using electric transmission.The lease charges say everything about the cost effectiveness of the idea.IE at $5,000 per month the fuel charge in that is anything but free.Which probably explains why the rail sector hasn’t gone for turbine/electric in a big way.On that note you can’t get more out of an electric motor than the fuel you put in to generate the power.In this case what seems like a 2,000 hp turbine probably running on road fuel taxed diesel. :open_mouth:

alamcculloch:
Battery technology has came on in recent years.That coupled with regenerative braking makes it a great idea in theory.I hope that eletric traction becomes mainstream soon.

I can’t help feeling that if this idea had legs, Volvo/ Scania/ Mercedes Benz etc would be running with it.

I have the “hybrid” technology in my Lexus F Sport and it is some job when running in traffic!!!
2.5L 225bhp PETROL and overall average since I got her is 46mpg and
I don’t arse about with the “loud” pedal!!![emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

alamcculloch:

Personally I think electric power is a stop gap, filling time until something better appears

Harry Monk:

alamcculloch:

I can’t help feeling that if this idea had legs, Volvo/ Scania/ Mercedes Benz etc would be running with it.

Surprisingly enough…

theverge.com/2016/7/28/12308 … ic-daimler

chrisdalott:

Harry Monk:

alamcculloch:

Surprisingly enough…

theverge.com/2016/7/28/12308 … ic-daimler

Don’t Volvo have a electric diesel hybrid? Uses the 150HP diesel motor on the motorway and the electric for running on the streets of London? I remember watching that Stobart show with one on there, guy was trying to find the Royal Albert Hall if I remember right.

switchlogic:

alamcculloch:

Personally I think electric power is a stop gap, filling time until something better appears

If you can sort that, Luke, the least reward will be a Nobel prize!

Seems to me alamculloch has got the right idea. Downhill braking generating energy to be stored in batteries, is surely better than dissipating all that energy as heat. Thats a total waste of energy. That is going to be the future I reckon. Energy is used to haul a truck up a hill, and that energy is currently thrown away as heat on the descent. So having electric motors/generators on wheels is going to be the way forward. Topping up the batteries will be taken care of by either fossil fuel powered engines (Gas turbines a la Nikolai, or petrol, or even diesel) or maybe from fuel cells. Hydrogen and oxygen for fuel cells generated at power stations and vehicles filling up, as at service stations. Battery technology isnt there yet, but has come on by leaps and bounds. Dunno if the business model of Nikolai will be a good one, but the underlying technologies will surely win out in the end.