Night Rate(s)

One of the local agencies is offering occasional night trunk work for a parcel company up to Willenhall, their rate is a flat rate of £10ph, no matter what. As i’ve been offered a run tonight I’d thought I’d ask for thoughts and opinions. £10ph is not bad and quite a few agencies are now paying that as a basic day rate, so a night rate should be a bit more or am I just too ‘greedy’. No smarmy remarks please. BTW start time of 18:00.

Depends what time you finnish :question: :question: as I thought night was 12.00 - 04.00 start but think a lot depends on you

Where I am the start is £6.50 ( that is sometimes a flat rate ) but £8.00 is the most I have been offered

When i was on nights last i finished them in september and i was on 13.25 an hour at that was employed driver

I get £104 for a 12 hour night shift, then £8.66 ph after. So £10 ph is better but for berkshire (south) I dont know, a job is a job atm though so beggers cant be choosers.

Last time I did it I was back within 6 hours, no min hours just paid for the actual work hours. don’t want to turn away work but after all the deductions & fuel it’s not economical.

Just checked my records and the last time i did a job for them was on a Saturday and the rate was £10.

Paul-H:
Just checked my records and the last time i did a job for them was on a Saturday and the rate was £10.

An agency round here for working at a particular client is paying-
days £9
nights £10
sat £11
sun £12
All paid straight through 8 hours minimum with one 45 minute break deduction.
And you are lucky to get 2 shifts per week.

I signed up with these boys about a year ago and this would be my second shift for them, good job I wasn’t ‘hanging’ around waiting for them to call.

£10-12 is the going rate for agencies on nights. It should be a minimum 8 hours paid though as only Tesco have the clout to drop this to 6 hours minimum pay, tell the rest to do one, I wouldn’t even accept that condition off Tesco, they can go jump.

Just tell them you want a minimum 8 hours pay if you’re not that arsed about it, they can take it or leave it then, £60 for going in to work? I’d rather stay home and have a ■■■■.

Oh well, just got cancelled, I was going to insist on 8hrs min but now i can have a few beers and watch NCIS.

My rates are;

Mon-fri £10ph whatever the time of day…£12.50 overtime rate after 10 hours.
Saturday £13.25ph whatever time
Sunday £14.25ph what ever time.

Had so many different agencies tell me that Sains is looking and so far no one has managed to get me in there, not even for an assessment.

Paul-H:
Had so many different agencies tell me that Sains is looking and so far no one has managed to get me in there, not even for an assessment.

I think the problem is Sainsbury’s give each of the agencies “turns” at having assessments…so the agency you’re with might not get any slots given to them until March for instance…but Sainsburys have assessments going on most Mondays and Thursdays. Try either Euromart (who I’m with) or Class One Driver Hire, who I used to be with.

Class One Driver Hire rates are;

£10ph Mon-fri…not sure what their overtime rate is, but it kicks in after 8 hours instead of 10.
and I think its £15ph saturdays and £16ph Sundays…although their rates are better, they’re not in there as often, you’ll be working for other companies at lower rates…Euromart is the main agency…but once you get into Sainsbury’s with one agency, you can’t change agencies.

It is quite likely that the agency is charging 8hrs min. and they will try to pay you actual hrs.

Trev_H:
It is quite likely that the agency is charging 8hrs min. and they will try to pay you actual hrs.

Nope…Sainsbury’s only guarantee 6 hours.

Trev_H:

Aye and they will be telling you that the customer is dictating this rather than the truth which is they are having your pants down without you realising it. The big 4 may stipulate the 6 hour rule but no one else is going to be doing this. No 8 hours minimum = non starter.

Sainsbury’s are quite at the moment and don’t even have enough work for their own drivers so I wouldn’t hold your breath on that front and if they only guarantee 6 ■■■■ 'em anyway.