Night out

I have started a new job. Is it ok when you driving depot towards end of your long shift just to receive phone call to find out its a night out■■? No notice, nothing. Your vote?

Well, if you are expected to sleep in the truck, and haven’t got your essential night out gear with you, i.e. sleeping bag / wash gear etc, then I would say that was unreasonable.

Personally, being old school, I would rough it for the one night, but have serious words with management tomorrow, and take night out gear with me from now on, just in case, because we all know how unpredictable haulage is.

Best wishes.

And it depends if your job title is a tramper or day man,but to be honest its worth carrying night out gear if your a day man

rigga70:
And it depends if your job title is a tramper or day man,but to be honest its worth carrying night out gear if your a day man

Totally agree. I’m 90% days with the odd night out but I’m always prepared to stop out if I get delayed at a collection/drop or even get sent 200 miles in the wrong direction.
Makes it easier for commuting the next morning, as it’s only 3ft to the steering wheel. :laughing:

martinviking:

rigga70:

Totally agree. I’m 90% days with the odd night out but I’m always prepared to stop out if I get delayed at a collection/drop or even get sent 200 miles in the wrong direction.
Makes it easier for commuting the next morning, as it’s only 3ft to the steering wheel. :laughing:

That’s true, for 10 years I totally forgot what it was like to drive in rush hour traffic, well whilst not being paid for it I mean :laughing:

rigga70:
its worth carrying night out gear if your a day man

This!! I got stuck out an hour from the yard once with FA night out gear and a broken heater and it was bloody awful! Now i’d of just driven back regardless of hours but back then i was to scared about getting in trouble :unamused: .

Saaamon:

rigga70:
its worth carrying night out gear if your a day man

This!! I got stuck out an hour from the yard once with FA night out gear and a broken heater and it was bloody awful! Now i’d of just driven back regardless of hours but back then i was to scared about getting in trouble :unamused: .

I slept across the seats in a D series Ford many years ago- Never Again ! Worst night’s sleep ever.
Even if I do one night a month, I’ve got all my gear with me.

i think in transport if your role may involve a night out even if its only the odd one then personally i would be prepared for it, transport isnt nine to five by the nature of the job things happen unfortunatly sometimes its last min .com

Worst Night out you can have ///// Flying long haul

to be fair, even if you have no gear, pop in to a Sainsbury (other supermarkets are available) buy a duvet and sheet for all of 25 quid wet wipes tooth brush and your sorted oh and 40p water to brush teeth and ur done plenty of 24 hours open.

Thanks for replies. I was prepared. My point was that should there be any notice lets say before shift started or even previous day?

I was not delayed etc. Had time to come back. He said I started before 4am therefore I can only work 10hr shift :smiley: Still that was after 3pm so I already did over10. He claimed it is per wtd rules. I say what■■?

Also behind this was that I had morning collection next day. So was all this fine or…

chrisv401:
Thanks for replies. I was prepared. My point was that should there be any notice lets say before shift started or even previous day?

Of course.

My answer to it is quite simple : if you don’t tell me it’s a night out when booking me for the job then I shalln’t be doing one unless some unavoidable catastrophe happens during the shift.

Unless I was employed as a day driver, I always assumed any days work would involve a night out- getting home was a bonus, the transport industry is not static, and it only takes one phone call from a client to throw days of planning out the window. Transport is a “service” industry and to keep ahead of the rest companies have to be flexible, and that includes the driver- so if your contracted to “do nights out as needed” then it is a reasonable request

JLS Driver SOS:
Worst Night out you can have ///// Flying long haul in cattle class

fixed that 4u :smiley:

JLS Driver SOS:

Not true :exclamation:
I love long haul on Virgin, countess TV channels, games, unlimitted beer … OH and the cabin crew treat you like a human being :slight_smile:

When the company called and told you it was a night out you should have asked what Hotel they have booked you in to :question:

Pat Hasler:

JLS Driver SOS:

I love long haul on Virgin, countess TV channels, games, unlimitted beer … OH and the cabin crew treat you like a human being :slight_smile:

USA to UK isn’t long haul that’s almost domestic :laughing: Anyway don’t show off because you fly business :wink:

JLS Driver SOS:

Pat Hasler:

JLS Driver SOS:

USA to UK isn’t long haul that’s almost domestic :laughing: Anyway don’t show off because you fly business :wink:

Off the OP topic…but, on a flight from HK to Auckland my company was a Canadian log hut builder and we spent the 9-odd hours consuming countless Hienekens…one of the better flights,regetted it later though.

chrisv401:
I have started a new job. Is it ok when you driving depot towards end of your long shift just to receive phone call to find out its a night out■■? No notice, nothing. Your vote?

perfectly acceptable!

provided that, in the job description, terms and contract of employment, which you signed, you accepted that you were prepared to drive while exhausted, did not expect to have a family life, a social life, a hobby or need to make plans for anything!

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Lol at hotel booking :d So I guess it will be american dream then :stuck_out_tongue: