Night Time Working

Normally this is limited to 10 hours unless a collective agreement is in place,

Question i have been asked(which I hope someone can help me with) is

What is the situation if ALL drivers do not agree with working more than the 10 hours■■?

Any help would be gratefully recieved :smiley: :smiley:

John

Speaking from experience the vote goes with the majority

ASDADRIVER:

To clarify a little more 7 drivers - 4 opt out of 10 hour, 3 don’t want to do more than 10 hours

Can the 3 be forced to do more■■?

chevmac:

ASDADRIVER:

To clarify a little more 7 drivers - 4 opt out of 10 hour, 3 don’t want to do more than 10 hours

You do know it is ten hours of actual work, driving and other work, and not a ten hour shift?

Posted by Coffeeholic borrowing this account and Tapatalk

jimboy124:

chevmac:

ASDADRIVER:

You do know it is ten hours of actual work, driving and other work, and not a ten hour shift?

Posted by Coffeeholic borrowing this account and Tapatalk

Thanks for pointing that out jim - the answer is yes- hence the reason I titled it 10 hour working.

chevmac:

With such a small majority I would suggest they try to come to a compromise, something like a maximum of 12 hours working time maybe, and have it written into the opt out agreement.

tachograph:

chevmac:

With such a small majority I would suggest they try to come to a compromise, something like a maximum of 12 hours working time maybe, and have it written into the opt out agreement.

The problem is they are paid per shift so i guess it’s gonna be a no win situation - still like to know what the score is if some say no to more than 10 working :question: :question:

Then I’m pretty sure the majority would get their way and the others would have to accept it or move on, perhaps more reason for the 3 to see if they can get a compromise from the others.

I’d say that for the 3 drivers it’s pretty much down to damage limitation now.

edit: Is there anything in the contract of employment that would be relevant ?

If they’re paid by the shift presumably they’ll be negotiating a better shift rate for the extra hours ?

we were stitched up by management last year over this…we had 2 reps…1 for the trunkers(on salary)and 1 for the delivery drivers(hourly paid)…we were 2 separate entitys untill the trunkers voted against the agreement and surprise surprise the hourly paid drivers voted for…suddenly the management decided we were no longer 2 different groups…but 1 big group in which we were outvoted!

T

tachograph:

chevmac:
To clarify a little more 7 drivers - 4 opt out of 10 hour, 3 don’tg :bulb: want to do more than 10 hours

That’s what we have at our place, we compromised and have a max of a 12 hour shift on nights which is spot on really.

Just to add a bit of clarification, it is 10hrs work. This 10hrs does not include breaks or PoA AIUI. Yet another pointless bit of legislation.

Conor:
Just to add a bit of clarification, it is 10hrs work. This 10hrs does not include breaks or PoA AIUI. Yet another pointless bit of legislation.

If you read the post you will find that has already been posted

What if nobody was asked . Outfit I was working for in Washington just carried as normal. When I asked the shop steward about it he said he couldn’t get hold of me to vote. When I asked the rest of the night drivers none of them had been asked neither. Surely the firm needs some sort of proof that a vote has been taken

night shift bri:
What if nobody was asked . Outfit I was working for in Washington just carried as normal. When I asked the shop steward about it he said he couldn’t get hold of me to vote. When I asked the rest of the night drivers none of them had been asked neither. Surely the firm needs some sort of proof that a vote has been taken

If you’ve got a union as you obviously have I believe they can negotiate and agree on an opt out agreement on your behalf, though to be honest if I was in a union and the shop stewards didn’t even bother to get the workers feelings on the subject I’d be calling for the shop stewards to be voted out :open_mouth:

It kind of makes a union pointless if they don’t let you or inform you about a vote. As far as the 10 hours go, it should be made clear that a majority vote wins. Although a 4-3 vote is kind of questionable. I would max it out at 12 hours and see if you can get all on board.