Nice one pal.

1pm today, out for a wee run on the motorbike, I’m cruising along between Lix Toll and Crainlarich, sitting behind a white artic flatbed, has ‘Timber carrier’ on the back of the cab, I ease out to check passing chances, he gives me two flashes on his offside indicator, I pull back in, a 4 X 4 comes the other way, then our knight of the road gives me two flashes on the left side, off I go, safe as houses.
Nice one mate :laughing:

thats the way to do it

thats the way to do it

I indicate left when it’s clear for those behind to overtake and then sit back and watch the confusion of the car driver 3 inches of my back end.

Sometimes I just despair…Sorry, Usually I just despair :laughing:

I did this recently as well but as soon as i’d indicated left, a car appeared.
(looked as if it was doing 80 )
I indicated right but too late for the overtaker to see it.

Sometimes the consequences of the helpfulness
make you rather not bother. :open_mouth:

Yeah I don’t do it for that exact reason, most of the tailgaters that are clinging to your bumper ready to overtake are so braindead they will end up ■■■■■■■ about if you signal them to overtake and in that time anything could come the other way, so let them sort it out themselves. Only if it’s straight and clear for a good long distance (long enough for a moron to pull out and overtake) will i flash them past.

206doorman:
I did this recently as well but as soon as i’d indicated left, a car appeared.
(looked as if it was doing 80 )
I indicated right but too late for the overtaker to see it.

Sometimes the consequences of the helpfulness
make you rather not bother. :open_mouth:

i know what you mean, i only do it at night when i can see for a good half mile

Gordy:
1pm today, out for a wee run on the motorbike, I’m cruising along between Lix Toll and Crainlarich, sitting behind a white artic flatbed, has ‘Timber carrier’ on the back of the cab, I ease out to check passing chances, he gives me two flashes on his offside indicator, I pull back in, a 4 X 4 comes the other way, then our knight of the road gives me two flashes on the left side, off I go, safe as houses.

And did you give him the ‘thank you boot’ as all the moto riders do here, Gordy?

I used to do it, indicate to the left to show motorists it was clear to over take.

But no longer think its too dangerous, because gets car drivers in the frame of mind that a truck indicating left means the road is clear and its safe for them to overtake.

I have it driving along a single carriageway road indicating to turn left into a small road and some clown has decided this means its save to overtake when it wasnt.

I’ll leave my indicators for use when turning left or pulling into stop, saves confusion on the part of other drivers.

Agree with Kenny. I occasionally do it for a van, especially if it’s a postie or similar because they tend to know the score. Never for car drivers because it only confuses them.

I get enough problems when I have to swing out wide to get the truck into a narrow farm entrance; it would not be the first time I’ve had a car try to nip up the inside DESPITE my left indicator having been on for a while! :angry:

I always think twice about taking respobsibility for another road user.
I will warn them of danger but rarely do I give them the go ahead to overtake or pull out.

I was going to a place called Worlingworth on Wednesday. Lots of narrow lanes with passing places just about big enough for a push cycle :open_mouth:. There had been one car behind me for ages, being patient and staying a reasonable distance behind me. So when I came to a nice straight, clear bit of road, I flashed the left indicator and slowed to help him get round quicker. My reward? several blasts of the horn and a hand gesture that might have been more appropriate to a male. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: Why?

Kenny1975:
I used to do it, indicate to the left to show motorists it was clear to over take.

But no longer think its too dangerous, because gets car drivers in the frame of mind that a truck indicating left means the road is clear and its safe for them to overtake.

I have it driving along a single carriageway road indicating to turn left into a small road and some clown has decided this means its save to overtake when it wasnt.

I’ll leave my indicators for use when turning left or pulling into stop, saves confusion on the part of other drivers.

I will not flash left anymore either, too dangerous. I will indicate right to advise not to overtake.
If the road allows, to let the following vehicle behind have a better view, I will ease over to the left, but when I can see it’s not safe, I will indicate right and ease back out again.

I can see where Gordy is coming from but I dont do it anymore for the reasons already explained.

Being a biker, a car driver and a trucker I can see all scenarios.

1. The trucker indicates left to show the way is clear, the bike accelerates just as the farm tractor turns out of a field towards him.

2. The car driver i am following indicates left to allow me to pass but Im happy where I am.

3. The trucker doesnt indicate, but pulls over into the gutter to give me more room. This doesnt help either as he is just throwing up debris from the verge.

Mothertrucker:
I always think twice about taking respobsibility for another road user.
I will warn them of danger but rarely do I give them the go ahead to overtake or pull out.

Agree with you.
To do it, you have to be 100% sure of safety with ALL the factors (EVERY ‘WHAT IF?’ ) taken into consideration.

Spardo:

Gordy:

And did you give him the ‘thank you boot’ as all the moto riders do here, Gordy?

I’ve tried that thank you boot business but usually get into a serious wobble :confused: Mind you I’ve had a pillion on, maybe I should practice solo first.
So I stick with the big wave :smiley:

I figured this driver knew a bike would get passed quicker than a car, hence his signals.
I’m not sure I’d do it for a car, you might get some numpty trying to pass in top gear :frowning:

i dont do it ,because i dont fancy dropping myself in it, if i dont see one coming. i do pull over to the left as far as i can tho, to let em go if THEY can see its clear.i ride a bike too, so i,m aware how dangerous it can be.