Next part of M62 managed motorways starts live test

Published date: 5 July 2013
Type: Press release
Region: Yorkshire and the Humber
HIGHWAYS AGENCY News Release issued 5 July 2013

Road users in West Yorkshire are advised that the Highways Agency is planning to test the newly-installed managed motorway system on the M62 between junctions 26 (Chain Bar) and 27 (Gildersome) this Sunday (7 July).

The systems are due to be tested on the eastbound and westbound carriageways on Sunday between 8am and 10am, subject to the completion of minor works on Friday and Saturday. Should the trials go ahead, traffic officers in the Highways Agency regional control centre at Wakefield will open up the hard shoulder to traffic by setting the overhead signs to tell drivers they can use the hard shoulder as an extra lane. Variable mandatory speed limits, indicated by a red ring, will also be displayed to help improve traffic flow and reduce congestion.

As part of the test, traffic officers may also set the signs to indicate lane closures across any of the four lanes — this will be by way of a red X.

Road users are advised to follow the overhead signs, and are reminded that when the hard shoulder is not indicated as a running lane it should be used for emergency purposes only, as per motorway regulations.

This will be the second section of the new managed motorway to be brought into operation, following successful testing and opening of the first section, between junctions 27 and 28, in May.

Once the testing this Sunday is complete, the hard shoulder will be closed to traffic and will only be available for use in the event of an emergency, as per motorway regulations. Further testing will be carried out over the coming weeks before this section becomes fully operational as a managed motorway later in July.

In addition, the temporary 50mph speed limit between junctions 26 and 28 (some seven miles) was lifted this morning (Friday 5 July). This means that variable speed limits of up to 60mph, indicated by the electronic signs on overhead gantries, will be used when the managed motorway is in operation. When the managed motorway is not in use, national speed limit will apply between these junctions and the electronic signs will not be illuminated.

Drivers are reminded that the 50mph speed limit between junctions 25 and 26, and between junctions 28 and 30, remains in place while work on these sections continues: this is for the safety of road users and road workers.

The M62 managed motorway between junctions 25 (Brighouse) and 30 (Rothwell) is due to be completed in full later this year. For further information visit the project page at www​.highways​.gov​.uk/​r​o​a​d​s​/​r​o​a​d​-​p​r​o​j​e​c​t​s​/​m​6​2​-​j​u​n​c​t​i​o​n​s​-​2​5​-​t​o​-​3​0​-​m​a​n​a​g​e​d​-​m​o​t​o​r​w​ay/ or call the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000. More details about the phased opening of the scheme can be found at www​.highways​.gov​.uk/​p​u​b​l​i​c​a​t​i​o​n​s​/​m​6​2​-​j​u​n​c​t​i​o​n​s​-​2​5​-​t​o​-​3​0​-​m​a​n​a​g​e​d​-​m​o​t​o​r​w​a​y​-​p​l​a​n​-​o​f​-​t​h​e​-​o​p​e​n​i​n​g​-​p​h​a​s​e​s​-​a​n​d​-​d​a​t​es/

Let the chaos begin and my own private lane open just when i need it :laughing:

Was on it this morning signs saying 70mph drivers still doing 35

This is all bs, finish up, stop dicking about & let people crack on with their journeys, no doubt car drivers are going to ■■■■ it all up…!

mac12:
Was on it this morning signs saying 70mph drivers still doing 35

Yep i see that as well… If these people want to ■■■■ about driving slow why dont they move over to the left lane where they should be ffs.

thing is will the car drivers understand what the X means ■■?

holliefabbabe:
thing is will the car drivers understand what the X means ■■?

Is that a factor !!! :smiley:

The real Biffo:
Published date: 5 July 2013
Type: Press release
Region: Yorkshire and the Humber
HIGHWAYS AGENCY News Release issued 5 July 2013

Road users in West Yorkshire are advised that the Highways Agency is planning to test the newly-installed managed motorway system on the M62 between junctions 26 (Chain Bar) and 27 (Gildersome) this Sunday (7 July).

The systems are due to be tested on the eastbound and westbound carriageways on Sunday between 8am and 10am, subject to the completion of minor works on Friday and Saturday. Should the trials go ahead, traffic officers in the Highways Agency regional control centre at Wakefield will open up the hard shoulder to traffic by setting the overhead signs to tell drivers they can use the hard shoulder as an extra lane. Variable mandatory speed limits, indicated by a red ring, will also be displayed to help improve traffic flow and reduce congestion.

As part of the test, traffic officers may also set the signs to indicate lane closures across any of the four lanes — this will be by way of a red X.

Road users are advised to follow the overhead signs, and are reminded that when the hard shoulder is not indicated as a running lane it should be used for emergency purposes only, as per motorway regulations.

This will be the second section of the new managed motorway to be brought into operation, following successful testing and opening of the first section, between junctions 27 and 28, in May.

Once the testing this Sunday is complete, the hard shoulder will be closed to traffic and will only be available for use in the event of an emergency, as per motorway regulations. Further testing will be carried out over the coming weeks before this section becomes fully operational as a managed motorway later in July.

In addition, the temporary 50mph speed limit between junctions 26 and 28 (some seven miles) was lifted this morning (Friday 5 July). This means that variable speed limits of up to 60mph, indicated by the electronic signs on overhead gantries, will be used when the managed motorway is in operation. When the managed motorway is not in use, national speed limit will apply between these junctions and the electronic signs will not be illuminated.

Drivers are reminded that the 50mph speed limit between junctions 25 and 26, and between junctions 28 and 30, remains in place while work on these sections continues: this is for the safety of road users and road workers.

The M62 managed motorway between junctions 25 (Brighouse) and 30 (Rothwell) is due to be completed in full later this year. For further information visit the project page at www​.highways​.gov​.uk/​r​o​a​d​s​/​r​o​a​d​-​p​r​o​j​e​c​t​s​/​m​6​2​-​j​u​n​c​t​i​o​n​s​-​2​5​-​t​o​-​3​0​-​m​a​n​a​g​e​d​-​m​o​t​o​r​w​ay/ or call the Highways Agency Information Line on 0300 123 5000. More details about the phased opening of the scheme can be found at www​.highways​.gov​.uk/​p​u​b​l​i​c​a​t​i​o​n​s​/​m​6​2​-​j​u​n​c​t​i​o​n​s​-​2​5​-​t​o​-​3​0​-​m​a​n​a​g​e​d​-​m​o​t​o​r​w​a​y​-​p​l​a​n​-​o​f​-​t​h​e​-​o​p​e​n​i​n​g​-​p​h​a​s​e​s​-​a​n​d​-​d​a​t​es/

You should instead concentrate on “fixing” the missing signage on the westbound carriageway from Tingley. When you join at Lofthouse all the 50 signs are still out in the central res and side of the carriageway and then repeated again half way along that stretch to Tingley. After Tingley they suddenly disappear (they’re still there but folded down) but there are no more 50 signs and no national speed limit signs or ‘end’ to mark the end of the 50 speed limit either. Nothing on any of the matrixes at all. So is the 50 limit still in place westbound there or not? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: The lack of signage to say it’s ended would suggest it’s still active, despite the lack of signs.

Someone needs their arse kicking and it needs sorting out.

Just after J28 Westbound there is a sign on either side of the carriageway stating that variable speed limit now applies. Eastbound there are 2 large 50 signs as you pass over the junction.

West of J28 is now a free for all again but everybody is still doing 50 ffs.

Truckbling:
Just after J28 Westbound there is a sign on either side of the carriageway stating that variable speed limit now applies.

Partly correct. Just come along there an hour ago and there is now a sign “variable speed limit” (that’s all it says) but that’s within 50 yards of ‘50’ signs either side of the carriageway so it’s far from clear what you’re meant to be doing speed wise. I do tend to agree that as there’s no limit showing on the now working matrix gantries that NSL applies although HA would could put an end to the confusion in approx 5 seconds by setting the NSL logo on them. :confused:

Rob K:

Truckbling:
Just after J28 Westbound there is a sign on either side of the carriageway stating that variable speed limit now applies.

Partly correct. Just come along there an hour ago and there is now a sign “variable speed limit” (that’s all it says) but that’s within 50 yards of ‘50’ signs either side of the carriageway so it’s far from clear what you’re meant to be doing speed wise. I do tend to agree that as there’s no limit showing on the now working matrix gantries that NSL applies although HA would could put an end to the confusion in approx 5 seconds by setting the NSL logo on them. :confused:

A decent driver would know the speed limit but sadly as you are an agency driver you have no idea whatsoever. :smiling_imp:

Rob K:
Although HA would could put an end to the confusion in approx 5 seconds by setting the NSL logo on them. :confused:

The electronic signage will not take the NSL sign.

If there are still roadworks hard signage showing 50’s, then either there is still a stretch of roadworks with a TRO to cover it, if so you should also come across a roadworks “END” sign.
Or yes, they’ve forgotten to drop the signs, if this is the case phone the HA information line and complain. 0300 123 5000

ps, this isn’t in our area YET, we get the next lot to be done!

The real Biffo:

They actually do. In white lights.

Truckbling:

The real Biffo:

They actually do. In white lights.

They don’t in our region. (We don’t have managed motorways…yet!)

Had 2 trips from hull to Bradford today so 4 times along m62 and cars still doing 40mph in middle lane. The police where saying about trucks driving to close maybe they should now be looking at cars going to slow.