Night shift

Any stories of working nights and best and worst companies, i did some agency work fo Mr Kipling Stoke , brilliant job just couldnt get used to sleeping in the day.

I could have sworn there was another night shift thread we had recently that spread to several pages. Have they all been removed by the mods or is this one where the OP didn’t notice the other, which I can’t find now either :astonished: :blush: :unamused: :unamused: :sunglasses:

Saratoga:
I could have sworn there was another night shift thread we had recently that spread to several pages

Is it the “Switched to Nights” thread you’re thinking of by any chance ?

Yeah, that would be it Tachograph :wink: Thanks for the link. Although no one else has replied to the OP either. :unamused: :unamused:

Drove nights for about 6 years whilst driving for Smith of Maddiston,Manchester,took about 6 weeks for me to get used to sleeping days,but the increase in wages more than made up for the inconvenience.

I drove trunks or change overs,dependant on traffic,big hate for me was heading home as the sun came up,dont know why,just became something that got to me,the other hate was driving up to Maddiston,back to Manchester,then told to take a Market Drayton trailer and return with an empty back to Manchester,they were long nights they were,I used to get back and the day shift had started,with the day man complaining why was he waiting so long!!!

However,glad to be off the road now,it looks a bloody nightmare!

David :slight_smile:

That sounds a fair job dave, Mr Kiplings was the opposite ive never drunk so much tea at work , really steady job, hardest part was getting used to sed atkinson 400 with back to front gearchange!

Best night-shift job Ive ever had,was working for City-Link on night trunk from Manchester to thier hub down Willenhall way,mind that was 7 years ago,but since then,subbying for DHL with a fridge from Wisbech to Lowestoft twice a night,now that was good!!!

We did a lot of night work on carriageway resufacing jobs for Tarmac, usually M1 or A1, M42 etc also the new North Bridge at Doncaster when that was being constructed. Usually did a split shift, start at around 5.30am and do a short run then knock off until around 8pm when you did (say) two to Doncaster which would take you to around 4.am. Kip in truck for a couple of hours until mixing started at 5am then do another short one and knock off until midnight and then start all over again. Very good earners but you were bloomin knackered at the end of the week! Night work was at rate and a half, the main problem was if you broke down at night as the call outs would be pricey.
RMC were better for nights, they booked you for two loads and even if the job was cut down and you only did one they still payed you for two, Tarmac just sent you home.
Pete.