Night working hours help please

Hi, I’ve opted out of the 10 hours night work rule and I believe I can now do 12 hours. Can I still take a reduced 9 hour daily rest or does it have to be 12 hours?

When you opt out of the 10 hour rule, you can work upto 15 Hours and can take a reduced 9 hour brake.
Note that the 10 Hour rule does not include breaks and POA so you could have spend far longer at work even without opting out.

Thanks. That’s what I thought, but the manager said I could only extend to 12 hours which hardly seemed worth it.

Ched:
Thanks. That’s what I thought, but the manager said I could only extend to 12 hours which hardly seemed worth it.

Could 12 hours be the collective or workforce agreement limit under the opting-out procedure?

Thats what i thought, that you couldnt do it as an individual, but it had to be collective., Anyway, why would you want to work 12 hrs instead of 10, unless its for the extra 2hrs pay…

I think that we operate a 12 hour work time limit if we start between midnight and 4 AM. If the max (by collective agreement) is 12 hours, then what I want to know is … If I work 12 hours, can I still take a reduced 9 hour rest or does it have to be 12 hours rest?

Ched:
If I work 12 hours, can I still take a reduced 9 hour rest or does it have to be 12 hours rest?

As long as you have a reduced daily rest available you can take one after any length of shift, day or night.

I’m guessing that isn’t what you wanted to hear though…

Paul