Nights

How many shifts can I do on nights and how many hours? I know there’s the opt out and all different bits and bobs but just to settle a…debate

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

6 Nights. 60h Working time directive maybe more if you manipulate breaks and POA IF you opt out the rules that is. If you don’t I think it’s a 10h shift but not sure because I opted out and I’ve hit 75+ plus on nights a few times. It’s the driving time of 90h over two weeks you need to watch.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I still dont understand as its supposed to be 48 hours wtd over a 17 week period I keep reading. Also i thought you can only use poa whem you know how long you have to wait in advanced.

Drivers WTD is not enforced by authorities and only some companies are strict on it

It is the responsibility of the COMPANIES to keep track of WTD - NOT THE DRIVER

EU regs are the same for nights as they are for days

So what youre saying is if I go over my wtd its the company that get in trouble and not me as long as I meet the required rest time etc?

robbeh:
So what youre saying is if I go over my wtd its the company that get in trouble and not me as long as I meet the required rest time etc?

No your company will write infrigments to you about going over WTD regs. etc.

BUT the official authorities won’t enforce WTD.

You will have to sign the infrigment and done. It’s only to cover their a… and their qm system blabla… :wink:

JaxDemon:
6 Nights. 60h Working time directive maybe more if you manipulate breaks and POA IF you opt out the rules that is. If you don’t I think it’s a 10h shift but not sure because I opted out and I’ve hit 75+ plus on nights a few times. It’s the driving time of 90h over two weeks you need to watch.

Yeah, that’s what I thought it was. OP has an issue with doing 6 shifts as it runs into 7 days.

robbeh:
I still dont understand as its supposed to be 48 hours wtd over a 17 week period I keep reading. Also i thought you can only use poa whem you know how long you have to wait in advanced.

What happens is if youve been doing over 48h over 17 weeks your company will have to give you time off.

Poa/break is their for you to use. Yes you are correct that in using poa means they have to tell you in advance how long you’ll be but the reality is it never happens. Use Break/Poa to your advantage to either get extra hours in or not.

EddieMD:
OP has an issue with doing 6 shifts as it runs into 7 days.

Regs do not mention the word days for a reason - they are all done in hours
Forget the word DAYS and the regs become easier to understand

ROG:

EddieMD:

Good point, so 6 shifts can be done as long as rest required is taken…

EddieMD:

ROG:

EddieMD:

Basically you need to start your weekly rest no later than 144 hrs after starting your working week. In that time you can do as many shifts as you like as long as you stick to the regs obviously.
Rog likes to tell newbies not to worry about the wtd but I would try not to get into a habit of ignoring it because if you were to be involved in a serious rta the authorities would go through your hours with a fine tooth combe.

bald bloke:

EddieMD:

ROG:

EddieMD:

Basically you need to start your weekly rest no later than 144 hrs after starting your working week. In that time you can do as many shifts as you like as long as you stick to the regs obviously.
Rog likes to tell newbies not to worry about the wtd but I would try not to get into a habit of ignoring it because if you were to be involved in a serious rta the authorities would go through your hours with a fine tooth combe.

It was the 6 shifts in the week that got me thinking as it rolled into 7 days, I already do 5 nights that rolls I to 6 days and was pretty sure I could if needed do another but OP got me thinking…I like to think I know my hours and regs pretty well after 15 years but just goes to show…there’s always a question pops up that you don’t know…

ALWAYS take out the word DAYS when asking Qs about regs - that way a lot of confusion gets sorted before the question is asked

JaxDemon:
What happens is if youve been doing over 48h over 17 weeks your company will have to give you time off

No they don’t . Remember that thing called POA they’ll have you in sitting in the canteen for 8 hrs
Believe me some firms will do that .

nick2008:

JaxDemon:
What happens is if youve been doing over 48h over 17 weeks your company will have to give you time off

No they don’t . Remember that thing called POA they’ll have you in sitting in the canteen for 8 hrs

Good luck to any company who tries that lol

JaxDemon:

nick2008:

JaxDemon:

Would that still not be duty time? would need to do a manual entry for that and even doing that would require working time…

EddieMD:

JaxDemon:

nick2008:

JaxDemon:

Would that still not be duty time? would need to do a manual entry for that and even doing that would require working time…

If they owe you hours they have to give you time off…they can’t have you sitting in canteen for it.

JaxDemon:

EddieMD:

JaxDemon:

nick2008:

JaxDemon:

If they owe you hours they have to give you time off…they can’t have you sitting in canteen for it.

Kinda what I thought…