Nights out

Im going to be starting nights out and wanted to know what sort of gear can I run overnight without flattening the battery?

Night heater and a thermostatically controlled fridge (i.e. not a cheapo one that runs constantly) is all you’d need running all night, and that’s all I’d trust anyway.

If the batteries are in good condition, you should have no problem running a TV, DVD, interior lights, manufacturer-fitted fridge etc for the evening but if you want to be absolutely sure then just run the engine for 20 minutes before you turn in for the night.

Harry Monk:
but if you want to be absolutely sure then just run the engine for 20 minutes before you turn in for the night.

And annoy the bejezus out of any other drivers parked near you who have already got their heads down!

Harry Monk:
but if you want to be absolutely sure then just run the engine for 20 minutes before you turn in for the night.

And don’t even think of doing it if you’ve been for a few bevvies!!

Born Idle:

Harry Monk:

And annoy the bejezus out of any other drivers parked near you who have already got their heads down!

I very rarely park anywhere near other trucks.

dcgpx:
And don’t even think of doing it if you’ve been for a few bevvies!!

It’s not illegal to run the engine if you’ve been drinking, even if you are over the limit, if you can reasonably demonstrate that you have no intention of driving, for example because you are parked right outside the factory you are delivering to in the morning and have paperwork to support this.

In winter I’ve used the microwave for ten minutes, interior lights for 3-4 hours and then the night heater on and off (thermostat control) all night with no adverse effect on the ability to start in the morning.

trucken:
In winter I’ve used the microwave for ten minutes, interior lights for 3-4 hours and then the night heater on and off (thermostat control) all night with no adverse effect on the ability to start in the morning.

As it should be. If your truck can’t handle this then it’s time for a battery check I think.

Born Idle:

I wouldn’t be annoyed by that. I’d be rather ■■■■■■ off if the driver of the truck next to me woke me up at 4am because his batteries are dead and maybe I can wake up 3 hours early and give him a jump because he’s going to be late somewhere otherwise. etc etc.

one would think there are other possible jobs available for a person who can’t handle a truck idling next to his, I myself have been known to sleep through trucks hooking up trailers next to me on both sides and a fridge on defrost cycle is akin to a lullaby to me :grimacing:

Born Idle:

Harry Monk:

If you can’t sleep through the sound of a truck on idle your in the wrong job.

bazstan009:

What a bizarre thing to say.
So what is the volume/db level that we are expected to sleep through? I don’t remember seeing anything when taking my various driving tests about the ability to sleep when certain volumes of noise are close by. Is there a volume level that has the line drawn underneath it and we’re allowed to be woken up once that level is attained? A cement mixer maybe? How about a car full of boy racers revving engines? A helicopter landing is quite loud, if it wakes up a sleeping truck driver is he allowed to be woken up or should he hang his head in shame and look for a new career?

If a gnat ■■■■■ I wake up. I rarely park near others for this reason. :wink:

Born Idle:

Harry Monk:

i don’t think i’ve ever been woke up by trucks either side of me setting off in the morning, or parking up next to me at night.

It’s not illegal to run the engine if you’ve been drinking, even if you are over the limit, if you can reasonably demonstrate that you have no intention of driving, for example because you are parked right outside the factory you are delivering to in the morning and have paperwork to support this.

Absolutely wrong mate.

you,ll find that if you have had a few and are tested by the police and you have deemed to leave the keys in the ignition you are heading for a world of pain and unemployment unless your employer has a vacancy in the sanatisation cleansing department.

You, as the driver of the vehicle, are classed as being in charge of the vehicle if the keys are in the ignition, let alone starting the engine up !!

milodon:

Born Idle:

I wouldn’t be annoyed by that. I’d be rather ■■■■■■ off if the driver of the truck next to me woke me up at 4am because his batteries are dead and maybe I can wake up 3 hours early and give him a jump because he’s going to be late somewhere otherwise. etc etc.

one would think there are other possible jobs available for a person who can’t handle a truck idling next to his, I myself have been known to sleep through trucks hooking up trailers next to me on both sides and a fridge on defrost cycle is akin to a lullaby to me :grimacing:

I’m on reefers and can now sleep through anything

Born Idle:

bazstan009:

So what is the volume/db level that we are expected to sleep through? I don’t remember seeing anything when taking my various driving tests about the ability to sleep when certain volumes of noise are close by. Is there a volume level that has the line drawn underneath it and we’re allowed to be woken up once that level is attained? A cement mixer maybe? How about a car full of boy racers revving engines? A helicopter landing is quite loud, if it wakes up a sleeping truck driver is he allowed to be woken up or should he hang his head in shame and look for a new career?

Not that bizarre mate, park in msa and stuff comes and goes @ different time through out the night oh and the odd trailer swap.
So the the sound of truck on idle is no big deal except to those that make it an issue and I have come across one or two of them, you know the one’s that think it should go silent soon as they turn their cab light out. :slight_smile:

bazstan009:

Born Idle:

bazstan009:

Not that bizarre mate, park in msa and stuff comes and goes @ different time through out the night oh and the odd trailer swap.
So the the sound of truck on idle is no big deal except to those that make it an issue and I have come across one or two of them, you know the one’s that think it should go silent soon as they turn their cab light out. :slight_smile:

Who mentioned MSA? There are plenty of other places to park overnight apart from the rip-off motorway. Where else does your criteria apply? In a quiet lorry park a truck idling for twenty minutes is totally inconsiderate and selfish to anybody who is woken up by it. Are you one of the “Pee where I like” brigade"? Because they are utterly selfish and don’t give a flying fig about other drivers or the environment either!

It is to my mind, totally bizarre to suggest that because somebody can be woken up by an unnecessary noise then they are in the wrong job.

There used to be an overnight lorry park in Thame, in the town centre. It was free, and with no time limits and was within 5 mins walk of pubs, shops etc but after many attempts by the local council to restrict drivers from sitting with engines running late at night or early morning they eventually banned all overnight parking because drivers ignored the notices. It’s your attitude (and all the others like you) that is causing these type of places to ban lorry parking altogether!

Just to clarify…in Thame they posted Council notices on the lorry park asking drivers not to sit with engines running for more than a few minutes, or any longer than was necessary, unfortunately these notices were obviously ignored.

NewLad:

milodon:

Born Idle:

I’m on reefers and can now sleep through anything

I used to do reefer work never had a problem with them and they never woke me up, until, I had one that the pre-start buzzer had broken, it woke me up every time, presumably my brain had subconsciously registered to ignore the motor starting if it heard the beep!

Born Idle:

bazstan009:

Born Idle:

bazstan009:

Who mentioned MSA? There are plenty of other places to park overnight apart from the rip-off motorway. Where else does your criteria apply? In a quiet lorry park a truck idling for twenty minutes is totally inconsiderate and selfish to anybody who is woken up by it. Are you one of the “Pee where I like” brigade"? Because they are utterly selfish and don’t give a flying fig about other drivers or the environment either!

It is to my mind, totally bizarre to suggest that because somebody can be woken up by an unnecessary noise then they are in the wrong job.

There used to be an overnight lorry park in Thame, in the town centre. It was free, and with no time limits and was within 5 mins walk of pubs, shops etc but after many attempts by the local council to restrict drivers from sitting with engines running late at night or early morning they eventually banned all overnight parking because drivers ignored the notices. It’s your attitude (and all the others like you) that is causing these type of places to ban lorry parking altogether!

Cheap shot trying to stick other labels on "pee anywhere " but life is short mate so if you are woken by me on idle give us a knock. :slight_smile: