Night out advice please

Hi all
So I passed my C+E 3 weeks ago upto now I’ve just driven an urban trailer with a 4x2 Merc unit and on Wednesday I’ve been given a run from Newmarket to Morecombe with a night out pulling a 45 ft trailer with a Daf 6x2 unit this will be my first long run and night out any advice anyone can give me to prepare myself and what potentially to expect would be gratefully received
Thanks Andy

Quite simply, don’t run to the last minute. Set yourself a target when you’re planning on stopping and at least 45 minutes before that start looking for places. I imagine that you’ll run out of driving time before working time on that run so keep a close eye on it. Download a parking app or check out the parking section of this forum. Try to avoid overnighting in services or you’re experience will be a miserable one that could quite possibly turn you into one of the day men doom merchants on here. Above all enjoy it.

Andy1969:
Hi all
So I passed my C+E 3 weeks ago upto now I’ve just driven an urban trailer with a 4x2 Merc unit and on Wednesday I’ve been given a run from Newmarket to Morecombe with a night out pulling a 45 ft trailer with a Daf 6x2 unit this will be my first long run and night out any advice anyone can give me to prepare myself and what potentially to expect would be gratefully received
Thanks Andy

Hey Andy.
What exactly do you want to know?..most of it is common sense.
Is it just one night out or are you to be out the rest of the week.?
Take all the kit with you, put a search on here there are numerous threads on it,.what kit to take, kettles tea coffee decent duvet etc…as I say it’s common sense stuff.

Most important concerning kit…make sure your fridge has plenty food and drink for starters.
Don’t wait until last minute to find somewhere to park,.are you parking around Morecambe or what?..Carnforth truckstop is ok as a suggestion, decent food, clean, and good showers.

Otherwise have an idea where you are going to get to, and try and find somewhere decent to park in said area before you leave… ask other drivers or again ask on here.

Don’t park in some crap hole lay by by where you will maybe get your fuel/load nicked, Depending on value of load if you can not find a truckstop (a must if load is valuable btw, even if you have to stop well short before time up) look for a (well lit) ind est in vicinity, use Google or again ask another driver on an MSA say…obviously you can park on those if desperate and if your boss allows it.
(Just seen Maosters parking app suggestion …good shout)

Park up and get out of cab for excercise, maybe go for a quick drink and a decent meal,.don’t just be sat on tenterhooks (whatever they are :smiley: ) waiting for time to start again, try and enjoy, or at least make the best of your nights out.
That just about covers any basics I reckon, good luck with it, nothing wrong with nights out if you do it right, despite what many on here will lead you to believe.
Any probs pm me if you like.

There must be other mitigating factors with the run as I’m surprised that Newmarket to Morecambe and back is a night out run, ok it’s about 4hr+ each way, but depending on traffic even taking a 10 he could get back.
As it’s only 1 potential night out and maybe not in a specific allocated truck to keep oodles of gear, I’d suggest that he just throws a basic night out bag in the truck with just his bedding and pack a few extra sandwiches in his snap box. Then if he gets held up he can park up and find a Wetherspoons/Punch taven eatery for a hot meal and cold drinks. Then as he does more night out he can get a feel for what he needs to make it his own

Steering lock on the DAF is worse than the Merc 4x2 so don’t expect the unit to turn as quickly.

If it’s the newer one with four buttons on the ride height control you have up, down, level and power. Hold the power button in for a few seconds and it’ll turn green and then you can raise/lower the suspension for coupling up and reset the ride height. Holding in the power button for a few seconds when you’ve finished turns it off.

DAFs are notorious for “DAF Dashboard Bingo” so don’t get worried by yellow warning messages - things like “Engine Malfunction” and “Exhaust System Malfunction”, usually within 10 miles of setting off and one following the other, are pretty much par for the course on most of them so just crack on and defect when you get back.

If you need somewhere to park in Morecambe there’s a massive industrial estate just off the A683 called Middlegate White Lund Industrial Estate. On Northgate Road on that industrial estate opposite the Kia dealership is a most excellent sandwich shop that does hot and cold sandwiches, baked stuff and salads to take out.

Thanks for all the advice at the moment it’s only a one off possibly next week for another night as well so not going to get much kit just orders a kettle and going to take tea coffee etc as time goes by I’ll get more kit if it starts being regular. Been looking on google maps at BP services on M6 any suggestions on any to avoid particularly ones that are tight to park (for break not overnight) will probably try industrial estate mentioned previously

any reason why you’ve been looking atbp ones ?
Avoid knutsford. Keele and sandbach. There not much good for parking. Esp sandbach parking there is very limited and a joke.
Stafford is ok. Maybe idea stop at lymn services. Junction 20 20a is a truckstop lots of room. Has a Gregg’s mcdondands m&s etc
Not a bad place to stop plus have fuel pumps if needed
You should get there in your 4 half hours .
Maybe get further.

edd1974:
any reason why you’ve been looking atbp ones ?
Avoid knutsford. Keele and sandbach. There not much good for parking. Esp sandbach parking there is very limited and a joke.
Stafford is ok. Maybe idea stop at lymn services. Junction 20 20a is a truckstop lots of room. Has a Gregg’s mcdondands m&s etc
Not a bad place to stop plus have fuel pumps if needed
You should get there in your 4 half hours .
Maybe get further.

It’s where I can use fuel card

Andy1969:
It’s where I can use fuel card

I think you’ll find that you won’t be able to use the fuel card to pay for parking.