Night out money

Talking to a friend today who tells me his company won’t pay night out money, if their drop is less than 3 hours from base, so I’m thinking that if the company won’t, then as long as you can prove you had a night out, can you claim it back from Revenue and Customs?

I don’t want this thread to turn into a, “Well if they won’t pay it, I ain’t doing it,” or similar, I just need to know if anyone has done it or not.

Ken.

Quinny:
Talking to a friend today who tells me his company won’t pay night out money, if their drop is less than 3 hours from base, so I’m thinking that if the company won’t, then as long as you can prove you had a night out, can you claim it back from Revenue and Customs?

I don’t want this thread to turn into a, “Well if they won’t pay it, I ain’t doing it,” or similar, I just need to know if anyone has done it or not.

Ken.

Read youre post a couple of times and cant get my head round it.
They wont pay night out “if less than 3 Hrs from base” :confused:
What has your friend got to do ,bring the load back if he/she has got 2hrs 59 mins driving time left?

Suedehead:

Me too.

If the driver in question has to have a night out, then the employer has to pay night out money. No ifs, no buts.

Quinny:

Ken.

What this seems to me is the company is telling the drivers to run ilegally or do without.
One thing I miss over here is night out money :frowning: As most weeks lately I spend mpnday to friday away in mt truck and don’t get a cent in night out pay. My previous company although a small family firm paid lay over (night out) pay even if you got home legally but exceeeded 600 miles in a day which is quite easy to do over here.

What is there reasoning behind this? It’s not an issue with HMR&C, their only location requirement is that the driver spent the night away from base. There is no minimum distance involved.

Don’t know why they are doing it, but the drivers are up in arms about it, literally.

They don’t run bent, as they are a high profile furniture manufacturer with 70 drivers, not a transport company, but it’s the usual, “times are hard and we need to save” scenario. They just gave 50 people on the site in all of the departments redundancy notices yesterday, so it isn’t looking good.

Ken.

Quinny:
Don’t know why they are doing it, but the drivers are up in arms about it, literally.

They don’t run bent, as they are a high profile furniture manufacturer with 70 drivers, not a transport company, but it’s the usual, “times are hard and we need to save” scenario. They just gave 50 people on the site in all of the departments redundancy notices yesterday, so it isn’t looking good.

Ken.

This is the Batley part of Silentnight then Ken?

Rest assured if they do not roll over & pay their drivers I can see someone throwing their teddy out of bed

Harry Monk:

Suedehead:

Me too.

If the driver in question has to have a night out, then the employer has to pay night out money. No ifs, no buts.

i have to agree with this.
i worked for the same guy for nearly 12 years, had our ups and downs, but it mostly suited me, until a couple of years ago, he explained, that we wouldn’t get night out money anymore, when we were on the santander boat, (saturdays, portsmouth-santander) so i told him, that was fine, i’d much prefer my weekends at home anyway, and wouldn’t ship weekends anymore. if i’m on the boat, with his truck and goods, for his benefit, i want bloody paying for it. this was the start of the slow decline, for what was once a cracking little firm to work for.

Quinny:

Ken.

In a NE direction from Leeds?

Harry Monk:

Suedehead:

Me too.

I think you may find. that there isnt any law stating nite out money must be paid, out of pocket expenses yes IE for up keep of bedding/cleaning bedding, this doesnt even include meals either, its normally a under writen rule where a company pays nite out money, "and if the tax man can get a bit he will " to make it more of a benifit to the driver to do nites out

globby 480:

Harry Monk:

Suedehead:

Me too.

I think you may find H. that there isnt any law stating nite out money must be paid, out of pocket expenses yes IE for up keep of bedding/cleaning bedding etc,etc, its normal a under writen rule where a company pays nite out money,to make it more of a benifit to the driver to do nites out

That may be true, but as the HMRC essentially ‘give’ you the money (as employer) for the “night out” (to keep it simple) which you can claim straight back, why withhold it from your drivers and cause a whole pile of aggro? The only logical explanations are that the employer is thick as ■■■■ (unlikely seeing as they paid night out money just fine up until this point) or they are pocketing the money themselves.

The obvious thing to do is for the drivers to work to rule, take their time and run out of hours at least 40 miles from home.

Brings back memories of Swifts sayng they wouldn’t pay us overtime after the 10 hours ‘job and finish’ pay we got even if we exceeded that 10 hours, which most nights we did. We decided that we would just work to rule and actually stop after 10 hours no matter where we were, It lasted a week before the company caved in and paid us 12 hours a night job and finish with anything over the 12 paid too.
It cost them a fortune for a week of having to have trucks parked up somewhere instead of at base.