Newly Qualified

Hi,

Im a newbie to the site, I have spent several hours already looking through this site and looking at other newly qualified drivers stories. I qualified as a Class 2 driver at the end of last year, and for about a month have been applying to absolutely loads of jobs and agencies, however the ‘minimum 2 years experiance’ blockade is the bane of my life! Its throughly exasperating not being able to find work. I have only seen one example of a newly qualified driver finding work on this site!

I am willing to do (and have been applying to do) ANYTHING that will get me some experiance, including driving vans and 7.5 tonners. I have even started applying for jobs that have nothing to do with driving as I need a job now! So I asking if anyone knows of any work going in Bristol and the surrounding areas? Equally does anyone have any advice for me.

Thanks in advance!

FACE TO FACE talks with those that do the hiring seems to be the way and have all your kit including night out stuff in the boot in case its an immediate start … especially on a Monday morning

I have only seen one example of a newly qualified driver finding work on this site!

Should have gone to a well known opticians!!

There’s loads of people on here got work within a short time of passing their test. But, and ROG has already told you, you have to get out there and face people. Jobs are rarely advertised. There’s no need because drivers are out there looking for work. It’s easier now than it’s been for a long time so don’t give up.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks,

I have yet to try the face to face approach, guess what I will be doing first thing tomorrow morning?! I shall also pack myself an overnight bag and all my work gear now!

Well known optitions quote priceless :smiley: I’m glad to hear its easier now than it has been, that has instilled me with some more confidance!

Reply, I’d already signed up for my class 2 when I got a job at a place with about 50 vans, 20 7.5 tonners, and 2 12 tonners.

Started out doing easy drops on 7.5’s, then went multidropping on a van. Was ok, but I don’t really fit into Renault Masters, so they switched me across to a 7.5.

At my interview the TM there was no need to do my class 2 in his account, as he already had more than enough drivers for them on the books.

Within about 3 weeks of passing I was driving a brand spanking new 12 tonner into Central London, doing holiday cover etc.

After a few months, I was asked to share a 7.5 and a 12 with another driver, so he could have a 2 dayer.

Then the other 12 tonner driver left to work for Nobbies, so I snaffled his motor (cos it’s lovely) and I really hated wagon sharing.

Now I’m the only full-time HGV driver on the bank.

Badger companies. I applied for my current job and when I didn’t hear anything I sent another letter asking for reconsideration about 3 months later. I eventually got an interview and noticed the letter I’d sent was stapled to the file they had on me.

Be persistent and it will pay off eventually :sunglasses:

Give Jess a shout 24/7 in yate they have a lot of Rigid work.
P&H on the feeder
Clipper Avonmouth
Bibbiys to name a few.
You Could try CO-OP holds breath :open_mouth:
There’s a few places in the old Avonmouth Cold Store opposite the fire station have rigid trucks, 3993 etc.
then around the corner you have a few places by the truck stop.

Fishponds
Essential trading co-operative group,
Iron mountain Confidential document storage.

Keynsham Severnside waste paper, I J McGill.

nick2008 thank you very much, that is exactly what I need! I do not know very many haulage companies so that information is invaluable!

I will keep trying anyone and everyone!

Well I’ve done some pavement ponding in Avonmouth today and I’ve handed out about 20 CV’s. I have a meeting with another agency at 2pm and another on wednesday. I hope it all soon pays off! Several places that I have been into today have been stating the ‘2 year rule’ to me. I can only keep trying! It is promising reading all the accounts of other newbies who are now getting work.