Night out and a pint

You can read and hear many a story of the good ole days where people would park up for the night, get fed and sink a gallon or 2 at a night, but does anyone still nip to the pub on a night out,
I do, we prob N/O once a week and get paid a very good rate for it, I myself try and plan it so I can get a decent feed and a beer or 2 from a pub,
Just wondered if anyone else did or are people becoming cab prisoners.

cab prisoner here :cry:

I miss that part of trucking…pull up do ya paperwork…shower…pub, couple of pints first to wet the appetite…decent evening meal…washed down with several more pints…then off to bed…fall asleep watching tv, regret it next morning…big f-off breakfast and the day starts again, i think there are a lot more cab prisoners now…seems a lot of drivers like solitude, i liked the social side with the lads…stripper on thursday friday nights…the truck inn at widnes… is it still going that place ? good times. :slight_smile:

shytalk:
seems a lot of drivers like solitude,

Not really that suprising given half the stuff I’ve read on here

Gouls:

shytalk:

i think its more down to cost used to get 5 pints for a tenner not long back maybe extra fiver for a good feed!! i bet you’d be lucky to get 2 nowadays !! and a meal as well bet your looking at nearly 30 quid to do what you used to do !!

legin66:

Gouls:

shytalk:

i think its more down to cost used to get 5 pints for a tenner not long back maybe extra fiver for a good feed!! i bet you’d be lucky to get 2 nowadays !! and a meal as well bet your looking at nearly 30 quid to do what you used to do !!

You can get an offer in every town in the country, some big chain pubs dish out certain meals and pint for a 5er deals, A couple of month back at a pub inbetween Cannock and Stafford they were dealing a carvery and a pint for £7, my mate troughed a mixed grill and pint for £11.
After spending all day in the cab I am happy for a couple hours escape to somewhere that resembles civilisation :wink:

shytalk:
I miss that part of trucking…pull up do ya paperwork…shower…pub, couple of pints first to wet the appetite…decent evening meal…washed down with several more pints…then off to bed…fall asleep watching tv, regret it next morning…big f-off breakfast and the day starts again, i think there are a lot more cab prisoners now…seems a lot of drivers like solitude, i liked the social side with the lads…stripper on thursday friday nights…the truck inn at widnes… is it still going that place ? good times. :slight_smile:

Truck Inn in Widnes…Happy memories…Don’t know If It’s still open though…

Geoffo:

shytalk:

Long gone now, I believe, gents :frowning:

i think part of the reason people dont go for a pint is that youre planned up to the max and simply don`t have time.

billybigrig:

Geoffo:

shytalk:

Long gone now, I believe, gents :frowning:

That’s a shame…Defo a good place back In the day…

In the modern day of technology, I find it easier than ever to locate food/drink establishments, so if I can pop out for a liesurely pint and a spot of pub grub I go for it.
End of the day, you gotta treat yourself, no one else will.
Hoping to be doing just that tomorrow night if my planned job doesn’t change :smiley:

Probleem is, a lot of parking suitable for lorries near town centres has gone or is now out of bounds. Drivers used to park in Witney in the Welch Way car park. Now that’s a multi storey and I’ve not seen lorries use the long stay car park since that opened.
When Welch Way was used, lorry drivers would drink at the Cross Keys pub on the High Street for food. A friends’ family used to run it and they remember many mid week meals were bought by lorry drivers.
If anyone parks near Witney now, find directions for the towns’ newest pub, The Company of Weavers. It’s a Wetherspoon and very good food at good prices. About 5-10 mins walk from Station Lane Ind Estate, although Sainsburys nearby has a restaurant, it’s too slow getting served.

I have a pub in mind for tonight. 3 pints of real ale, 12 hours off. Be rude not to! Just don’t tell William!

happysack:
I have a pub in mind for tonight. 3 pints of real ale, 12 hours off. Be rude not to! Just don’t tell William!

Exactly my plans tomora … and my boss is called William too, but not the same one :smiley:

commonrail:
i think part of the reason people dont go for a pint is that youre planned up to the max and simply don`t have time.

I MAKE time, don’t let the ■■■■■■■■ grind you down. What is wrong with parking up for the night… in anything but a lay by :smiling_imp: and having a leisurely relaxing pint after a hard day, OK maybe not EVERY night, there’s too many self righteous prks in the job today that equate having a pint with having a skinful of drink, you park up beside them ask if they fancy a pint (in a butch-trucker manly way you understand!! :laughing: ) and they look at you like you have just ■■■■■■ on their shoes :unamused:… then go on to sit on their bunks curtains drawn, like Billy Nomates, there is minimal enjoyment in the job today as it is, so for Christ’s sake Chill Out!

Attended a few of those nights both during and after my time as a driver. Great times spent with good workmates. :smiley:

When i was driving i liked a meal and a good few pints at the end of the day,that was over 10yrs ago.Dont think its wise to do it these days as the police are keener with the breathalizer in the mornings compared to then+as was earlier posted its more expensive now
regards dave.

very rare i go for a beer now but a few years ago i was out every night and did go over the top with it as did most of the lads at the firm which isnt trading anymore…
im not pround of it i deserved to be done some mornings and i shudder to think what could of happend…now a bit older and a lot wiser but some guys i knew who are a lot older than me are still the same and get blathered every night.

just parked at south mimms no beer here so headed for premier inn nice place but £3.25 a pint bit steep for my liking

commonrail:

Add in the social changes that are part of modern society, and things start to look gloomy
Though I do see several drivers getting fully loaded during the week at the stockyard, and crawling back to their cabs, gawd know what state theyre in the next mornig when they drive off in the truck