next step

Hi forum.

A couple of questions if I may?

1. I have no experience driving HGV. I would like to get into class 1 driving (so I can maximise my income). I know I dont need to pass my class 2 test before taking my class 1, but I am aware some employers frown on it. Is this true? Do people think I should take my class 2 test first?

2. I have now passed my medical, multiple choice test and hazzard perception. I also have my tacho card in the post. What do I need to do next in terms of getting a job as a class 1 driver?

1. No. Waste of time if it’s class 1 you want to do
  2. CPC. That’s mod 2 and 4 unless you passed your car test pre '97 so you have C1 entitlement? (Then it’s 35 hrs).
    Pass your driving test [emoji23]

stu675:

2. CPC. That’s mod 2 and 4 unless you passed your car test pre '97 so you have C1 entitlement? (Then it’s 35 hrs).
  1. Ok thanks. So it is untrue that employers prefer new recruits to have class 1 and 2?

2. Yes I have c1 entitlement. What is 35 hours? Can I apply for jobs before I have done the 35 hours (whatever it is)!

Once I have passed class 1 practical test, am I then able to apply for jobs?

noobilad:

stu675:

1. Ok thanks. So it is untrue that employers prefer new recruits to have class 1 and 2?

If you have class 1 you have class 2 as well.

1. Yes I have c1 entitlement. What is 35 hours? Can I apply for jobs before I have done the 35 hours (whatever it is)!

If you have c1 then you were classed as an existing lorry driver in 2009, which means you were treated as being CPC qualified until 2014. Effectively you can do five 7 hour modules to get a CPC card because of when you originally passed your car test.

Once I have passed class 1 practical test, am I then able to apply for jobs?

If you have a CPC card then yes. There isn’t a reason why you wouldn’t be able to be CPC qualified as it would appear you could book modules any time you want.

As a pre 97 C1 holder you do the 35 hours CPC now either online or in a classroom
You can get a digicard now

Have you checked out all the info contained within the link in my signature below :question:

Ok thanks for the replies.

SO my next question is where can I get the cheapest 35 hour online CPC which includes uploading the information to the DVLA? Any recommendations?

noobilad:
I would like to get into class 1 driving (so I can maximise my income).

Some rigid drivers earn more than some artic drivers.
There are pay differences more due to the type of work, rather than just the type of licence held.

Look around your own area, or further afield if necessary to see what type of work best suits you, rather than looking solely at the cash.
Dont ignore the money being paid, of course not, but consider youll be better in the long run doing summat youre happy with. Some want a week away on distance work, some want every night home. Some want physical work, some dont, muddy lanes or motorways all have their points.

noobilad:
Ok thanks for the replies.

SO my next question is where can I get the cheapest 35 hour online CPC which includes uploading the information to the DVLA? Any recommendations?

I have used Atlas LGV training for mine so far (done 4x sessions, so 28 hrs out of the 35 done). All done online with Zoom and the sessions are £42 (full day) or £46 (evenings and weekends).

atlaslgvtraining.co.uk/full … c-courses/

Certificates get emailed out quickly and your CPC records updated usually within a day.

PM

noobilad:

May as well start using the right terminology before you go any further: DVSA deal with DCPC and the driving exams/tests, not DVLA. DVLA deal with the licences. And in the same vein, proper terminology is C+E not Class 1, though only the training companies, and the bigger employers, really use that.

If you’ve got your C1 you should focus on your DCPC and getting some C1 work as you couldn’t have driven commercially anytime since 2009 otherwise you’d be acquainted with DCPC already.

There are waiting lists to get on training courses, mostly due to a shortage of test slots, which due to impending strike action by some examiners, is going to get worse. I don’t know anyone who has spare slots until well after the new year.

Don’t use a broker, find a “driving school”, people who have their own vehicles, who you can go and talk to before parting with any money.
They will want to give an assessment for a car-to-artic candidate, take you out in a C first and see how you get on, before stepping it up to a bigger rig.

As for employers, there’s no point sugar coating it, most employers want drivers with experience - obvious Catch 22 there, and they want people who are justifiably confident in a bigger vehicle.

Some years ago when I was working Class 2 (C) on agency, I passed my Class 1 (C+E). My agency said “Congratulations! But we can’t get you any Class 1 work until you’ve had your licence for 2 years”, so my more-than-a-decade of Class 2 experience was worth diddly squat to them.

If you’ve got the impetus to do it, then do it, don’t be overly put off by the harsh realities of making it a “career” (ie comments such as I’ve made here), but bear in mind that nearly all the TMs I speak to are very scathing about newbie car-to-artic drivers, many won’t even give a sniff of work, having had too many bad experiences.
Best of luck