Night driving in london

have been asked to two or three drops in the smoke
not having don a lot of work down that end of the world it came as suprise to see lots of signs prohibiting entry to veh’s over 17.5 tonnes . saw that you can get permits but can’t find out were from can any body help.
also how rigidly enforced are this limits
many thanks

All transport companies in london belong to the london boroughs transport scheme and once registered you have to show a permit in the windscreen, so look up L.B.T.S.
The weight limits are enforced because of so many cameras thats around, and even if you have a permit, you still have to run a certain route, which is the North/South circular road, and the route thats nearest to your drops via these roads, you will be given a map as well of the L.B.T.S. routes. Dont forget the congestion charge as well between 0700 and 1830…sorry i cant be of more help…
PS…one of my old bosses was fined thousands of pounds because the drivers chose to ignore certain routes, and we were based in London, had a permit, and were working in central london…

You can buy a map from alg.gov.uk/doc.asp?doc=6530 although don’t hold your breath - mine took over a month to arrive.

I drove down Fulham palace road at 6.am in the morning…oops i did’nt know, i had just passed my class 2.

The company had to pay a fine of £500 reduced to £250 if payed whithin two weeks.

they asked me pay it.

I am no longer with that company!!

It really depends where you are delivering to.

i went to woolwich last night set of from Bradford so went over the dartford crossing and up the A2, then picked up the A205 which as a 18 ton weight limit.

they have cameras that will catch you, as that is what caught me out.

Where will you be delivering to?
mark

I used to do London every night until about 3 or 4 months ago. I now only do it once or twice a week. But I’m told I will be going back on the London routes very soon. :smiley:

The London lorry ban includes all roads in Greater London except the major trunk roads : eg North / South Circular

Unless you have an LBTS permit in the windscreen (pink/white tax disc sized thing).

And even then, you can only used pre-determined routes - ie, your company should give you written instructions about the roads you may use.

It runs from
Mon- Fri morning - 0000-0700 Evening - 2100-0000
Sat Morning - 0000-0700 Afternoon / Evening 1300-2400

Sunday - All day

The ban now only applies to LGVs which are plated over 18 tonnes.

If you go off the route, you must be able to justify why you did so. For example, road closure resulting in a diversion, upon the instruction of the police constable (get their name and number) etc.

There may be cameras that will get you - but also be aware there are enforcement officers riding about looking for you. One of our lads was ‘talking’ to one a few months back, and he was using a ‘pizza delivery style’ moped! :laughing:

i’ll be coming from the mids
1st drop into new covent garden
2 drop into either hackney / dalston or out to northolt and onto the air port
after looking on the maps ( truckers atlas ) i come down the M1 onto a406 , a41 , a5205 ( next to lords) , a5 edgeware rd , then down park lane through to victoria and onwards to vauxhall bridge
now that to me looks like the best route coz you cant come up the a5 from the m1 because theres a 7.5 tonne limit due to a weak bridge and coming from the m40 looks like a total nightmare
you and i both know that my route is the easiest / best but will the G.L.C think so.
do you have any idea what the correct route is . when i did agency for safeway out of tammworth they did give me about 60 sheets of A4 with their routes to each store but i binned it when i stopped going there

I would go.
M1
M25
M4
A4
A3220
A3212
A202
A203

also you will be able to take your break at heston before going into the smoke.

What you going in?

i went to woolwich last night set of from Bradford so went over the dartford crossing and up the A2, then picked up the A205 which as a 18 ton weight limit.

your best to go m11 onto the a12 then through the blackwall tunnel the around the back of sainsburys to reach woolwich. the bit that runs from the a2 /a205 to the ferry is the only bit of the south circular you cant drive at night :unamused:

would go.
M1
M25
M4
A4
A3220
A3212
A202
A203

also you will be able to take your break at heston before going into the smoke.

What you going in?

i would go m1 , a406 ,a205 ,a3,a203, a3205.

jon

Jonboy i can go A2,A205 as i am driving a 18 tonner.

scani pulling a reefer with 26 pallets of mouldy veg :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
(only if i forget to turn it back on after my 45 )

If your going during the night time ban i would go jonboys way.

brit_mark
had look a at that route on my copy of autolost and it looks good but i thought that past earls court was 18t or under
i’ll be in either a hired xf95/480 54 plate or a 420 scania 52 plate both of wich i could do without but my new unit wont be here till mid april
the reason i dont like the daf is that the curtains dont stop light and i’m on about street lights at night . i thought cheese cloth went out of fashion in the mid 70’s
the scani has only done about 200 thou k and the cab is f’ed wind noise round both doors and hatch on roof
i think it used to be on for one of the supermarket chains and it aint been looked after by the drivers

Wow…They really make it easy to do business don’t they :open_mouth: .How much does the permit cost?

The permit is free, but boy is it a nightmare to get one! They just don’t want us in the capital.

bunkslug:
brit_mark
had look a at that route on my copy of autolost and it looks good but i thought that past earls court was 18t or under
i’ll be in either a hired xf95/480 54 plate or a 420 scania 52 plate both of wich i could do without but my new unit wont be here till mid april
the reason i dont like the daf is that the curtains dont stop light and i’m on about street lights at night . i thought cheese cloth went out of fashion in the mid 70’s
the scani has only done about 200 thou k and the cab is f’ed wind noise round both doors and hatch on roof
i think it used to be on for one of the supermarket chains and it aint been looked after by the drivers

okay c u on mals site i can swear on there

We do alot of pre 0700 work in London and it the past we have had two of our lads hit with the £250 fine, with the company arguing the toss over who pays, personally if you are doing regular work in London before 0700, my view is can I have a route please. But like someone says it is round the circular to your nearest direct route which is the way I have been working a touch wood no probs yet. Just one queston at the bottom of the A41 at the Lords cricket ground I turn left and go along to the Edgware Rd and do a left down to Vauxall, can you carry on straight at Lords to Baker street and turn right along to Marleborne fly-over and turn left:wink: