NIGHT OUT MONEY

PLEASE READ THIS AND COMMENTS ARE WELCOME

SCROLL DOWN TO THIS YEARS ALLOWANCE

rha.uk.net/docs/internet/emp … 202011.pdf

gadge:

£23.15 tax free allowance for a driver with a sleeper cab? Whats there to comment on, oh ! Hang on, the document is called BLIND SPOT MIRRORS !!! Thats the RHA, don;t know the 'R’s from the ‘L’ Bow !!!

Mike-C:

gadge:

£23.15 tax free allowance for a driver with a sleeper cab? Whats there to comment on, oh ! Hang on, the document is called BLIND SPOT MIRRORS !!! Thats the RHA, don;t know the 'R’s from the ‘L’ Bow !!!

AYE VERY GOOD , I TAKE IT YOUR GETTING MORE THAN THE £23 QUID , no was looking for a link to see what the score is with night out payments , and this was the link i got , smart arse !!!

Lorries with Sleeper Cabs
The onus is on the employer to satisfy himself that any amounts paid free of tax are no more than a reasonable reimbursement of the average allowable expenses of the driver whilst staying away from home and place of work overnight.

The mere fact that a lorry has a sleeper cab does not prevent the employer paying an amount tax free up to the nationally agreed limit provided that he is satisfied that the driver did incur expenses on overnight accommodation and meals.
Where the employer knows that the driver uses the sleeper cab, he should pay free of tax only what represents a reasonable reimbursement of:
- evening meal and breakfast
- washing facilities
- upkeep of bedding in the cab

That sums it up in my opinion :unamused:

It’s never been a vast amount :cry:

But, there is nothing to stop your eployer (such as ours) paying more than that.

Thery could give you £30.00, £40.00 or any amount they wish…you are then only be taxed on the difference between the £23.15 and your payment. Many companies try and shy away from this little ‘extra’ they could provide.

im getting less than the £23.16… will be having a word in his ear i think :imp:

gadge:
im getting less than the £23.16… will be having a word in his ear i think :imp:

And I can guess what his reply will be Lol

It’s not as if the company can reclaim the £23.16 from the Government as a tax refund, they still have to pay it out of their own profits, however, I suppose they could lower your hourly rate and increase the allowance so you pay less tax that way.

So can I claim parking charges ON TOP of the £35 night out allowance or should the night out allowance be used to cover parking fees? Or is it down to the companies policy? Nothing in my contract about this as nights out are new to our company. If I ask my supervisor about this he will instantly say ‘no’ regardless

Squiddy:
So can I claim parking charges ON TOP of the £35 night out allowance or should the night out allowance be used to cover parking fees? Or is it down to the companies policy? Nothing in my contract about this as nights out are new to our company. If I ask my supervisor about this he will instantly say ‘no’ regardless

If your getting £35 for a night out you’ll be paying tax on anything above the £23.16 so you need to sort it out with your boss.

I.E £15 for parking and your paying most of the Tax for the parking, moreso if the company says your allowance is only £20 per night and the rest is for parking charges

Squiddy:

Technically, night out money is referred to as “subsistence” this means it is money that you would need to cover what you need when you are away from home. Overnight parking has long been an issue with many firms that I know of, my ex boss refused to pay it, although at the time we were only getting £19 a night. MSA parking was around £18 at the time but his view was that as you were getting a meal voucher in the price then it was up to you if thats where you wanted to park, but he wouldn’t pay any extra.

A few drivers started parking wherever they could and as a result, fuel thefts and damage to curtains etc increased. I always made a point of ringing in, speaking to the TM and saying “Look, i’m about to park up, i’ve got whatever load on board, do you want me to park in a layby or will you pay parking tonight?” In the end if you put the ball back in their court its up to them. I was always happy to park in a layby freighted or empty, but always make it their call. Nine times out of ten you’ll get your parking paid too.

We only get just under 19 quid which don’t sound good but we always get our parking money back so I park wherever I can get a good deal on meal vouchers .

gadge:

Mike-C:

gadge:

AYE VERY GOOD , I TAKE IT YOUR GETTING MORE THAN THE £23 QUID

Yes i am :slight_smile:

Squiddy:

Night out money is to cover personal expenses incurred by the driver. Parking is not a personal expense so the company must pay that. If a driver is paying for the parking out of his night out money and The Revenue find out than the driver could be in for a tax bill as that amount should not have been paid to him tax free and they would seek to recover the tax owed on all those parking fees, that could be a tidy sum going back over a few years.

It seems they are starting to look a bit more closely at night out money payments so this could well happen. Mind you if anyone has been daft enough to pay for parking the company truck out of their own pocket they deserve a tax bill as a fine for stupidity. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

al be chinnin gaffer on monday and looking to get it back dated as well… :smiley:

Our company only pay £20 for a night out, but they pay all parking charges, and if a meal is included, they dont bat an eyelid…so its ideal when you can use the fuel card as well.

Whats the situation if you are constantly parked at the companies yard as i am doing on a regular basis and a night out payment is refused on the basis that you can go home despite living much too far away to actually get home because of the great distances involved in so doing?

Most of the drivers at my new firm live considerable distances away as there isn’t a convenient pool of them living near the company premises and therefore have to sacrifice any kind of home /social life and not get any financial compensation for acting as an unpaid security guard for the truck.

This surely breeches right to family life human rights issues and I wonder if it could be pursued in any legal situation.I know ,don’t hold your breath…etc,but this issue is increasingly bugging me and I intend to get some kind of protest written.Can anyone suggest a way forward with this as I have form in this area i.e constant phone calls to elf n safety got some dubious practices solved a few years ago when queuing at Felixstowe container port where drivers had to risk being run down at the entry booths when taking documents to a distant processing area.I badgered the h&s folks for many months,along with two other drivers acting indipendently,and now you just turn up and stay in the cab until they deal with you in one fell swoop,so without wishing to sound to crusadery about things,it does pay to pursue stuff with tenacity where there is blatant injustice and I think unpaid nights out falls into this context and is despicable.

Trappist monks have a better lifestyle than trampers,it’s an evil that needs urgent attention would’nt you agree folks?

manalishi:
Whats the situation if you are constantly parked at the companies yard as i am doing on a regular basis and a night out payment is refused on the basis that you can go home despite living much too far away to actually get home because of the great distances involved in so doing?

Most of the drivers at my new firm live considerable distances away as there isn’t a convenient pool of them living near the company premises and therefore have to sacrifice any kind of home /social life and not get any financial compensation for acting as an unpaid security guard for the truck.

This surely breeches right to family life human rights issues and I wonder if it could be pursued in any legal situation.I know ,don’t hold your breath…etc,but this issue is increasingly bugging me and I intend to get some kind of protest written.Can anyone suggest a way forward with this as I have form in this area i.e constant phone calls to elf n safety got some dubious practices solved a few years ago when queuing at Felixstowe container port where drivers had to risk being run down at the entry booths when taking documents to a distant processing area.I badgered the h&s folks for many months,along with two other drivers acting indipendently,and now you just turn up and stay in the cab until they deal with you in one fell swoop,so without wishing to sound to crusadery about things,it does pay to pursue stuff with tenacity where there is blatant injustice and I think unpaid nights out falls into this context and is despicable.

Trappist monks have a better lifestyle than trampers,it’s an evil that needs urgent attention would’nt you agree folks?

Ever thought of moving closer? But there again, if you can cause hassle for a company that employs you, why should you move…

Going back in my mind to when I lived in the UK. Fed Ex paid us 20 quid a night out and that was from 88 to 94 so back quite a bit.
My last comany in the UK paid us 25 quid a night but if we wanted to use a hotel they would book and pay that on top which was a really good deal, it was all tax free.
The first trucking company I drove for over here was family owned and run and treated us very well in thet regard … $30.00 for every layover/night out and if we did 600 or more miles a day we got that even if we got home so it was a good deal and before anyone back in blighty says anything about how 600 miles is a lot, 600 miles a day here is not a lot actually.
However … the company I now drive for pays nothing for a lay over/night out but then they do pay very high wages and it is up to us to claim tax relief eavery year.

manalishi:

are you being asked to stay in the truck?? is this the yard that you’re based in? unless they’re asking you to stop in the truck then it’s up to you to decide to go home or not. i’ve stop in the yard plenty of times rather than a 2 hour round trip plus juice. however i’ve had 2 firms pay me n/o money whilst stopping in the yard, 1 wanted me to go on a different contract at times which meant the possibility of not being away all week as opposed my normal contract which was guaranteed, i said only if you’ll pay me n/o, they said no problem. the 2nd offered it straight up on induction - they’re no longer about…

stevie

I’d be surprised if there are many companies out there who pay night out money if a driver CHOOSES to stay in his cab. In fact many of them wouldn’t allow it.

If you are asked to take a reduced break in the yard, and going home would take a big bite out of that, then I think it would be reasonable to ask - they could refuse but then you could insist on taking a full break.