Night Heater fault

Hi there everyone.Unfortunately,I only get to drive an ERF EC11 Celecta for Lynx and for a good couple of months now I have been on at them to fix the night heater,which they are reluctant to do.When you switch the ■■■■ thing on the green light comes on and after about 5 seconds,it starts flashing and the heater fails to ‘fire up’.The green light continues to flash whereas if it is working the light will stay on.I just wondered if anyone has any experience of this problem on the ERF and a clue as to what is wrong with it,how much it is likely to cost to fix etc.I know I am not required to take nights out,but it would be nice to have a kip in the warm from time to time! :wink: Thanks for any replies.Also do any of you use the truckstop just off of junction 13 of the M1.I just wondered what its like for grub etc.I keep meaning to try it but I’m always running late on my way to Milton Keynes.

Sorry, no idea whats wrong with your night-heater, or the likely cost of repairs. I have a feeling though, that if the night-heater doesn’t work, you are quite within your rights to refuse to take that wagon out, its against Health & Safety Rules. That might only be if you night-out in your wagon. :frowning:
Thinking on it a little further, 2 months is rather excessive and the weather is getting worse. You may get parked-up by the police, due to snow or other sevear(?) weather, for several hours. I would mention that H & S rules make it illegal to send out a wagon with a defective night heater, pointing out that you’ve put up with it for a couple of months now. If it aint fixed by tommorrow night you will refuse to take it.
You could also try pointing out that the 11litre night-heater uses an awful lot more fuel to run, in comparison to the erbspracher or whatever make it is thats fitted. :laughing:

I’ve never been to the t/s off j13, but I have heard that its pretty good.

Sorry that I can’t be of more help. You’ve left it a bit short notice for the people who really know the ins n outs of H & S rules etc. I’me also pretty sure that by tom’ night someone will be able to give you the definative answer

Cheers Simon for the reply.

Definitely, require them to get it fixed, and NOW. Or you won’t take it anywhere.

Remember last year and the M11 fiasco? Would you like to be stuck for 12 odd hours in the freezing cold without a night heater? I wouldn’t.

A few years ago when I was working on Newsflow(an Exel contract)one of our “quieter” drivers reported e defect to the office.The fan heater wasn’t working and it wouldn’t clear the screen.No problem,just give it a wipe now and then to keep it clear.But it was that time of year when it was getting a bit parky and we were working nights so off he goes.A couple of hours later he rang up to tell them he was sitting at the side of the road with live news on (a very perishable product)telling them he couldn’t see a thing as the screen was now completely frozen!A stitch in time…

Glenn, cant help you with the night heater problem, but the caff at J13 is excellent for food (hope youve a big appetite, as they give large portions
Regards
Trevor

I would be very surprised if the boss was legally bound to provide a night heater in any truck let alone one that isn’t actually used to sleep in overnight.

Regarding the flashes, there should be a quick succession of flashes and then a number of slower flashes, if you count the slower flashes that tells you ( assuming you have access to the operating manual ) what the fault is or is likely to be.

Glenn:
When you switch the ■■■■ thing on the green light comes on and after about 5 seconds,it starts flashing and the heater fails to ‘fire up’.The green light continues to flash whereas if it is working the light will stay on.

Sounds Like the Glow Plug, depends what make it is but I reckon the costs about £26 max for a new one if Eberspacher.

would be very surprised if the boss was legally bound to provide a night heater in any truck let alone one that isn’t actually used to sleep in overnight.

he/She isnt :angry:

there is no legislation requiring night heaters…

not surprising is it? anyone really think politicians are going to spend time legislating to provide basic comforts for us??

Is the blower working? If not then if you can get to the night heater you may be able to remove the fan cover and give it a spin. The fan sometimes gets stuck with dust when it is not used for long periods.
It is best to run a night heater every month for half an hour or so during the summer to prevent this and to ensure it will work when needed.

As far as I understood it, if it’s fitted, it has to work. It’s a GV9 defect if you’re stopped and it doesn’t work. If he’s not going to fix it, he has to have it removed.

On most night heaters there is a rest button. It is usually on the side or at the rear and has a rubber cover, it is very small and not many people realise what is is, feel around till you fing it then try pressing it in.

If that doesn’t work then all I can sugest is that you run the cab heater and see how mush your boss likes paying for all the extra deisil.

I think that your boss is obliged to reair the Night Heater. Health & Safety Regs require your employer to maintain a comfortable working environment. This means that the temperature cannot go below 10 degrees, or above 35 degrees (or similar temperatures) for any great length of time, without your employer making some provision to bring the temperature back to within these limits.
Now I know that these rules apply to an office, or factory, but I am sure that the wording is for ‘regular place of work’, whcih for us is a lorry.
Might be clutching at straws here, but it has to be worth a crack.

allikat:
As far as I understood it, if it’s fitted, it has to work. It’s a GV9 defect if you’re stopped and it doesn’t work. If he’s not going to fix it, he has to have it removed.

Yea right :unamused: :unamused: we are talking about a night heater , dont think the wheel tappers are going to make you stand a wagon up because of a night heater problem :unamused: :unamused:

Leehellcat I think you will find your boss laughs at you and tells you how many other people want your job if you tell him he has to keep the temperature between 10 and 15 degrees c or any other temperatures for that matter.

It is reasonable to expect a good night heater in your cab if you are sleeping in it but as long as the ordinary heater is working you aren’t going to get any boss fretting about a night heater in a truck that is only utilised as a daytime truck… to be honest if I was the boss I’d tell you to like it or lump it.

Willy, in that case I would let someone else have the job. As far as I am concerned if my boss didn’t take my complaints seriously then he isn’t work the air that he breaths, and certainly isn’t worth working for.

For the record…

Legal minimum working temperature in this country is 16 degrees Celcius.

This can be maintained by the fan-heater during the working day…once your card is pulled and you have booked off, you are no longer working and therefore no longer covered by this law.

However, you could argue that it is covered under “Duty of Care”…risk of hypothermia etc…although personally I’ve always found that mention of the words “Written Notice” and a reminder of what the nearest opposition are paying for the same job works far more effectively! :wink: