Night heater

Did my 1st night out this week and it was cold. I had the night on intermittently. I was worried about flat battery in the morning are they designed to run all night and not adversely effect the battery. It’s a 2007 man tga.

On our old Actros’ they cut out after 2 hours. On the new ones you can run them all night. I ran it all night every night this week at 20c and it’s totally fine.

red7jase:
Did my 1st night out this week and it was cold. I had the night on intermittently. I was worried about flat battery in the morning are they designed to run all night and not adversely effect the battery. It’s a 2007 man tga.

They are designed to do so afaik, however it depends how good or bad your batteries are.
I can’t have mine on all night, even with window open it dries all the air out and I wake up with a hangover strength headache.
I had mine on when it was really cold for first time this year on last Fri night, woke up and the batts were dead :unamused: …, got 2 new ones ordered.

As robroy rightly points out, if the batteries die with the night heater on its because they weren’t that clever to begin with. The first real cold snap of the year is usually good at killing borderline batteries and for many this week has been the first week of the year when its been really cold.

Hi think I will accidentally :laughing: leave it on when I get back to the yard tomorrow and see what happens on Tuesday. Rather be in the yard with a flat battery they some truck stop.

If your unsure, just sling some cheap jump leads in the side locker.

Do you have a timer on it? My Premium does so I set it to come on 20 minutes before I wake up. Run it on Max before you go to sleep so it gets the cab nice and warm, by the time you wake up it should be nice and toasty again.

Have any of you Actros drivers noticed how crap the night heater system is compared to other trucks.
It seems to take ages to warm up through the vents, or is it just mine.

robroy:
Have any of you Actros drivers noticed how crap the night heater system is compared to other trucks.
It seems to take ages to warm up through the vents, or is it just mine.

The night heater is one of the best points about the new Actros. I like the way it blows out from the normal heater vents and not a pipe behind the drivers seat like most other trucks. Mine doesn’t seem to take that long to heat up either. The Actros cab seems well insulated too as it seems to hold the heat in the cab for a while after switching the heater/night heater off.

My Actros night heater is fine.
Having it blow thru the vents instead of one pipe near the passenger seat is brilliant, just like my Volvo when I worked in Sweden.
I’m in at 05.30 in the morning, and the timer is set to come on at 04.45, so it will be nice and toasty for me when I get in.

I’ve got a webasto and it has low voltage shut down so a flat battery is never a issue seems strange that others don’t as mines about 2009 ish ?

red7jase:

I drive a M A N,hope its ok as I left the night heater on since Friday,forgot to turn it off,hoping someone else did

If it’s a choice between a flat battery or keeping warm go for the flat battery, the boss will have his heating on.

Cant speak for all of them but the ones I’ve had have a cut off at 21 volts, which should still be enough to start the truck engine unless it’s really arctic outside and you have molasses in the sump instead of oil :slight_smile:

my mate went away for the week on sunday in his daf…thought he had forgotten his can of anti p.thought no more about it…night heater on…parked up,and into beddybyes,the can has fallen down next to the outlet pipe for the night heater…wakes up as the can explodes thinking someones just shot him,and the cab is stinking like a tarts armpit with lynx or whatever he wears…lesson to be learned there…or a good excuse if your going home reeking of whatever bird you were with whilst away? :wink:

dieseldog999:
my mate went away for the week on sunday in his daf…thought he had forgotten his can of anti p.thought no more about it…night heater on…parked up,and into beddybyes,the can has fallen down next to the outlet pipe for the night heater…wakes up as the can explodes thinking someones just shot him,and the cab is stinking like a tarts armpit with lynx or whatever he wears…lesson to be learned there…or a good excuse if your going home reeking of whatever bird you were with whilst away? :wink:

Mate of mine did something similar once in his DAF. He had a friend along for the ride and they were parked in Aberdeen for the night, both fast asleep when they got a rude awakening when a can of deodorant that had somehow fallen down and landed in the right/wrong place got blasted by the heater vent and eventually exploded. I imagine they both practically crapped themselves.

As for the night heater in DAF’s in general, I had a 2005 DAF 95 spacecab and how my bedding never set on fire from the extreme heat blasting on to it when it would on occasion over hang and droop down on to the engine hump directly in front of the blowers I never know. At times the bedding would be too hot to touch.

Be careful with jump starting with cables, the last time I did that, the old analogue tacho machine got fried, expensive to repair it.
Some say when getting jump started, the receiving vehicle has the wipers and lights on to prevent a power surge when being charged.
I run the night heater all year to keep the moving parts going, run the air con all year to keep it working when you need it.
Some firms do not allow jump starting due to damage to the computer in the truck and other sensitive electronics.

dieseldog999:

:blush: m3 in a daf,m3,luckily the bag the lynx was in contained the exploision,quite freaked me at the time.

mac12:
If it’s a choice between a flat battery or keeping warm go for the flat battery, the boss will have his heating on.

+1

toby1234abc:
Be careful with jump starting with cables, the last time I did that, the old analogue tacho machine got fried, expensive to repair it.
Some say when getting jump started, the receiving vehicle has the wipers and lights on to prevent a power surge when being charged.

We jump our trucks with Anderson leads. Our workshop recommend putting everything on when you turn the key. We never seem to have any issues doing it this way.