Night Trunking - Any Good?

I’ve worked for TNT now for 12 years on days… I’ve been offered night trunkin’ job, just wondered if I could get a few opinions on whether it’s any good:

Depart Accrington 1945 HRS
Arrive Leicester 2245 HRS

LUNCH BREAK

Depart Leicester
Arrive Rotherham
Changeover
Arrive Accrington

No hold ups or delays, all straightforward.

5 nights a week?!

Thing is, will I get bored doing the same old routine. Worked there as I say for 12 years and in that time no night trunkers have left!!!

Clock off time is around 3…30am so pretty much FLAT CAP, no overtime!!

Take home £375ish

What do you guys think?

Couldnt be any easier, quieter roads easy money.

Isn’t that a bit of a low rate for Night trunking?
But if its better than what you are on now, go for it! easiest money you’ll ever earn.

Alex

you can earn that money and more on days with a bit of overtime altough it depends on what your lifestyle is and how it suits you. would be a easy job on comparison though?
all the best

its steady away, sure the cash is a little low, but remember all your gonna do is run from local depots to PDC`s put trailer on bay, go into canteen (and that one at atherstone is crackin on a night) drive back ect ect, as you say its the same job day in day out. i work nights for ceva and we do the odd TNT trunk and its so easy its untrue, as you say none of the night trunkers have left so far so that must tell you something :wink:

why not see if the boss will let you do a week or so at it to see if you like it, remember TNT neer on bend over backwards for there drivers so it might be worth asking, worse he can say is no, all in all id see if the cash can be a bit more or if you could do a bit of overtime here and there (remember trailers dont park there selfs up or move each other off bays :wink: :wink: :wink: )

what about your trunk bonus that all tnt night trunkers get milage related
can vary between 40quid to a 100 :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Night trunking is easy money, you get to know the people at the depots, and it’s very relaxed. If you’re a night time person, and don’t mind doing the same thing every night, go for it.
If you like variety, and don’t like driving at night, then stay clear. Simple really. Some people are cut out for trunking, some aren’t.

Wouldnt be so sure about no delays, spent many a night sat stationary on the M6 at 1am because there is roadworks.

Roads look so quiet, then start to see warning signs of congestion ahead, think yeah right sign must be broke. The suddenly everything stops.

Night trunking is ok but you have to get into the mindset of it, its a laid back easy job but can be really boring.

Problem is lack of overtime in a lot of cases and basically just an 8 hour shift. Some guys find doing dayshift is more profitable because you can get overtime if you want out of it.

Suppose kinda lucky the trunks i do are mostly running to 4hrs+ each way, and usually some sleeping time when i get to the place so usually manage to get at least 10hours. Just back from a trunk to Warrington from Glasgow 12 hour shift.

Ido 8 hours a night.
mostly shunting and 1 or 2 trailers to worcester.

Iknow when i start and when i finish.
My take home is roughly £70-£90 worse than my old job,but my quality of life is 10 times better.

Tonyb

If you dont mind losing your social life which you will
If you can be sure of getting enough rest ie get up just before your shift starts
can handle driving in the dark (dont laugh some cant )be ready to take a diversion as a lot of road works spring up at night when theres no advanced warning
GO FOR IT

If you like talk shows on the radio go for it, you will soon be rabbiting away with your imaginery friends like most other Night Trunkers!! :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Would not change back to days, nights much easier, less traffic, less hassle :smiley:

I’ve been doing nights for 14+ yrs now did a stint on days for a yr but cant do days killed the marrage but hel nights less hassel just give Jan long a miss on radio 2 a miss
Er um ah um er ah that drives me nuts or am i the only one

Kenny1975:
Wouldnt be so sure about no delays, spent many a night sat stationary on the M6 at 1am because there is roadworks.

Thats very true but it tends to move a lot quicker on nights than days, even accidents seem to be cleared quicker at night than days as theres less traffic.

Its amazing how much people filter and let each other in on nights too.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … highlight=

does that not answer your question?

TNT Trucker:
Arrive Leicester 2245 HRS

Leycroft Road - near Walkers Crisps :question: :question:

If yes, please be quiet as I live near there and will be in the land of nod at 2245 :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

EDIT - My neighbour drives nights Sun to Thu for Walkers and he never seems to be fully awake whatever time I see him. He has been doing it for 3 years and he ‘copes’ with it but I think that I would be in a semi zombie state as well if I tried to go back to nights - my bodyclock wouldn’t cope these days.

If you have never worked nights before then, if you get the opportunity, take a weeks holls and try switching your sleeping routine to see if you can cope with it.
I know this year has not been too bad but try sleeping on a hot summers day with the usual noises that you may encounter :exclamation:

I remember that I had to cancel my night shift a couple of times due to lack of sleep - mainly due to workmen using a pneumatic drill to repair the roads.

nick2008:
If you dont mind losing your social life which you will
If you can be sure of getting enough rest ie get up just before your shift starts
can handle driving in the dark (dont laugh some cant )be ready to take a diversion as a lot of road works spring up at night when theres no advanced warning
GO FOR IT

Sad to say, I can’t. I find it impossible to do a long stint up the m6 at night without falling asleep. Every time I have to do it I almost always have to pull off then back on and stop on the slip road or somewhere. Night driving is not easy in my opinion

nick2008:
I’ve been doing nights for 14+ yrs now did a stint on days for a yr but cant do days killed the marrage but hel nights less hassel just give Jan long a miss on radio 2 a miss
Er um ah um er ah that drives me nuts or am i the only one

Hell no! :smiling_imp: I don’t get to hear much of her now as that’s close to my bedtime but if I’m on a late one as soon as it gets to her time I switch over. Liz Kershaw stood in for her once or twice, far superior IMHO.

Well it doesn’t sound bad,not long hours. The eternal problem when working nights is getting your sleep. What are the neighbours like? Have they got dogs or kids? Will they be out cutting the grass when you’re trying to drop off? You might make an appointment for a tradesman to call round in the afternoon after you’ve had your kip. I guarantee he will rattle your letterbox at 0900 with the immortal words " I was in the area thought I’d give you a knock". Then watch his face as you tell him to ■■■■ off! and come back at the right time! I used to do nights. Driving when you just want to go to sleep is not my idea of fun anymore. I decided to give up before I went on a chainsaw massacre!

tartanraider:
Will they be out cutting the grass when you’re trying to drop off?

I’ve been working afters/ nights on and off all year and I’ve slowly got used to it - but the neighbours haven’t. There again the old git behind me doesn’t mow his lawn every other day at 1000 now as he’s still trying to get the lawnmower out from up his rear end.

Some guys I’ve spoken to say it’s the last shift of the week which is the killer but I find it’s the first. After getting up in the morning on the first day it can be 24 hours before your back in bed again, after that the body clock switches over to day time kipping.

One other point is that the attitude of all on nights is completely different, much easier going, no arguments over loading/ tipping (we’re just having a pot of tea drive - do you want one?) and everything seems to work so much easier.

Stan