Night out allowance.

Hello drivers,

just a quick question for the guys in the know.

Our firm has always paid for parking when in a truckstop etc, how ever recently they have stopped reinbursing, stating ‘this is what your night out money is for’ (£23 per night)

Is that correct? Or they trying to get away with not paying?

Also, secondly, I had a van job on as the lorry had gone quite, it required me to run up north deliver a few things then stay in a hotel, deliver something the following day and drie back.

And again she has said, I’m not giving you a penny night out allowance as we have booked a hotel for you.

Is that also correct in terms of law etc? I had to spend best part of £20 out of my own money that i wouldn’t of had to if I didn’t go…and this was done as a favour.

The original plan was them telling me to sleep in the van…but I promptly told them where to go with that one…

CHEEK!!

Thanks for any info/help guys.

They’re not obliged to pay for parking so it looks like laybys for you now.

As for the not paying night out money when you stay in a Hotel then they’re pulling a fast one but then again you don’t want to be sleeping across the seats do you.

Time for a new job maybe.

night out money is not to pay for parking, it is £2 per hour for you to give up your home life and sleep in a tin box.

Park up in laybys, especially ones with police warnings.

Then when they’ve had enough diesel nicked, curtains slashed and loads stolen they might start to see sense again.

Alternatively park in the MSA and don’t pay and let them deal with the resulting aggro.

I don’t think it’s an issue of “law”. Drivers night out money should not be used to pay for parking in MSA’s, end of story.

Either they pay on top of your night out money or you lay by it, simples.

The hotel question is a bit harder to deal with, if they pay for you evening meal & a couple of pints as well then I may be inclined to leave it on that front.

bald bloke:
They’re not obliged to pay for parking so it looks like laybys for you now.

As for the not paying night out money when you stay in a Hotel then they’re pulling a fast one but then again you don’t want to be sleeping across the seats do you.

Time for a new job maybe.

They are also not obliged to pay night out money either!

I dont get parking paid for unless its high value but that was is once in a blue moon.

Most van companies would of expected you to head straight back after you tipped!

My old boss said the same to me.

After I told him that I would park in laybys ,ind estates but if I ever get done over I will take him to the cleaners.

He soon changed his mind.

How do you end up having to pay £20 of your own money if you stay in a hotel paid for by the company?

Roymondo:
How do you end up having to pay £20 of your own money if you stay in a hotel paid for by the company?

On the basis that the OP is makebelieve, do you really want an answer to your Qu’ ?

TWENTY-THREE QUID■■?
I bet I’m not the only one on here who can remember the days when we got seven and a tanner!
Steve
(mind you, I did finish up with an organisation where we got £26 + parking + hotel bills + breakfast, 'cos we weren’t allowed to sleep in the lorries!)

I think Iam one of the lucky ones, we get £25 a night but we never sleep in the cab we get digs/hotels and we are away mon-fri. The only reason we wouldn’t get a overnight allowance is if we were in a hotel and we were getting 3 meals in that 24hr period, I think that’s only happened a couple of times though.

It is not night out allowance, it is not night out money, it is subsistance living allowance. This is a compulsory tax free allowance.

limeyphil:
…it is subsistance living allowance…

Yes but “night out money” slips off the tongue better.

Basically any company that tries to bum the driver out of his night out money for whatever reason is in financial difficulty and should be viewed with disdain & alternative employement sought post haste. :exclamation:

I really don’t understand why people moan about night out allowance as drivers. My mates in his final year of being an apprentice sparky. His company pay him £16 a night and with that he’s got to sort his own digs out, And that’s the same with most trades. I consider myself lucky listening to some of the dives he’s had to stay in.

roger red hat:
Hello drivers,

just a quick question for the guys in the know.

Our firm has always paid for parking when in a truckstop etc, how ever recently they have stopped reinbursing, stating ‘this is what your night out money is for’ (£23 per night)

Is that correct? Or they trying to get away with not paying?

Also, secondly, I had a van job on as the lorry had gone quite, it required me to run up north deliver a few things then stay in a hotel, deliver something the following day and drie back.

And again she has said, I’m not giving you a penny night out allowance as we have booked a hotel for you.

Is that also correct in terms of law etc? I had to spend best part of £20 out of my own money that i wouldn’t of had to if I didn’t go…and this was done as a favour.

The original plan was them telling me to sleep in the van…but I promptly told them where to go with that one…

CHEEK!!

Thanks for any info/help guys.

Why the 20 pound how did you spend that, you had a bed paid for. Ahh prime steak for dinner, some used to sleep across the seats and wake up with ice on the inside , night out money 2.50 or what ever it was in LSD such a load of wingers