Next steps - any suggestions...?

Howdy folks!

As the ink on my new LGV C licence finishes drying and the Digicard application form gets sent off I wonder if any of you more experienced newbies (and the old stagers that frequent these pages) might have thoughts on what should be next on the list. Unless I luck out and get into a company straight away I reckon it’s agency work that I’m going to be looking for. With this in mind I’m wondering what would be best to improve my chances of getting agency shifts.

The bottom line is simply to get work. For me it will be in whatever form it takes as long as it’s driving. I’m also going to whittle away at periodic CPC - I have until 2014 to do the 35 hours but I might as well get it going now.

I can think of the following options:

1. get straight into C+E training to get that licence - I plan to do this at some point but it’s a matter of timing and ££; should I take the plunge now or get some other tickets first…

2. …like HIAB, Moffet and/or ADR - might these make me more employable in the short term?

3. actually I can’t think of any other options at the minute but what others might there be?

I’d welcome any of your experiences of what you’ve done (or wish you had done differently) to get a toe in the door of steady work.

Cheers,

Laz

Get the CE as the clock will then start ticking for the ‘experience’ that many want
It will also mean you are available for CE driving when someone is desperate

Hey Laz
Like i said in the other thread im like you 50s+ and only had my C just over a month my first step was before I did my C i started signing with agents in lancashire signed with 4 all together for 7.5 ton work to start with had no currant work refs as was self employed for yrs (entertainer) then became main carer for my father in law 5 yrs ago .
when I phoned the agents I was just totaly honest with them that I did have reffs but nothing relavent to transport only one ref from a coach firm i used to work part time for and they where ok with that also told them that i was training to get my C then CE back to back they said thats great as by the time i get it they will know me and and what im like as an employee that goes a long way . :slight_smile:
as soon as i passed my C i took my licence in for tham to make copies of and within a week 1 agent phoned me with a cat C job that got my foot in the door :open_mouth: last week i saw a job driving a tipper it was 40 mile away from home and said that the employer stated EXPEARIANCE tipper driver only .
but again just on spec I phoned the number and again was totaly honest with them thinking they would say no sorry but Hey the Boss said its more inportant that you are hard working and I got that all inportant interview So on friday i drove up to Carnforth Truck haven to meet the boss and I start training Tonight .
Then an induction for the quarry Then a course to get my eppic card then if all goes well full time work …

so my advice mate is get regestered with as many agents as you can local and dont stop there i was on the net every night using job searches like-- Jobrapido --Reeds–Job Centre plus ect ect and it seems to have has paid off . the good point about being 50+ is that eployers know we are settled in our ways and also the Insurance although some companies want two yrs expearience some agents have their own insurence to cover any misshaps … :laughing:

best of luck mate

hi there

+1 with all advice in above post, just a little heads up though dont get disheartened with any of the knockbacks unless ur really lucky you will have plenty just keep plugging away and if you see a transport firm go in and have a chat with them put yourself about if they say no sorry nothing for you leave your details u never know you might be in the right place at the right time and thats it your away, if you see a driver have a chat with him he may know of vacancies in his place , good luck with finding something and look forward to a diary of your first day soon :wink:
all the best

Jen x

Hi Yambol. I’d clocked your start into tippers in your other posts for which a hearty congrats is in order :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: Are you getting your EPIC card? I wouldn’t mind doing some tipper work as I used to work MANY years ago with my Grandfather who drove a dump truck. He always used to say ‘I helped build that place’ whenever we drove by the sites he worked at hauling in ■■■■■■■■, removing top soil or doing muckaway work. Happy memories… :grimacing:

I reckon your advice is spot on for me and everyone else here - being honest and up front is a good policy. You can’t just magic up 20 years experience on HGVs but you can say hand on heart that you have 30+ years experience as an employee and have probably managed to keep a driving licence relatively clean for a similar amount of time.

I appreciate your input Yambol!! Keep us in touch with how the tipper driving is going. BTW I saw in a recent trucking magazine an article about a 23 yr old lass who swapped her tutu for a tipper and hasn’t looked back. I think she’s in Lancs also so I guess you’ve now joined the sisterhood!!! :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Toodle pip,

Laz

Thanks Lazo
Just had a text saying no night work tonight now :angry: but deffo tomos and my induction date 16th sept so I not to disheartened at the moment . but had just told Agent not to take any work for me :frowning: This week ) but he was ok about it and said if things dont work out to ring him he will keep my details on their system anyway …said most drivers just leave and dont tell them lucky i didnt phone all the agents but i dont plan to yet either untill i start the job … :laughing:

Hi Jen!

Speaking of the sisterhood too!! :laughing: Again I appreciate the advice and support. Thanks :exclamation:

Adding persistence to honesty sounds about right as a way of getting into it. As I manage to disentangle myself from my current job over the next few weeks I’ll be able to be more available for work but have been putting some feelers out already. Checked with one agency so far and with a local firm (who’s making some staff redundant :frowning: :frowning: at the mo’ so not looking for drivers…). I’ve also put together a CV aimed at transport companies which I’ll take with me to leave with the Transport Managers or whoever when I do the rounds of companies. Will keep plugging away!!

Keep well,

Laz

YAMBOL57:
Thanks Lazo
Just had a text saying no night work tonight now :angry: but deffo tomos and my induction date 16th sept so I not to disheartened at the moment . but had just told Agent not to take any work for me :frowning: This week ) but he was ok about it and said if things dont work out to ring him he will keep my details on their system anyway …said most drivers just leave and dont tell them lucky i didnt phone all the agents but i dont plan to yet either untill i start the job … :laughing:

Good point. Ya don’t want to burn any bridges behind you (to be fair I guess I’m still building some bridges in front of me :grimacing:) but if you’ve developed a good working relationship with them I imagine they’ll cut you a little slack as you prepare for something a little more steady.

Cheers,

Laz