NEWS: Weather warning -North & Midlands

With heavy snow and blizzards forecast for northern England, the Midlands and East Anglia later today ( Wednesday 31 December ), the Highways Agency is reminding drivers to take extra care on the roads.

An advance warning of heavy snow and blizzards likely to affect Scotland, North East and North West England, the Midlands, East Anglia and Lincolnshire has been issued on 31 December 2003 by the UK Met Office.

The Highways Agency is advising drivers to check for up-to-date information on weather and road conditions before they set off, and during their journey.

For weather conditions:

and for road conditions:

The Highways Agency, which manages England’s motorways and other strategic roads, has its own fleet of gritters on standby. Maintenance teams will grit and remove snow from motorways and other strategic roads where this is necessary to keep the roads safe and open.

In the event of severe weather the Agency will be working with police forces and local authorities to ensure the impact is minimised.

The Highways Agency and the Department for Transport’s Think road safety campaign are advising drivers to follow six key messages about driving safely in wintry weather. These are:

The British winter is changeable. If you must drive during severe weather, make sure you are prepared for the conditions.

Check local and national weather forecasts. Listen to travel information on radio.

Take care around gritters and snowploughs. Don’t be tempted to overtake snowploughs by squeezing into partially cleared lanes.

It can take ten times longer to stop in icy conditions. Allow extra room to slow down and stop.

Use the highest gear possible to avoid wheel spin. Manoeuvre gently and avoid harsh braking and acceleration. If you start to skid, gently ease off the accelerator and try to avoid braking. If braking becomes necessary, brake very gently.

When driving in snow, make sure you’re equipped with warm clothes, food, water, boots, a torch and spade.

Oh well, I spose it had to come!! I just hope if its bad its short and well gone by the 5th!! :slight_smile:

Mal.

i hope the snow spreads to the thames valley i love it and driving in it what a sad git i am

LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I remember how 6" would stop traffic back there. We have had a major thaw over the last week but there is still 18" outside and Monday I drove through Lake Placid and it was still 4" deep on the roads, Ski area towns do not clear the snow from road because it keeps the tourists happy, you just have to cope and drive through it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR :smiley:

Pat Hasler:
LOL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I remember how 6" would stop traffic back there. We have had a major thaw over the last week but there is still 18" outside, … you just have to cope and drive through it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR :smiley:

Quite right Pat. But our 6" turns into ICE as soon as it gets compressed at all, your 18" will still be compressed snow after a week of being driven over. Cast your mind back to the difference in the driving on ice rather than compressed snow, I know from spending many years in Germany. One year I was on night shift snow clearing, at -42C, the roads were covered in snow for about two months. Relatively easy to drive on.