Nightshots again

Well. What can I say. Obviously getting back from work 3 hours early entitiled me to spend a bit of time taking photos, rather than being a good little Saratoga and going to bed :smiley:

I’ve passed this truck every day on the way to work and figured it was time to get some photos. There was a light behind it, so I ‘had’ to take this position, also bearing in mind this was an industrial estate and even at 3am there was traffic!

I shall start with a close up shot, in the road. Parked the car behind me so as not to be flattened :smiley: I’ve moved the image so the truck is in the bottom, the wheels just clipped. Bit close there, and with more sky showing. It was a clear night but not enough to see the sky more clearly.

500x333, original 3000x2000, 20mm, f/5, ISO100, 30sec.

This is of the first setup, and halfway into the exposure a car drives past :frowning:

500x333, original 3000x2000, 30mm, f/5, ISO100, 30sec.

And finally, this is of cars going the other way through my shot :unamused:

500x333, original 3000x2000, 30mm, f/5.6, ISO100, 30sec.

The last shot I got was without any vehicles passing. So effectively came out “perfect”. But is it??

For a plan for the shot I hoped to take one showing the tilt of the tractor unit as more pronounced, but that doesn’t seem to have come out. I think facing downhill there also another light in the way :frowning: I suppose I could up the f/stop to 9 or summat but then wouldn’t be able to get a 30sec exposure. Which would mean I’d need a lighter image (ie 6am!) and I’m not I can manage that just yet… 6am is crawling with traffic…

The road is sloping down towards me, and the 530bhp Scania 4x2 is noticably lighter over the fifth wheel. I would think that despite the size of the rig it’s probably actually quite light! Anyway, getting too technical… So over to you :wink:

What, oh great ones, do you think :smiley:

Very good photos mate, very technical as well, we have 2 digital cameras here but I prefer to use the old disposable gas cameras as my father calls them! I thought about taking a photography class at the start of the year but I havent got the time.

Kev

Once you’ve got a dslr you can pretty well learn “on the job” :wink:

These were all taken without flash and I could proably do the same sort of shots on a digicam as well, or a P&S :wink:

Practice is what it needs :smiley:

Tried a few times taking moving shots, but they all came back miserable, we dont have msa here so its hard to get a good shot of a good wagon, I cant even get one of my own truck!

Kev

Nice pics. I think the ones where cars have passed through the picture are pretty cool :sunglasses:

I find photography pretty interesting. One day I will get around to learning about it…

Could try down the docks Kev? Maybe down at Norfolkline or somethin

scania king kev:
Tried a few times taking moving shots, but they all came back miserable, we dont have msa here so its hard to get a good shot of a good wagon, I cant even get one of my own truck!

Kev

There are a couple things you can do to get started. If you’re camera has a tripod mount (female screw hole underneath) then go and get a tripod, line the shot up with your eye and then go through the settings for something like, um, ISO100, f 3.5, and for as many seconds as you can. If you can’t get 30 seconds but only 15 seconds then change your camera to ISO200, as it’s twice the sensitivity. The f number, although stated as “going higher” is actually a smaller number, so f/2.8 is higher than f/3.5

Don’t use the flash and if your camera has the setting use the timer to trigger the piccy so you don’t get camera shake. If you’re using autofocus you’ll want a torch to shine on your target to get the autofocus to lock. Which is what I do :smiley: I have a Surefire 6p to help me with that, but most torches will do. Setting it in manual mode means you wont stuff up the exposure and all. Took me a while to work out where I was going wrong there :blush: :blush:

But once you get into it :smiley: I’m sure you’ll love it. It’s an interesting passtime :sunglasses: