Night tramping

Where am I guna park lads?

Looking at 0100 to 0400 finish times.

■■■■ taking and serious answers welcome :laughing:

You got no chance of finding anywhere quiet to park up if you’re going to be sleeping in the truck and come summer it’s unbearable. I’d tell them to shove night tramping up their backsides unless they’re prepared to put you up in a B&B or pay for a bedroom at a truckstop if they have them.

Conor:
You got no chance of finding anywhere quiet to park up if you’re going to be sleeping in the truck and come summer it’s unbearable. I’d tell them to shove night tramping up their backsides unless they’re prepared to put you up in a B&B or pay for a bedroom at a truckstop if they have them.

At 3-am plenty empty Spice at services.

What area?
:confused:

Quiet motel or nothing,your finish times would be just as everybody is starting up ready for the off. As Conor has said come summer with the heat in you cab your not going to get much sleep if any at all

Conor:

^^^^^^

1000% this. Night Tramping ffs. This is exactly what we mean by the anti social working conditions which should be stamped out. I would add that if anyone even considers this, then the employer guarantees that the deliveries take second place to reaching the prebooked accommodation if there are delays.

Night and mornings aren`t normally that hot in the UK IMHO.

If they are night coolers are available for fitting at reasonable cost.
kudauk.ltd.uk/product/indel … ost-trucks
kudauk.ltd.uk/product/indel … oler-turbo
I know of several trucks with similar fitted, and the drivers say they work well.

Finding a slot at 04hr00 will be easier than finding one at 01hr00.
Daytime noise might be a problem in public places such as services.

Not for me, but each to their own.

About 10 years or so ago I did 2 weeks work tugging a Tarmac paver machine onto the M25 widening scheme. It was night work so we tryed to kip during the day at South Mims services. It was impossible to sleep as you was either woken by noisy tossers gobbing off next to your cab or the heat of the midday sun.
It was only due to the fact that we had about 5 hours down time waiting for the paver to reach the end of the rip during the night work that enabed us to catch up on some sleep.
It is not something I would do again unless I was put up in to a hotel!

20 notes per hour lads.

A fair rate imo.

Franglais:

They aren’t but by the middle of June parked up trying to sleep in your truck it’s going to be hitting 30C inside the cab by mid morning.

Andrejs:
At 3-am plenty empty Spice at services.

It’s not about the empty spaces, it’s about being able to get decent sleep. By 8am in the morning there’s trucks parking up and setting off all the time, many more than on a night time where you’ve only got the odd night trunkers pulling in for a break.

cav551:

Conor:

^^^^^^

1000% this. Night Tramping ffs. This is exactly what we mean by the anti social working conditions which should be stamped out. I would add that if anyone even considers this, then the employer guarantees that the deliveries take second place to reaching the prebooked accommodation if there are delays.

If they installed cab-coolers as standard rather than ‘luxury’ then this would work wonderfully ,but this concept somewhat flies under the elf n safety-common -humanity radars l guess ? :smiling_imp:

Conor:

Franglais:

They aren’t but by the middle of June parked up trying to sleep in your truck it’s going to be hitting 30C inside the cab by mid morning.

And the fact that we aren’t inherently accustomed to the odd blistering temps as our southern Euro bretheren experience, makes the situation a whole lot more…amplified.3 bad kips in a week isn’t unusual on those unpredictable albeit,rare occasions.A serious situation that could be resolved if doing such an unatural type of work. :confused:

Conor:

Franglais:

30 deg Celcius?
Time to change the winter duvet for the spring one. :smiley:

Night trampings sound in the winter. Swerve lay-bys and services, you’ll find a few quiet spots as you go.

Ear plugs are really cheap and plentiful!

stu675:

I never got on with plugs, always felt uncomfortable. Then in the night I would wake up with a painfull earhole and end up taking them.

msgyorkie:

stu675:

I never got on with plugs, always felt uncomfortable. Then in the night I would wake up with a painfull earhole and end up taking them out.

You could try custom moulded earplugs from about £150. They are solid silcone rather than foam so they are not trying to expand inside your ear in use.
A bit extreme, but if they let you do your job, might be worth it.

The overheads for EU truckers coming here to the UK - has never been higher.

As time goes on, you’ll notice the number of foreign trucks that habitually fill up all our laybys around the country - start to diminish.

From the Foreign Haulier’s point of view, they are now expected to NOT park in Kent, and park ever deeper into the country, to get near these many “Trunk Corridor” depots springing up.

This makes it harder for them to do their old thing of “double fuel tank, drive 1000 miles around the UK without ever having to fill up here, and pay our road duty”…

As time goes on, the costs will continue to mushroom, and the process of natural selection will get rid of all but the hardist outfits, that will also find themselves gradually losing drivers to the UK economy…

They are already coming over here, don’t forget - know the score. Might want to fill their boots with some £3k per month job, and at last chuck in that <1000 Euro per month job they are currently doing back hom…

It is a waiting game from now on then.

Build the Laybys - and eventually the foreigners will stop coming, and you’ll more often be able to get a space in the evening to park up for the night.

There are still a lot of Laybys not yet finished from their extensions - coned off, entire roads like Watling Street - closed off at the weekends for the contruction of… :bulb:
Observation rather than speculation there.

Closest I came to it was about 20 years ago, the firm I worked for got a new job from Johnson Controls Redditch doing a night run up to Hartlepool trailer swap.
They took me off Euro,.and put me on it for 3 months, because they trusted me not to ■■■■ their new job up for them basically, as it was going to lead to a lot more work, but depending on how this went.
I got finished about 6 am, and parked up in a quiet corner to 6 pm for next shift. watched DVDs etc,.went for walks, had about 7 to 8 hours kip .
Got paid handsomely for it, but wouldn’t like to do it all the time.