NEWS: French national strike 10/3/05

PARIS (AFX) - French unions covering the state electricity and gas companies
Electricite de France and Gaz de France and the national rail company SNCF said
their members will be joining a national strike called for next Thursday in
protest against government economic and labour reforms.

The stoppage is expected to effectively paralyse the country on the day and put
President Jacques Chirac’s conservative government under pressure to roll back
measures aimed at cutting high unemployment and a public deficit that violates
euro zone rules.

The strike will come on the second day of a visit by a 13-member delegation from
the International Olympic Committee which is evaluating Paris’s bid to host the
2012 Olympic Games.

Union leaders have promised not to disrupt the inspection.

Workers at Disneyland Paris would also join the strike action, unions said, to
call for a pay-rise, double time on Pentecost Monday and the defence of the 35-
hour week.

I got held up in a strike in Angers this week. the Police closed the road while the protestors lobbied the drivers stuck in traffic jams!

When the girl realised I was English and was willing to sign the petition, they brought the TV cameras. :smiley:

I just signed it and was waved through the blockade. I never saw the news that evening though, Am I famous?

Any updates guys? :unamused:

Service Disruption 9th March 2005
Sea France

Due to industrial action in France, from 2200 09th March, through to 2345 10th March all sailings are suspended. You are advised to contact our Contact Centres for further information.

Eurotunnel 09/03/2005 - 12:13:32
Info: Industrial action in France

A National strike has been called in France as of 2200 Wednesday 9th of March 2005, and will last for 24 hours. Eurotunnel are not involved and therefore the service will be running as normal, however a high level of traffic could result in delays.

P&O Ferries
P&O Ferries is operating its services as frequently as possible and is sorry for any inconvenience that might arise from any delays caused by circumstances beyond the company’s control.

Cross-Channel ferry passengers, already experiencing delays due to on-going berthing difficulties in the port of Calais, face further disruption tonight and tomorrow when the French CGT union calls a national strike over employment legislation.

Calais port is expected to be closed from 22:00hrs today for 24 hours. As a result P&O Ferries will suspend services to Calais after today’s 16:40hrs departure from Dover.

Norfolkline stated on the phone to me at 17:00 hrs that they were very busy but remained open, they could not guarantee that they would not be targeted by pickets etc. They recommend that you use the M2/A2 to enter Dover for Norfolkline services.

Also expect operation stack to be running soon with Calais being closed.

:frowning:

Latest News tonight

Transportation Strike Called in France

Wednesday March 9, 2005 7:46 PM

PARIS (AP) - Commuters face rail disruptions Thursday as unions planned major strikes across France, which will coincide with an International Olympic Committee inspection of Paris’ bid for the 2012 Summer Games.

Paris commuter trains would be hardest hit, with only about 20 percent of suburban lines running, while half of France’s long distance TGV trains would be suspended, the national rail authority said.

Eurostar links with London and Thalys services to Belgium were expected to run normally. International disruptions were expected to be limited to Artesia night trains between France and Italy.

The strikes were set to begin after the evening rush hour Wednesday and end at midnight Friday.

The work actions, which come amid a wave of labor discontent, were an embarrassment to officials who are hosting Olympic officials through Saturday.

Both trade union and bid officials say the timing of the strikes is unrelated to the IOC visit in Paris. Trade unions have pledged support for the games, which would create a windfall of extra jobs.

Unions have also pledged not to disrupt the IOC visit and are working with the Paris police department to make sure the two don’t cross paths.

Nonetheless, Olympic inspectors will get a close-up view of French labor and the protests raise the question of whether an Olympics in Paris would be disrupted if workers walk off the job in the summer of 2012.

In Paris, authorities forecast significant subway disruptions and said that service on more than a dozen lines would be rerouted because of expected street protests.

Trade unions have called for a massive demonstration in Paris to defend the 35-hour work week and to push for more jobs and pay talks.

On Wednesday, scientists nationwide were protesting a draft law that would provide more state funding for research but which protesters contend remains inadequate.

A student protest in Paris a day earlier turned violent, when hundreds of troublemakers interrupted a peaceful rally against planned curriculum reforms.

