Newly qualified driver working without DCPC, problem?

We’ve had an agency driver at our place this past week. While talking to him yesterday it became clear that he didn’t have a clue what the DCPC was about. He’s newly qualified (March 2011) so has no aquired rights, his training provider merely offered him the option of the cpc training but didn’t explain it’s importance, the agency haven’t asked/checked if he’s got it, and the employer (obviously) leaves it all up to the agency.

Is he breaking the law? What is the likely scenario if he’s stopped by police/VOSA? I don’t want to stick my nose into his business but he’s a decent bloke and I wouldn’t want to ignore something that might get him into hot water as he’s very keen to make driving his new full-time employment.

i think it depends on when he first got his licence. If he first got a car licence before 97 then i understand he has until sept 2014 to do the necessary. If his car licence started after 97 then he needs to have completed the dcpc hope so or i’m knackered too.

This is easy for me to say at my age(69), but if every driver said bugger it I’m not doing the DCPC, What could they do about it■■? there would be no one to drive anything, then they would be in the ■■■■.

There is a campaign being organised by another truck internet forum to have the DCPC scrapped in its current form and replaced with a better system. I believe they have asked the admin on here to post a link to the campaign page, so I won’t put it on here, but anyone interested can PM me for more details. Lets get this appalling legislation binned.

For new PCV drivers from September 2008 they will have to complete the following 4 modules. (Applies to LGV drivers from 10 September 2009)

Module 1 — Licence acquisition theory test — 100 multi choice questions and 19 hazard perception clips (cost £35 for multi choice & £15 for hazard perception)

Module 2 — Driver CPC theory test -1½ hours Case Study questions (cost £30)

Module 3 — Licence acquisition practical test - 1½ hours practical driving test (cost £115 weekdays £141 weekends)

Module 4 — Driver CPC practical test — 30 minutes practical demonstration of vehicle safety (cost £55 weekdays)

You must pass module 1 before you can take module 3 and you must pass module 2 before you can take module 4. Once all modules have been completed you will be issued with a Driver Qualification Card (DQC) by the DSA

Not done any periodic training yet but from what i’ve heard its abit of a joke. personally i’m up for the dcpc, i thought the intial cpc was useful and glad i did it.

According to this yes he does need to do it before driving. Luckily iv got acquired rights for my class c and pcv but i assume if i do my c+e Il fall into the newly qualified section and will need to complete it before undertaking c+e work.

drivercpc-periodictraining.org/en/affects/

Class2ldn:
According to this yes he does need to do it before driving. Luckily iv got acquired rights for my class c and pcv but i assume if i do my c+e Il fall into the newly qualified section and will need to complete it before undertaking c+e work.

drivercpc-periodictraining.org/en/affects/

I gained acquired rights on the basis of the class C1 they used to give away with car licenses.
I’m certain that I’ll also be covered to drive on the class C license that I passed yesterday :smiley:

(Thank you for giving me an excuse to say that)

Dr Dubya:
We’ve had an agency driver at our place this past week. While talking to him yesterday it became clear that he didn’t have a clue what the DCPC was about. He’s newly qualified (March 2011) so has no aquired rights, his training provider merely offered him the option of the cpc training but didn’t explain it’s importance, the agency haven’t asked/checked if he’s got it, and the employer (obviously) leaves it all up to the agency.

Is he breaking the law? What is the likely scenario if he’s stopped by police/VOSA? I don’t want to stick my nose into his business but he’s a decent bloke and I wouldn’t want to ignore something that might get him into hot water as he’s very keen to make driving his new full-time employment.

It seems like the only one who is bothered is you, maybe he did the initial CPC and didn’t realise that was what it is called, he probably thought it was just part of the theory and initial training.

Actually I have no problem with the DCPC for new drivers, they didn’t have the advantage many of us did by learning from an old hand.

I bet the only thing this bloke is thinking about is his new found status as a driver and earning some money.

Wheel Nut:
It seems like the only one who is bothered is you, maybe he did the initial CPC and didn’t realise that was what it is called, he probably thought it was just part of the theory and initial training.

Probably, but other drivers helped me when I was a newbie so thought I’d try to return the favour, especially as VOSA and/or Police have a regular check point near to our depot, so it’s unavoidable for all our company’s trucks every day of the week.

Barring the usual cockups would DVLA have issued his licence if he hadn’t completed all the necessary training. I would have thought if required he would have to have completed the dcpc before they would update his licence. I would imagine if you haven’t completed 35 hours of training by Sept 2014 that existing licences would have the entitlement removed.

I believe you can still get your LGV entitlement on your licence regardless of getting your DCPC because there are a number of exceptions, as listed in the link posted by Class2ldn.

You still have a valid licence even after 2014, the DCPC only allows you to “drive commercially”

Rog tells me this;

Take it as you will :unamused:

If a driver does not have a DQC when they should have one then it invalidates all the insurance

there is a big fine (no points) for both driver and operator (not agency) if no DQC when there should be

if you got C before Dcpc came in your ok til 2014

My son has been driving about a year without a dcpc and has had no problems, despite being stopped by both Police and VOSA at least 6 times.

According to VOSA there is no fixed penalty in place which is probably why they have no interest in checking them. Until that changes all they would be able to do is issue a verbal warning because there is no way VOSA would ever waste time and money taking such a minor offence to court, bearing in mind that there must be thousands of new drivers who don’t have a dcpc.

paberriman:
I gained acquired rights on the basis of the class C1 they used to give away with car licenses.
I’m certain that I’ll also be covered to drive on the class C license that I passed yesterday :smiley:

(Thank you for giving me an excuse to say that)

Congratulations on passing your C, Paberriman! :sunglasses: