Nightshift 5 on 3 off rota

How many weekends a month would you expect to work if you where on this?

Kermit1888:

. I worked it out and averaged it on six months from Feb this year.

You will work 13 out of 26 full weekends and 8 Saturday’s OR Sunday’s…this may change very slightly over the years as some months you do a lot less weekends and others a lot more depending on when your first day is.
IT IS CRAP . DO NOT BE CONNED Into “you get a lot of time off” ■■■■.

Kermit1888:

5/3 works out as an 8 week cycle presuming your rota starts on a Monday you will off the 1st w/e then work 1st Saturday on week 2 then 4 Sat/Sun together 1 Sunday and then the following week it starts all over again.
Book 5 days holiday get 11 days off

lolipop:

Kermit1888:

5/3 works out as an 8 week cycle presuming your rota starts on a Monday you will off the 1st w/e then work 1st Saturday on week 2 then 4 Sat/Sun together 1 Sunday and then the following week it starts all over again.
Book 5 days holiday get 11 days off

Your right on the holidays , but the rest stinks !
I did 3 years on this pattern (days) and I missed having every Sunday off

Depends what the pay and hours are.

Find a year planner and do a colour chart of the year ahead in that 5 on 3 off pattern so you can see it clearly, count how many weekends and bank hols you’ll work, then work the money and hours out, by the time you’ve done that you’ll have an idea if its for you.

Instead of working 232 days a year for the headline annual salary you’ll work 200 days.

I did once 4 On/ 3 Off on each 12 Hour
Days Off were counted Time and a half when worked which got me up to £941.- once. (We also got each Week £50.- Bonus and 3 days off when it was quiet lets you do much more.

Conor:
Instead of working 232 days a year for the headline annual salary you’ll work 200 days.

203 actually done that pattern for 7 yrs, certainly no good if you want a lot of weekends off but it worked for me.

Did 5/3 for three years, loved the three days off in a row, and the 11 days of for 5 makes a difference, even though it is only 2 days more than an ordinary rota. If you don’t need to be off every weekend, it’s great. I would consider coming off tramping for 5/3.

I work 4 on 4 off, but always do the 5th shift as overtime, so I work 5 on 3 off too, you could say. In every 7 weeks I get 3 weekends off.

Every 7 weeks you’ll get 3 weekends off (they’re long weekends) that follow this pattern:

Thur, Fri, Sat
Fri, Sat, Sun
Sat, Sun, Mon

For the following 4 weeks you’ll be working weekends I’m afraid, and your days off will follow this pattern

Sun, Mon, Tue
Mon, Tue, Wed
Tue, Wed, Thur
Wed, Thur, Fri

Then your weekends roll round again.

Isn’t 4 on 4 off a much better rota all round? Why don’t hauliers use that instead?

rob22888:
Isn’t 4 on 4 off a much better rota all round? Why don’t hauliers use that instead?

Cos they need too many drivers to cover it.

bald bloke:

rob22888:

:question:

If you’re running a 7 day a week operation you’re already running two drivers a truck.

Conor:

bald bloke:

rob22888:

:question:

If you’re running a 7 day a week operation you’re already running two drivers a truck.

I once asked the question to Culina’s CEO Thomas Van Mourik at a Q and A session and he reckoned they looked into it and it would require too many drivers, i said but you could do 3 x 15 and 1 x 13 in those 4 days but he wasn’t having it.

Juddian:
Find a year planner and do a colour chart of the year ahead in that 5 on 3 off pattern so you can see it clearly, count how many weekends and bank hols you’ll work.

Why not download a shift planning app such as myshiftplanner & input the 5/3 shift pattern?

rob22888:

it boils down to the £££££££££££s :grimacing: the bosses won’t pay premium, then the drivers get greedy by doing six shifts, because the tacho laws allow :sunglasses: vicious circle = canny with teeth I’m afraid :unamused: 4 on 4 off would be great :open_mouth: but ask Barrie tozer = no unity in transport I am afraid. :sunglasses:

They are taking on drivers at culina market Drayton on the 4 on / 4 off day shift probably they have more drivers there.