Night Trunkers and the road closures advice?

I did a Birmingham Palletline drop last Thursday night and was glad to get a few miles as I usually do local. The A1 was closed and we were pushed onto roads around Doncaster and took ages. The M42 was closed and again holdups and then on the way back the A42 was closed and that was a nightmare. I ended up going south on the A444 to pickup the M69 to get on the M1 north!

I presently use a normal tom tom in conjuction with my Samsung S3 when I need to look at what is around me but I have now ordered a Philips Truckers Atlas. So next time roads are closed I shall plan an alternative route. Is this what you do or is there a better modern way? :sunglasses:

alder:
I did a Birmingham Palletline drop last Thursday night and was glad to get a few miles as I usually do local. The A1 was closed and we were pushed onto roads around Doncaster and took ages. The M42 was closed and again holdups and then on the way back the A42 was closed and that was a nightmare. I ended up going south on the A444 to pickup the M69 to get on the M1 north!

I presently use a normal tom tom in conjuction with my Samsung S3 when I need to look at what is around me but I have now ordered a Philips Truckers Atlas. So next time roads are closed I shall plan an alternative route. Is this what you do or is there a better modern way? :sunglasses:

Be careful with that Atlas, there’s lots of restrictions missing from it. For instance, check the A685 from Tebay services to the A66. The 14’6 height restriction is on there so you’d think you were OK in a single decker. Wrong, there’s an 18t weight restriction with no mention of it on that map.

Stevenage to Leighton Buzzard. Sat Nav (in car mode) and Google maps say the quickest way is through Hitchin then Harlington but Harlington is weight restricted to 7.5t. No mention of it on my Philips Navigator.

Huddersfield to Barsnley. Again, Sat Nav (in car mode) and Google maps agree the A637 is the quickest route but there’s a 7.5t weight restriction at Flockton.

I could go on. And I’ve only been using it for 6 months. I don’t even bother taking it any more. My TomTom 5150 in truck mode avoids all of the above.

Had the same, the diversion into Doncaster made me have a second break (I got £15 for that :wink: )

Bit miffed theres no early information about closures, I check the HA & AA websites.

I have a bookmark to www.transportdirect.info on my S3 which does warn you in good time but I was lazy to be honest and thought there would be nothing on the road that time of night I will just go around the diversion. Then found most of Europe was there waiting for me :unamused:

I hear what you are saying Terry T. I have ordered it now and only £11 on amazon. I have always come across mistakes on maps in the past which you have to work around but with a tom tom, S3 and a map I shouldn’t go far wrong and I want to get out of the habit of just following the tom tom and not knowing where you are and what direction you are heading. :confused:

For me the lack of advanced warning is the most annoying. No signage or matrix signs until its too late for you to plan another route is my biggest bugbear. I’m sure the a38 is a council training area for dig up crews, they must live there full time.

Slackbladder:
For me the lack of advanced warning is the most annoying. No signage or matrix signs until its too late for you to plan another route is my biggest bugbear. I’m sure the a38 is a council training area for dig up crews, they must live there full time.

I have heard this a lot from drivers around the Stourton area who seem to use that road regularly.

alder:
I hear what you are saying Terry T. I have ordered it now and only £11 on amazon. I have always come across mistakes on maps in the past which you have to work around but with a tom tom, S3 and a map I shouldn’t go far wrong and I want to get out of the habit of just following the tom tom and not knowing where you are and what direction you are heading. :confused:

I always check routes with my phone. I like to know the general direction I’m going in too and alternate routes should problems arise. TomTom and Google Maps does me fine. Carrying that map was too much like hard work :grimacing:

Rooster:
Had the same, the diversion into Doncaster made me have a second break (I got £15 for that :wink: )

Bit miffed theres no early information about closures, I check the HA & AA websites.

I’d ring the police to complain if there was no forewarning of a road closure!!

