Night drivers, are you having sat nav problems?

First noticed it on Sunday when the in built sat nav in my car told me several motorways were shut when they weren’t. I stopped in a lay by off the motorway when an old couple also stopped and told me they’d gotten lost. Their sat nav was sending them round in circles.

Monday night and I had several drivers ask me if certain roads were closed because their sat navs were telling them they were. Google maps said they weren’t.

But too much of a coincidence. Anyone else having the same experience.

So, your system has non-existant road closures?
Sounds like an error by the provider or they’re getting bad info from Highways which they are putting into the system?
Maybe scheluded closures have been postponed/cancelled?

It’s a plan. Because we’re huffing about Huawei and their 5G those Chinese have hacked the software of satnavs to make us drive round and round like some form of drill to the point where eventually we’ll drop through the earths core providing a tunnel to the southern hemisphere. The Chinese will them just simply jump through and invade, emerging somewhere near J23 of the M25.

Puts tinfoil hat back on

On a serious note some times technology does play up.

For some time now the previously superb ‘digi traffic’ on Garmins has been getting less and less accurate up to date or reliable, when i first compared it to google maps traffic around 5 years ago they were near enough side by side for major road problems, but now? whilst it still has its place it’s a shadow of what it was before.

I suspect there is something new coming out, i won’t be buying, google maps traffic is proving the best kid on the block for my purposes (only want traffic info, directions not needed), however there must be a market for another system because so many drivers of all types of vehicle seem to be completely lost these days if the satnav isn’t directing them continually.

Ironically the eastbound A14 thru the roadworks (Huntingdon - Cambridge) isn’t recognised as a truck route on my tomtom truck pratnav and tries to send me down the A1198 from Huntingdon to Royston. But bizarrely it recognises the westbound side through the roadworks as a truck route :unamused:

OMG. What are all the modern snowflake drivers going to do when the sat-navs stop working…

Here’s a plan, get the maps out from under the bunk, back to old skool rules, A-Z in one hand, driving along…

Are bog standard car ones affected by all this, mine aint got road closures or anything truck related, so I’m assuming it’ll be ok.

Athough it was affected by the change to the GPS format a few weeks ago.

(So bad in fact that I had to have a couple of weeks on the sick with stress :open_mouth: , and even considered changing careers. :neutral_face: )

biggriffin:
OMG. What are all the modern snowflake drivers going to do when the sat-navs stop working…

Here’s a plan, get the maps out from under the bunk, back to old skool rules, A-Z in one hand, driving along…

If only someone would trim the bushes/trees covering half the road signs and repaint the markings on roads and roundabouts :bulb:

The people who put information up on the overhead gantries don’t seem to know what’s open and closed either half the time. The amount of times I’ve arrived at a load of cones across the lanes followed by the road closed sign and there was no warning and it’s like yeah thanks for that, if I’d have known in advance I would have a) not had to have sat in the traffic and b) would possibly found a better diversion for my route.

Then other times it’s been up road closed here. Diverted adding half an hour to my journey. Asked another driver which way he went to be met with a confused look as to why did you divert as he just carried on and it was actually all open.

No one seems to know half the time. And google sometimes doesn’t show them all either.

Franglais:
So, your system has non-existant road closures?
Sounds like an error by the provider or they’re getting bad info from Highways which they are putting into the system?
Maybe scheluded closures have been postponed/cancelled?

Personally I think it’s bad info from source. I’ve no idea who manufactured my car sat nav (audi?) But my truck garmin and a colleagues truck tom tom both showed false road closures too. The only thing they all have in common is their information source.

peirre:
Ironically the eastbound A14 thru the roadworks (Huntingdon - Cambridge) isn’t recognised as a truck route on my tomtom truck pratnav and tries to send me down the A1198 from Huntingdon to Royston. But bizarrely it recognises the westbound side through the roadworks as a truck route :unamused:

That was showing as closed last night but was actually open. Mind you the other night it was showing as open but was actually closed!!! I treat that road as a lucky dip. Only another two years to go.

biggriffin:

The whole point of the sat nav is to aid the driver. If you can get advanced warning of road closures, accidents, etc then you can adjust your route. Saves sitting in a traffic jam or following 30 other attics along country roads (just avoided a trimming bushes reference there) that cant handle them.

Nite Owl:

peirre:

That was showing as closed last night but was actually open. Mind you the other night it was showing as open but was actually closed!!! I treat that road as a lucky dip. Only another two years to go.

Secduled to be open December 2020, then be closed every night afterwards to finish it, like the m6 16-19.

Nite Owl:
First noticed it on Sunday when the in built sat nav in my car told me several motorways were shut when they weren’t.
But too much of a coincidence. Anyone else having the same experience.

Congratulations, welcome to the world of the night trunker where its a gamble as to whether one that is supposed to be closed is open and one that’s supposed to be open is closed.

In regards to the Satnavs its because they’re relying on info from Highways Agency and it is quite common for HA to say its closed whereas the feet on the ground have either not closed it yet or decided that the weather conditions prevent them from doing the job, an example being a full closure for an overhead gantry to be fitted only for the wind to get up to speeds the crane operator says no to.

And it happens to Google. More than one occasion I’ve driven up the M6 from J2-J4 when Google Maps is telling me its shut.

Without Satnav I’ve avoided where its signposted its supposed to be closed on a certain night only to meet up with other drivers who said it was still open. I’ve also found them closed where they’re supposed to be open too.

I’m used to the satnavs NOT knowing which roads (in particular, motorway slip roads) are shut.

Roads get reported as “Restricted” when you’ve got a delivery there - say, down a street marked “7.5t except for loading”. Well, I’m bloody well loading there in that street - so I’m exempt, aren’t I?
You drive down some country B-road, and 10 miles down there, you come up with a low bridge warning, that you’ll not be able to get under. Shame it didn’t tell you at the roundabout 10 miles back huh?
LBTS - not told you on the Satnav. If you don’t know the LBTS yourself - then you’re better off following the road signs, and switching the useless Satnav OFF.

I get routinely told to drive down roads like THESE ones in the middle of the night IF I were to follow my satnav rather than common sense!

All clearly marked 18/16.5t at night…

Oh dear, Is this the technology that is going to aid the advancement of the autonomous age.
What could ever go wrong ■■ :laughing:

Rowley010:
The people who put information up on the overhead gantries don’t seem to know what’s open and closed either half the time. The amount of times I’ve arrived at a load of cones across the lanes followed by the road closed sign and there was no warning and it’s like yeah thanks for that, if I’d have known in advance I would have a) not had to have sat in the traffic and b) would possibly found a better diversion for my route.

Then other times it’s been up road closed here. Diverted adding half an hour to my journey. Asked another driver which way he went to be met with a confused look as to why did you divert as he just carried on and it was actually all open.

No one seems to know half the time.

Do what I do to help fellow motorists.

If you come across something on a sign that doesnt ring true, then ring the Highways Agency and tell them. You would be surprised how easy they are to deal with. If you tell them that XYZ gantry is saying something and it’s not, then ask them to check for themselves on the camera, and remove the warning.

I have done it dozens of times.

Ken.

I get the impression Highways England at least are provided with road closures and roadworks in advance which get published out, but contractors seem to be a law to themselves.

Diversions that just fizzle out or don’t exist or run into more road closures as thats a different team. Or like A38 Derby shut from 22nd…someone forgot to cone it off it seems!

Ignoring the sat nav sometimes gets me into problems like A500 closure that added on 1 1/2 hours to a trunk vs 20 mins sat navs suggestion. And getting it telling me “I told you so”. :wink:

Quinny:
If you come across something on a sign that doesnt ring true, then ring the Highways Agency and tell them. You would be surprised how easy they are to deal with. If you tell them that XYZ gantry is saying something and it’s not, then ask them to check for themselves on the camera, and remove the warning.

I have done it dozens of times.

Ken.

You mean, like “Reports of…” which 99 times out of 100 are false and made by other “concerned motorists”? I doubt once the highways have taken someone’s word for it they’ll cancel the warning on someone else’s. They’ll still send someone to “investigate” I suppose. Meanwhile, enjoy your 40mph limit and keep your eyes open for those aliens, ahm…pedestrians on the road :laughing:

toonsy:
It’s a plan. Because we’re huffing about Huawei and their 5G those Chinese have hacked the software of satnavs to make us drive round and round like some form of drill to the point where eventually we’ll drop through the earths core providing a tunnel to the southern hemisphere. The Chinese will them just simply jump through and invade, emerging somewhere near J23 of the M25.

Puts tinfoil hat back on

On a serious note some times technology does play up.

China isn’t in the Southern hemisphere…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk