NIght Out allowance

I am not sure how much it is these days, but drivers seem quit happy with it, many look at it as extra pay?

Neither can I recall how much I got when I used to do them, but remeber it not being enouth to cover expenses, especially if staying in a truck park and especially service area. I remeber getting a voucher for breakfast if i stayed in a park, but then there was lunch and evening meal and a coffee or two then more parking.

Curious as to how everyone thinks of how much they get for nights out?

Macski:
I am not sure how much it is these days, but drivers seem quit happy with it, many look at it as extra pay?

Neither can I recall how much I got when I used to do them, but remeber it not being enouth to cover expenses, especially if staying in a truck park and especially service area. I remeber getting a voucher for breakfast if i stayed in a park, but then there was lunch and evening meal and a coffee or two then more parking.

The night out allowance was never meant to be used to pay to park the lorry for the night. It is to cover the cost of meals and other expenses you wouldnt normally have when going home every night. Our lot pay the maximum £26.20 then top it up with a taxable £50 bonus.

If you’re working for a company that expects you to pay to park their truck using your night out money you need to either stop doing nights out for them or move to a different company.

£30 per night for me btw.

HMRC haven’t increased the allowance since at least 2013 effectively meaning it has been cut by over 20% over that time. Using the “Big Mac” index, a Big Mac was £2.69 in 2013 and is £3.39 now. If the £26.20 allowance had increased by the same rate it would be £33 now.

Why is your night out money not part of your wage ? , if your parking is paid by the company & you park at a services you get a voucher ( normally £10 ) , so that pays for your evening meal , you then get a £15 meal allowance per day ( stobarts ) which pays for your breakfast / dinner ( £7.50 ) should get you something decent for each meal , so your night out allowance is yours to use as part of your wage
The only ones who’d have to use there night out allowance / part of it are the one who get a fiver a day meal allowance but they’d still be hard pushed to spend 26.00 a day on food , unless there gready
I always counted my night out allowance as part of my wage as the £15 meal allowance + food I took fed me ok , then there was the £10 meal voucher if I parked at services I could use at m/s

Macski:

N/O Money is what it says nothing to do with lunch and any other meals during the day. if you are on day work and home every night you would be paying for your meals etc out of your own pocket,so why should n/o money cover them. Nice if you get meal allowance on top of your n/o money, but that usually only goes to cover part of your meals not all of it. As already been said if the Company at some does not reimburse you for o/n parking then its move on smartish

Technically…

If you ask for it in cash before you go, your employer must give you the readies.

Obviously, we let that one slip like everything else in the last 30 years or so.

dozy:
Why is your night out money not part of your wage ? , if your parking is paid by the company & you park at a services you get a voucher ( normally £10 ) , so that pays for your evening meal , you then get a £15 meal allowance per day ( stobarts ) which pays for your breakfast / dinner ( £7.50 ) should get you something decent for each meal , so your night out allowance is yours to use as part of your wage
The only ones who’d have to use there night out allowance / part of it are the one who get a fiver a day meal allowance but they’d still be hard pushed to spend 26.00 a day on food , unless there gready
I always counted my night out allowance as part of my wage as the £15 meal allowance + food I took fed me ok , then there was the £10 meal voucher if I parked at services I could use at m/s

Mostly because firms use that interpretation by some drivers to their advantage.
If you are on say 25 quid a n/o 5 x 25 =£125, so when they advertise a poor wage, that 125 bumps it up to look more attractive.
N/o money is classed as ‘‘subsistence’ if you re going to park in a lay by with yer pot noodle, I suppose essentially it becomes part of your wage, if you are going to spend a substantial part of it on a decent evening meal, maybe a drink, the amount you have left is a bonus.
I personally have never counted my n/‘o money as part of my wage…and neither for being …’‘An unpaid security guard, kipping in a tin box,.after having a Ginsters pie and a wet wipe wash’’…(.just thought I would be the first to get those old chestnuts in the mix btw. :smiley: )

Mine is 26 quid plus 4 and a half quid a day meal allowance, which bumps it up to £30 .50 for me.(plus any parking charges on top…as it should be.)

Harry Monk:
HMRC haven’t increased the allowance since at least 2013 effectively meaning it has been cut by over 20% over that time. Using the “Big Mac” index, a Big Mac was £2.69 in 2013 and is £3.39 now. If the £26.20 allowance had increased by the same rate it would be £33 now.

Many moons ago when I was on 100 quid a week it was £10 for a n/o which equates to obviously 10% of your wage.
On that figure we should be on around 60 to 80 quid depending on your basic or wage structure.

robroy:

dozy:

Mostly because firms use that interpretation by some drivers to their advantage.
If you are on say 25 quid a n/o 5 x 25 =£125, so when they advertise a poor wage, that 125 bumps it up to look more attractive.
N/o money is classed as ‘‘subsistence’ if you re going to park in a lay by with yer pot noodle, I suppose essentially it becomes part of your wage, if you are going to spend a substantial part of it on a decent evening meal, maybe a drink, the amount you have left is a bonus.
I personally have never counted my n/‘o money as part of my wage…and neither for being …’‘An unpaid security guard, kipping in a tin box,.after having a Ginsters pie and a wet wipe wash’’…(.just thought I would be the first to get those old chestnuts in the mix btw. :smiley: )

Mine is 26 quid plus 4 and a half quid a day meal allowance, which bumps it up to £30 .50 for me.(plus any parking charges on top…as it should be.)

I’ve never eat a pot noodle in my life , and only the odd can of lilt ( I always drank cans of cider , it helps with stress ) , ginsters pastys , no
How is it a interpretations rob , it’s fact , if I parked in a services I got a £10 meal voucher , a £15 meal allowance per day ( that’s £25 per day for food + what I took with me ) , so my night out allowance was mine , so as far as I was concerned it was part of my wage ( what else would it be )
I understand every one does different things at the end of the shift , if you go to the pub then you could spend it I’d guess , but a large majority don’t so to me your night out money / or a big part of it is yours / so it’s part of your wage
The last company I did a fair bit of work for paid £28 night out money / £10 meal allowance , paid parking & a lorry with a fridge / microwave , are you really going to spend you £28 n/o& £10 m/a ( £38 ) a day on food when you’ve a microwave / fridge in lorry , I can’t see it ( nb I was days / agency )
Anyway it’s time for my ham salad / Greek yougurt & a glass of water ( ZB diabetis ) , enjoy your pub food rob

dozy:

robroy:

dozy:

I’ve never eat a pot noodle in my life , and only the odd can of lilt ( I always drank cans of cider , it helps with stress ) , ginsters pastys , no
How is it a interpretations rob , it’s fact , if I parked in a services I got a £10 meal voucher , a £15 meal allowance per day ( that’s £25 per day for food + what I took with me ) , so my night out allowance was mine , so as far as I was concerned it was part of my wage ( what else would it be )
I understand every one does different things at the end of the shift , if you go to the pub then you could spend it I’d guess , but a large majority don’t so to me your night out money / or a big part of it is yours / so it’s part of your wage
The last company I did a fair bit of work for paid £28 night out money / £10 meal allowance , paid parking & a lorry with a fridge / microwave , are you really going to spend you £28 n/o& £10 m/a ( £38 ) a day on food when you’ve a microwave / fridge in lorry , I can’t see it ( nb I was days / agency )
Anyway it’s time for my ham salad / Greek yougurt & a glass of water ( ZB diabetis ) , enjoy your pub food rob

As I said doze it s an interpretation…ie how you personally interpret it/understand it,/take it, or chose to accept it, if you want to include it as your wage, then fair do’s.
I ve never been wary of spending it on nights out,.especially on a night ferry in the past for instance, .as that is when you start to look on it and depend on it as part of your wage if there is nowt left at end of week, so you miss it.

I personally interpret it in it’s literal sense, and how it was originally paid in the first place…‘‘subsistence’’ or ‘expenses’ , ie money paid to ‘Support yourself on a night away from home’'.I’m always wary of firms who try and con you by including potential 5 nights out money in wages advertised.

Of course I dont pay 30 quid every time I stop out, but if I have any of it left at end of week, I look upon it as ‘expenses left over’ rather than part of my wage, .

I know it’s maybe 6 and two threes as to how you consider it (or as I said interpret it) but that has always been my take on it anyhoo,.I suppose it all goes in the bank the same.
Enjoy yer salad. :wink: :smiley:

lolipop:
N/O Money is what it says nothing to do with lunch and any other meals during the day. if you are on day work and home every night you would be paying for your meals etc out of your own pocket,so why should n/o money cover them.

Because many companies cover their employees expenses when they are out on the road, even when they return home for the night, truck driver excluded.

Go to the car park on the motorway service area and see how many business travellers are boiling kettles and making meals in their BMWs and Audis? They go to the restaraunt and claim expenses.

I have no idea how much a meal costs at a services mow, £10 probably more with coffee x 2, 3 or 4 coffees at £4, parking around £30 that equals £52, you can cut costs by parking in truck stops or in industrial parks but even so £26 or whatever the allowance is doesn’t get you far.

I for one think it should be illegal to take a weekend break in a cab

Macski:

lolipop:
N/O Money is what it says nothing to do with lunch and any other meals during the day. if you are on day work and home every night you would be paying for your meals etc out of your own pocket,so why should n/o money cover them.

Because many companies cover their employees expenses when they are out on the road, even when they return home for the night, truck driver excluded.

Go to the car park on the motorway service area and see how many business travellers are boiling kettles and making meals in their BMWs and Audis? They go to the restaraunt and claim expenses.

I have no idea how much a meal costs at a services mow, £10 probably more with coffee x 2, 3 or 4 coffees at £4, parking around £30 that equals £52, you can cut costs by parking in truck stops or in industrial parks but even so £26 or whatever the allowance is doesn’t get you far.

I for one think it should be illegal to take a weekend break in a cab

I take your point, but they ain’t parking up in what is essentially a big camper van with all the facilities, but in as you say a BM or Audi.
I’m assuming you’re a day man who thinks nights away from home in a truck are the ‘‘works of Satan’’ :smiley: …but you are fully entitled to your opinion.

Where as many of us are not ashamed (even if you guys think we ought to be,) to actually not mind sleeping in a fully equipped with all home comforts cab…and in past times personally speaking actually ‘enjoy’ it.
I have had many a good weekend spent in Europe,.exploring places at my leisure,.such as battlefield sites etc…, while cabbing it…not to mention the odd ‘dens of eniquity’ :laughing:

Tbf I have taken the odd night in a hotel also, but as I said no qualms about cabbing it…but not in a sleeping bag after eating a dodgy pie and a can I’ve just bought, that you day men seem to think is a tramper’s life. :bulb:

I ain’t at the ''Mad cab happy stage ‘’ either, I only have 3 a n/o a week now usually.

More to this job than delivering bog rolls to Tesco if you enjoy it.

Macski:

So they have a better job than you.
Get over it.

dozy:
Why is your night out money not part of your wage ?

Can tell you worked for Stobarts. I guess when you try to con yourself that you’re not being screwed over because when you include the daily meal allowance and night out allowance it gives you a take home equivalent to a half decent hourly rate you start to believe it.

The way I saw night out money,was…you got £105 quid a week to feed and water yourself.
I can live like a king for £105 quid.

Conor:

dozy:

Can tell you worked for Stobarts. I guess when you try to con yourself that you’re not being screwed over because when you include the daily meal allowance and night out allowance it gives you a take home equivalent to a half decent hourly rate you start to believe it.

I have a mate who works for Stobarts who says…
‘‘The only time I ll consider it as part of my wage is when they pay me it when I have 4/5 nights at home,.and include it in my holiday pay…until then it’s expenses.’’.

Incidentally in better days I worked for a firm who guaranteed me 4 nights out a week.
I did a run for about 6 months between Teesport and Scotland and back home every night.
Sadly nothing lasts forever in this job. :unamused:

Conor:

dozy:

Don’t talk to me like I’m a ■■■■■■■ idiot , if you said that to my face you’d get ■■■■■■■ hit
I don’t work for stobarts ,they shipped me from newark when they shut it 3/4 yrs ago or what ever it was to Boston ( metsa ) which I left after 2 weeks 4 days as I didn’t want to be there , so I haven’t worked worked direct for them for 3/4 yrs ,
And as for being screwed over , makes you wonder how I managed to pay my mortgage off 20 yrs ago , ran 2 cars , 2 x 2 week hols abroad etc etc
Anyway the winds stopped blowing so it’s safe to come out the house , big tuff Conor who so ■■■■ scared of a bit of wind he books a ■■■■■■■ holiday !!

If I get the night put money every week, without fail including even on holiday and regardless of being away from home or not, I’ll include it in my wages.

If I don’t get paid it as part of my average holiday pay… its an allowance.

I worked for a co where the manager would send me out to collections the other side of where I lived and I was told,See you in the morning, Got paid 4 nights out and stayed at home every night. :smiley: