Night time hours.

Gents, I starting to confuse myself as to when I’m able to drive again! I started at 2308 last night and finished at 0906 this morning. I did minimal driving as I was just unloading 2 trailers. I’m just coming to completing a 9 hour reduced daily break. Am I good to start driving again at 1806?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

You are correct as long as you’ve not used up your 3 reduce rest periods already.

barrykam:
I started at 2308 last night

Ouch!

So the part which says you can only work 10 hours in a 24 hour period. Surely the 24 hour period for me would be 2308 Tues to 2308 Weds? Which would mean I can’t start working again until 2308 this evening.

bald bloke:
You are correct as long as you’ve not used up your 3 reduce rest periods already.

10 hour rule can be opted out of via a workforce agreement which you’ll find is most likely in place.

harrawaffa:
10 hour rule can be opted out of via a workforce agreement which you’ll find is most likely in place.

And it only includes other work or driving, not PoA or breaks.

When you took the job you’d have 99.99999% likely signed a piece of paper opting out of the 10 hour rule. Had you not signed it, you wouldn’t be writing this post as you’d not have been employed in the first place. So you’ve obviously signed it… meaning you’re subject to 15 hours, just like all the day monkeys.

ezydriver:
When you took the job you’d have 99.99999% likely signed a piece of paper opting out of the 10 hour rule. Had you not signed it, you wouldn’t be writing this post as you’d not have been employed in the first place. So you’ve obviously signed it… meaning you’re subject to 15 hours, just like all the day monkeys.

The 10 hour rule is not something you can opt out of (or decline to opt out of) on an individual basis, so you won’t normally be asked to sign any such piece of paper. The workforce will have collectively agreed to opt out (or remain in) and the decision applies to anyone who joins later, regardless of their individual acceptance/rejection.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

ezydriver:

The 10 hour rule is not something you can opt out of (or decline to opt out of) on an individual basis, so you won’t normally be asked to sign any such piece of paper. The workforce will have collectively agreed to opt out (or remain in) and the decision applies to anyone who joins later, regardless of their individual acceptance/rejection.

And they opt out of it collectively by individually signing pieces of paper, do they not? I’ve always signed a piece of paper and been told it’s consenting to the collective agreement. Basically, had I not signed, I’d not have been employed.

ezydriver:

Well ezydriver I must be in that 0.000001% that hasn’t signed it! I’m now trying to figure out how I got employed having not signed it and weather I should just fire myself in the morning or come clean with my employer and tell him I haven’t signed it. Apart from your soap box opinion do you actually know the answer to my original question or do you just scan the forums commenting irrelevant drivel?

ezydriver:

Roymondo:

ezydriver:

And they opt out of it collectively by individually signing pieces of paper, do they not? I’ve always signed a piece of paper and been told it’s consenting to the collective agreement. Basically, had I not signed, I’d not have been employed.

You don’t “consent to” a collective agreement if you later join the workplace - The agreement is in place and applies to the workplace in question regardless of your individual wishes. This is essentially the point of a collective agreement. Even among existing workers, it is not necessary for all of them to sign and accept (or reject) the opt-out for it to be legally binding. In larger (i.e. more than 20) groups of workers, the collective agreement can be accepted by their authorised representatives (e.g. Union Reps or some other representative body), or for smaller groups by a simple majority of workers (e.g. by signing individual pieces of paper). Regardless of how it is done, it is NOT necessary for all to sign, or even for all to agree. Any paper you have been asked to sign is almost certainly just an arse-covering exercise by the employer to ensure that you have had the existence of an opt-out (or rejection thereof) pointed out to you. Your consent doesn’t enter into it.

Roymondo:

ezydriver:

Roymondo:

ezydriver:

You don’t “consent to” a collective agreement if you later join the workplace - The agreement is in place and applies to the workplace in question regardless of your individual wishes. This is essentially the point of a collective agreement. Even among existing workers, it is not necessary for all of them to sign and accept (or reject) the opt-out for it to be legally binding. In larger (i.e. more than 20) groups of workers, the collective agreement can be accepted by their authorised representatives (e.g. Union Reps or some other representative body), or for smaller groups by a simple majority of workers (e.g. by signing individual pieces of paper). Regardless of how it is done, it is NOT necessary for all to sign, or even for all to agree. Any paper you have been asked to sign is almost certainly just an arse-covering exercise by the employer to ensure that you have had the existence of an opt-out (or rejection thereof) pointed out to you. Your consent doesn’t enter into it.

I now consider myself educated.