Night driving glasses

I find that when driving at night the glare from oncoming headlights is very uncomfortable and after about an hour I get a thumping headache. In one of the many supplements that come with my Sunday paper are some over glasses (I wear prescription specs) which claim to reduce the glare. They look like a regular pair sunglasses with a yellow lens, for not a great deal of money, and wonder has anyone used this type of driving glasses at night and if so how effective are they?

Just to add the problem is worse when there are no street lights lit.

I feel your pain I wear glasses and even pay to have the anti glare coating, does that make a difference not really especially when the motor coming towards you has its go faster fog lights on. I doubt there’s much that can be done about it though tbh. Cheap after market things are generally just a gimmick try though I’d be interested to know.

I suffer a similar problem, though I dont need prescription glasses for driving. My Brother in Law (who DOES need specs for driving) brought some advertised in the Daily Star for £12.99 and says that they work fine, he gave me the advert but I haven’t sent for them yet. I guess they could be the same ones?

Pete.

Specsavers and the like have a special tint available, called, funnily enough ‘driving tint’.

This is a light bronze/yellow tint.

It’s designed to cut through the haze, enhance red/green definition and reduce glare at night.

I’ve been using prescription glasses with this tint for several years now and can attest to it’s usefulness.

The only snag to wearing them at night, is that you think you’re back in France, with all the yellow headlights coming towards you. :slight_smile:

Yep they work used them in the late 70’s think they were called night drivers then. You’ll see them in some of the 70’s 80’s films I think Reed wore them in smokie and the bandit too

Wiretwister:
I find that when driving at night the glare from oncoming headlights is very uncomfortable and after about an hour I get a thumping headache. In one of the many supplements that come with my Sunday paper are some over glasses (I wear prescription specs) which claim to reduce the glare. They look like a regular pair sunglasses with a yellow lens, for not a great deal of money, and wonder has anyone used this type of driving glasses at night and if so how effective are they?

When’s your next medical due? This question will come up.

I find driving a truck at night time much less tiring than cars, as in a car you are sat down with your ■■■ on the road looking directly at headlight level.

Wiretwister:

I use these with no problems and do find they help
ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-NEW-Nig … 417234113e

I don’t know about the glasses you mention, but if they’re cheap why not give 'em a try? I wear prescription glasses with reactolite, and the ‘night driving anti glare coating’ which I find helps things along nicely, leaving me not feeling quite so bloody knackered.

Driveroneuk:
When’s your next medical due? This question will come up.

I find driving a truck at night time much less tiring than cars, as in a car you are sat down with your ■■■ on the road looking directly at headlight level.

Last medical was October just gone, doctor didn’t have any concerns about by corrected vision. My lens prescription was updated last January. No discernible difference between my car and truck, that said I’m usually going home after work when in the car at night.

My optician explained this to me if I remember its something like; the yellow removes shades of colour so if a man was wearing say grey and stood at the side of the road you wouldn’t see him unless he moved. I stopped wearing them after that and just got my eyes checked more often :slight_smile:

Decide to give these a go.

clip-on-sunglasses.co.uk/Pre … ip-on.html

Bit more than the basic option but are supposed to be a better quality optic. Will let you know once I’ve had a chance to try them.

Similar response to 10-08’s from my optician. i was told that anything that filters out any light can only be detrimental.
I did try them years ago , working nights when I didn’t need prescription lenses and found that they did appear to sharpen things but decided it was only because they made things look different and once your brain had adapted to this they didn’t make any improvement.
Same issue as having a red light in the cab at night supposedly making it easier, all I ever found was that it made it easier to find my flask and pour my coffee. :slight_smile:

I think that car manufactures keep increasing the brightness of headlamps in the interest of road safety. I actually believe that it has a detrimental effect on road safety. The worst one I’ve seen recently was a brand new Rolls-Royce. As it over-took me on the motorway the glare in the mirrors was very dangerous.

Agree JH, some headlights are now very bright. Those with blueish light the worst.

… and don’t get me going about front indicators hidden in the headlamp housing instead of well away from the h/lamp like they used to be.

We never had this problem when everybody had six-volt lighting.

Pass that candle. :unamused:

I used to have some glasses about 15 years ago called amberlights iirc. They were yellow tinted lens’ and worked wonders for night driving.

I have one from Specsavers for night time driving and yes they help!