Night out in dublin

just thought i would post this for any one thats ever night out,d in or around dublin. i tipped a load of lamp posts just short of dublin 10 minutes from a place called SWORDS our irish truck net.ers will maybe know the place… i took a mate of mine for company as i knew i would have the night out there. we went into swords for a few pints, and what this post is about is the friendly welcome we got really.
being a little bit aprehensive due to past problems over there .well i need not have worried. every pub we went into (and we went in to them all… about 10) we were welcomed with open arms, kept talking for ages two people even bought me n me pal a short. and what a lovely town it was aswell. so if your overnighting i can highly reccomend going here. and any reservations i had about there still being hatred for english folk has been well and truly dispelled. what a great night… and what lovely people we met …

The Problems were North of the Border Terry, but Ireland in a whole is a lovely Country, I’m over there on the 13th Aug for a Wedding in Belfest and decided to fly out on the Thursday and stay till Monday night.

EasyJet Newcastle to Belfast £55 return for 2 people

4 Nights at Hotel £350 :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Just hope your allowed to smoke in the pubs in Northern Ireland or I’ll be climbing the walls Lol :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

In my experience that is true of any night out I’ve ever had in Ireland and I’ve had a few in Dublin, Galaway and Cork, always a friendly welcome. Went into a pub in Ovens near Cork one night about nine and asked if they were still doing food "Ah sorry no, " he said, “but I could rustle you up a snack.” All I can say if that was a snack he rustled up I’m glad they had stopped doing the food because a meal would have been too large to eat.

forgot to mention that davey… strictly no smoking in pubs m8. southern ireland anyway, dont know about the north… we did spen a good bit standing at the doorways having a ciggy…lol

the no smoking rule applies to any enclosed area : pubs, warehouses, offices, restaurants etc etc- hence the pubs with gardens are doing very well. We can’t even smoke on Irish Ferries any more. The North, being part of the UK, it doesn’t apply.

as its at the workplace as well, smoking in the cab also comes into it if they so wish!!

When I was coach driving, I spent a lot of time in Ireland … one of the friendliest countries you could wish to visit. I was well looked after whereever I went though this may have been due to the fact I was carrying rich Americans “searching for their heritage”.
My favourite place though was Killarney!! I love it down there …

Yes definitely no bans on smoking,YET,although there is lot in the local papers about introducing a ban due to the “success of the ban in Southern Ireland” (not!).
Talk of a “trial ban” here before introducing it to UK.
There are some restrictions on smoking on the Ferries to England/Scotland.
regards derek

If you have never been to Southern Ireland, It’s worth a visit.

I had a weeks holiday there with the family.
Walking down the street one morning , several people wished me " Good morning"
"Do they know me? " I thought, after returning their greetings.
After BEING there for a week,It was normal for complete strangers to speak.
Friendly ? yes.

Try this when you are out shopping in England To - morrow.
Say good morning to a complete stranger and see what response you get !!

The scenery is similar to Scotland, but the people are friendlier :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers,

Niall.

Try this when you are out shopping in England To - morrow.
Say good morning to a complete stranger and see what response you get !!

The scenery is similar to Scotland, but the people are friendlier

That is so true!

A stranger would look at you like you were a nutter, or he would probably just tell you to zb off.

Sad Really :frowning:

Great to hear Terry! I look forward to the time I finally go over there, I always wanted to.

Ireland is a superb place. Used to do a regular run every month untill I got switched to Scotland. The west coast has some stunning scenery and good pubs. Just hang on to the wheel as some of the roads are really bad. Although there has been a massive road building campaign the last five years and they have improved no end.