Terry T:

alder:

I always check routes with my phone. I like to know the general direction I’m going in too and alternate routes should problems arise. TomTom and Google Maps does me fine. Carrying that map was too much like hard work :grimacing:

You are right mate, only cost £11 but wish I had not bothered, lots of missing information checking on roads I already know have limits and bridges. It is worse having a map book that gives you false information :cry:

Once you’ve been doing a trunk run like that long enough you learn the best ways to go when certain bits of it are shut. If you work nights take note of all the roadworks signs you see giving you advanced notice of road closures and the like. Makes life a lot easier if a key part is going to be closed on Tuesday and you plan an alternative route before you set off and go that way rathe than get to the roadworks and end up in the resulting crawl through the diversion along with everyone else.

alder:
So next time roads are closed I shall plan an alternative route.

Is this what you do or is there a better modern way?

Because we often get advance warning of road closures, particularly on motorways, I have asked TomTom to add a "ROAD AHEAD CLOSED BUTTON - PLEASE FIND ME AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE BEFORE THE SELECTED DISTANCE AHEAD 0KM - 5KM - 10KM - >15KM.

Just for you Alder.

Dieseldoforme:

alder:

Because we often get advance warning of road closures, particularly on motorways, I have asked TomTom to add a "ROAD AHEAD CLOSED BUTTON - PLEASE FIND ME AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE BEFORE THE SELECTED DISTANCE AHEAD 0KM - 5KM - 10KM - >15KM.

Just for you Alder.

Arrr thanks mate that is very decent of you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Will it be on my tom tom for next week?

Conor:
Once you’ve been doing a trunk run like that long enough you learn the best ways to go when certain bits of it are shut. If you work nights take note of all the roadworks signs you see giving you advanced notice of road closures and the like. Makes life a lot easier if a key part is going to be closed on Tuesday and you plan an alternative route before you set off and go that way rathe than get to the roadworks and end up in the resulting crawl through the diversion along with everyone else.

^^This!! I have reached the point where I can do almost the entire journey from depot to the hub using any of 3 completely different routes all as a result of road closures.

One of the problems I’ve always found is that when an unexpected closure happens there is no chance to stop to consult the map (and with a double decker you need to really check heights too) and it is almost impossible to read a map whilst driving - particularly when everyone else is lost as well!

Alder - which depot are you? I’m 033 - bay 15, but usually have a stand trailer.

Hi gardun, I am driving for Potters pickup around the Selby/York area and down to palletline hub Birmingham Int. I was down there again last Tuesday 1am.

alder:

Terry T:

alder:

You are right mate, only cost £11 but wish I had not bothered, lots of missing information checking on roads I already know have limits and bridges. It is worse having a map book that gives you false information :cry:

They’re all the same. My dad has the AA truckers map and I often check mine against his and stuff missing from mine is usually missing from his too.

Dinosaur drivers will tell you a map is all you need and prat-navs are the spawn of the devil but so far my 5150 has been the most reliable navigation tool I’ve ever used.

alder:

Dieseldoforme:

alder:

Just for you Alder.

Arrr thanks mate that is very decent of you :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Will it be on my tom tom for next week?

its already on there
just touch the bottom and select alternative route (before you turn off cos of road closure)
select avoid roadblock
select 300 yards or 3 miles etc
and it re routes you

villa:

alder:

Dieseldoforme:

alder:

Just for you Alder.

its already on there
just touch the bottom and select alternative route (before you turn off cos of road closure)
select avoid roadblock
select 300 yards or 3 miles etc
and it re routes you

Ha ha yeah I know about that one lol but it is useless on my old tom tom as it thinks I am in a car. Reroutes you around every back road with weight limits ad low bridges. Anyway I only use my old tom tom with the itinerary function so I can cross reference with the truckers map. Before you say get a tom tom 5150, I know I know lol

This is the sort of crap you have to put up with during the night at 02.30!
How on earth are you supposed to do time sensitive deliveries with so many road closures at one time.

moomooland:
This is the sort of crap you have to put up with during the night at 02.30!
How on earth are you supposed to do time sensitive deliveries with so many road closures at one time.

Great map of the chaos we have to endure and of course the business will not allow extra time.