Much of the discontent is over proposed reforms to France’s welfare system and labor laws. The nation’s conservative government, trying to control its deficit line with European Union limits, wants people to contribute more to their health care and has trimmed the generosity of state pensions. Public sector workers oppose plans to reform the 35-hour work week to allow more overtime.

The last public transit strike in January caused wide disruptions.

DO we have any one that can say if the transport firms are joinihg in as well and what about possible blocking of roads, any ´ more info will
be very much wellcome thanks for those of us heading for france

Pete
Unfortunatly this is all we have!

The thing to remember is if you are going to France tomorrow.

The last public transit strike in January caused wide disruptions.

To be honest I think you can safely expect the same. Good luck.

Today’s Travel Report
10/03/2005 Message updated at 06.00 hours

Due to strike action the Port of Calais will be closed to all ferry traffic until 2100hrs this evening. Passengers with P&O Ferries and SeaFrance are advised to contact their operator for more information.

Although there are ongoing problems and restrictions at the Port of Calais, the Port of Dunkerque is operating normally and Norfolkline’s Dover - Dunkerque services will continue to accept passenger day trips and all excursion traffic. Norfolkline passengers are advised to take the M2/A2 route.

Speedferries’ sailings, from the Eastern Docks to Boulogne will resume again tomorrow morning.

Sea conditions in the channel are slight, with light airs and good visibility.

I knew there was another reason I took this week off, I remember it was because of this now. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

I got the last ferry out of Cherbourg on Wednesday night. We left at 23.45 but amazingly arrived in Poole at 4am. Normally it takes till 6.30

Both ships were in Poole and the crews were planning a day trip to Weatherspoons :stuck_out_tongue: :exclamation:

I have just had a mare of a week on the ferries :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I was due to ship out on Tuesday evening. I asked the Boss if it was worth me ‘nipping’ home and leavbing early hours Wed morning or did he want me to go to Dover Tuesday evening. He informed me to go Tuesday evening and that I was booked on Norfolk Line due to P&O’s problems. He also said to use the M2/A2 and let them know at the bottom of Jubilee Way I was using Norfolk.
So I meander down to Dover arriving at 2230. Inform the nice Policeman I am using Norfolk and he tells me so is every other driver and to go to the top of the hill!!
I thought sod that and went to the first roundabout and sneaked into the queue.
I arrive at the booth at 2345 and was booked onto the 0930 sailing!!! I asked the lady if I was missing something as there was mega queues for Norfolk and Sea France yet there were no queues for P&O!! She told me if I wanted to tranfer to P&O I would have to go back to the end of the queue!
I was parked on the dockside… closed the curtains and went to bed along with everyone else. At 0355, they woke us all up and moved us round the dock to the loading bays. I eventually arrived in Dunkerque at 1330!! Then I queued in the Office for 45 minutes to get my vignette!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR
15 hours to cross the channel.
I rang the Boss and told him NOT to send anyone Norfolk as the queues for the UK were stretched out the dock… the place seemed full of Poles and Czechs. In the meantime, one of my colleagues was heading for Calais. He arrived there at 1815, was booked onto the 1845, the ■■■■■■■ rang me at 1910 to let me know he had had his dinner, a shower and was heading for Dover!!! He said there were 6 trucks on the ship!
I reckon that it would have been better using P&O in the first place!
Coffee, you picked a good week to have off!!!
Incidentally, one of the stewards said on the boat last night that there will BE JUST ONE BERTH OPEN IN CALAIS ON MONDAY, TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY!! ABSOLUTE CHAOS. But he also said that P&O would be using ZeeBee for these three days to try and relieve the backlogs.

Just spoke to one of my mates who shipped today and he arrived in Dover at 11:50 and was on a ferry by 12:30.

As for this week No. 5 Berth will be inoperative from 06.00h on 14th March to 20.00h on 16th. They are supposed to be running into ZeeBee but according to the woman who booked my mate on today it will only be during the daytime as trhey have no one to work a night shift in Zebrugge.

The advantages of running a Sprinter Speed ferries here i come 14.3.2005 07:45 Dover - Boulogne return same day £66 bargain :smiley: