Newtown mid Wales (from Poole)

Hi folks, any opinions on best route to the above - Wales is a bit of a closed book for me especially the middle bit - I was thinking of A34, M40, M6 and M55 Shrewsbury etc but that’s the long way round obviously but I don’t want to get stuck behind tractors and caravans etc :smiley:

No height restrictions, plant lorry.

Interestingly Google maps offers three routes - they are all 4h 13m give or take a minute. Even though the mileage is considerably different.

Thanks in advance.

The M54, A5 route is the longest but it’s the easiest and least likely to get stuck behind a tractor although the A458 from Shrewsbury onwards is a bit “minor country A road” until you get to Welshpool then it opens up a bit but not massively so. All of the others well all I’ll say is it’s a nice route to do on a sunny day when you’re not in a rush and they’d be considered B roads anywhere else in the country.

Going the Ross on Wye, Hereford, Leominster then A44 etc route you will get stuck crawling through Hereford at a steady walking pace and once through there it’s tractor land with little overtaking opportunity.

Sorry M54, my bad. :blush:

Where are you travelling from and final destination.

WheelsofCardiff:
Where are you travelling from and final destination.

Poole to Newtown :bulb:

Not sure about the Welsh leg but you’ll need to go past Bristol and easiest route is via Dorchester, Yeovil getting on the M5 at Taunton, believe it or not via the A350 is about 5 minutes quicker but a ball ache.

As Bald Bloke says to M5 then off at Worcester A44 to Leominster and on to A483 to Newtown.

i agree with the dorch, yeovil, illminster, M5 bit, thats what i always did as yard was on M5/M4 split

YARDDOG:
As Bald Bloke says to M5 then off at Worcester A44 to Leominster and on to A483 to Newtown.

Yeah, but…
The A44 to Leominster is a pig of a road, with some steep climbs and descents.
Maybe cross the bridge to Newport, up the 449, hook a left at Raglan, follow the A40, then take our pick, theA470 or the A483 from Builth…